Dawn vs. Jewel

Ron_L

We're thinking about taking a western Caribbean cruise in the fall of 2013 (Most likely early December). It will be my wife and me and we're in our 50s. We're foodies and enjoy comedy, karaoke as a spectator and relaxing on the ship. We're not much into the shows but will typically go to one a cruise.

This will be our first cruise on NCL after three on Carnival. I've narrowed it down to the Dawn out of Tampa or the Jewel out of New Orleans. Both are close enough in price so that's not a decision point. We've been to the ports except for Costa Maya but for Roatan and Belize it's been since 2009.

Since we've never been on NCL, what are the differences between the two ships and which is your preference, and why?

Also, Is there a big difference between the departure ports (besides the additional activities in New Orleans like Bourbon Street)? Is one better to sail from than the other?

Thanks for your help!

I was just on the Jewel in November and there was no comedy or karaoke that I could find. The food in the MDR was just so-so. The Jewel is a beautiful ship and the service was great. But if comedy, karaoke and food is high on your list I would stay with CCL or look at Royal Caribbean.

I have been on both ships and I must say that I much prefer the Jewel class ships. In fact have been on the Pearl, Jewel, Pearl and now going on the Gem over the past 2 years.

With that said, the Jewel is typically a Nickolean ship, so you may get a few more kids on this ship, although you are not talking about a school vacation time.

I had a hard time deciding also so I booked the Dawn for February and the Jewel for March. I researched and could not make up my mind.

That's one option :D

I have been on both ships and I must say that I much prefer the Jewel class ships. In fact have been on the Pearl, Jewel, Pearl and now going on the Gem over the past 2 years.

With that said, the Jewel is typically a Nickolean ship, so you may get a few more kids on this ship, although you are not talking about a school vacation time.

Thanks!

We don't mind kids, but since ours is grown we are free to choose times with fewer kids.

The Jewel is going to be a newer ship and it will also have the Great Outdoors outdoor eating area/grill at the back behind the buffet. Any specific category of room you are looking at?

Most likely an ocean view, probably on the lower decks, midship. My wife is susceptible to motion sickness so I think the lower decks are better. We've been on the lower decks in the past and took ginger pills and she didn't have a problem.

I've also been on both...and while I did like the Dawn the most, I'd be happy on either again! I have also been to NOLA and wasn't impressed with Bourbon Street....I guess I just didn't realize it would be all cheap souvenir and and T-shirt shops!! I've also never been to Tampa but if its as easy to board as it is in Miami, I go for that!

Either way, I don't think you can go wrong.....but I'm not a foodie and, as long as I don't have to do dishes, I'm OK with most food!!:o

Have a great cruise, which ever you decide to do!!

We have been on the Dawn and the Jade (former Pride of Hawaii) which is a jewel class ship. Both ships are very nice and about the same size, however, we prefer the jewel class because of The Great Outdoors on the aft of the ship. Very nice for breakfast. The Dawn and the Star have the kids pool back there.

Unless booking the SJ suite on the Dawn (we just booked for 2014 after cruising in similar cabin on the Star this spring :)), I'd choose Jewel class hands down.

There are several reasons (these can be easily found by using the search tool too, this question has been asked alot), for me the most important ones:

- Great Outdoors outdoor buffet / eating area

- Jewel class ships have better buffet layout

- Dawn class ships are remodelled and Spinnaker Lounge is now a windowless cave on deck 7 instead of the original location on deck 12 like on the Jewel class ships. The area that used to be the best panoramic hangout place on the ship is now all suites with floor-to-seiling windows and some inside cabins.

Jewel because its newer and the outdoor garden buffet area. There seemed to be endless hours of Kareoke in the bar/lounge area Deck 7 each evening on our last sailing Sep/Oct '12. We loved New Orleans, but I haven't cruised out of Tampa.

Pick the time when you sail and there won't be many kids. When they're in school is the best time. We only had about 20 on our last sailing and we hardly saw them. One of the pools on the main upper deck is designated adults only.

I too have been on both. Would go on either but given a choice Jewel due to Great Outdoors and Blue Lagoon. (hated Dawn's BL, loved Jewel's).

Although I am now addicted to the suite life on NCL when I was on the Jewel it was in a midship outside on deck 5. It was great. Quiet and stable. Loved it.

Everybody has kind of said the same thing, but I'll chime in anyway. I've sailed on the Star (sister ship to the Dawn) and the Pearl (sister to the Jewel) and I prefer the Jewel-class ships.

The Great Outdoors is a nice benefit, but I just found the Pearl easier to get around on than the Star, although I can't explain exactly why.

But, that said, you really can't go wrong with either ship. It's a cruise, after-all. :)

I was just on the Jewel in November and there was no comedy or karaoke that I could find. The food in the MDR was just so-so. The Jewel is a beautiful ship and the service was great. But if comedy, karaoke and food is high on your list I would stay with CCL or look at Royal Caribbean.

So there were no comedian at an evening show? No Second City Comedy Troupe? No karaoke? This would be a first on a NCL cruise.

So there were no comedian at an evening show? No Second City Comedy Troupe? No karaoke? This would be a first on a NCL cruise.

One night there was a card magician who told a few jokes and yes no 2nd City or karaoke. Guess they took a land vacation. :D

We're going on our first NCL cruise in January 2014 and booked the Jewel simply because she sails out of NOLA and that's one of our favorite cities in the world. I'm glad to hear so many positive things being said about the ship. We will be in a mini-suite, how are those staterooms?

Susan

GO JEWEL..! Star Has No Great Out Doors,:mad: And A Very "SMALL" Pool space taken up by not one but 2 water slide's. And the Spinnaker Lounge is up forward were it should be:) and not down in the basement like on the star.:mad:

Thanks, everyone! It seems like the Jewel is the favorite so far.

A few of you have mentioned the Spinnaker lounge. On the NCL web site the description for both ships is identical, but on the deck plans they are clearly is different places on the ships. What activities are in there that the location would make a difference?

A few of you have mentioned the Spinnaker lounge. On the NCL web site the description for both ships is identical, but on the deck plans they are clearly is different places on the ships. What activities are in there that the location would make a difference?

Most late night entertainment activities are held in the Spinnaker Lounge, including White Hot Party, game shows, dancing events, late night comedy shows etc. The new location on the Dawn class ships is flat and tightly packed, very different experience than on the Jewel class.

The main point (for me and many others) is that the Spinnaker Lounge is a great place to hang out during daytime too (also other than bingo and such daytime activities), on the deck 12 the views are great so you can really see the sea/port etc and on the Dawn class ships there is no such publicly available indoor location anymore.

Most late night entertainment activities are held in the Spinnaker Lounge, including White Hot Party, game shows, dancing events, late night comedy shows etc. The new location on the Dawn class ships is flat and tightly packed, very different experience than on the Jewel class.

The main point (for me and many others) is that the Spinnaker Lounge is a great place to hang out during daytime too (also other than bingo and such daytime activities), on the deck 12 the views are great so you can really see the sea/port etc and on the Dawn class ships there is no such publicly available indoor location anymore.

Makes sense. Thanks!

I'm digging through reviews looking at pictures, etc. and I'm sure that we would have a great time on either ship. It looks like either November before Thanksgiving of the first two weeks of December are the sweet spot for prices. We cruised in early December this year on the Carnival Imagination and Breeze and it worked out well with the number of kids and the weather so we may look at that timeframe again.

No problem, I'm sure that in either case you'll have a great cruise as the ships are more alike than different.

The things that I'm talking about are nothing big, just some little annoyances but nothing that would ruin my cruise in any way. But that said, if I can make a choice that makes my cruise closer to being perfect to suit me, of course I'll make it. :)

No problem, I'm sure that in either case you'll have a great cruise as the ships are more alike than different.

The things that I'm talking about are nothing big, just some little annoyances but nothing that would ruin my cruise in any way. But that said, if I can make a choice that makes my cruise closer to being perfect to suit me, of course I'll make it. :)

That's pretty much how we feel. Any time spent on a ship and visiting the Caribbean is great, but if our decision of the ship can make it even better why not take the time to do the research.

We've enjoyed all three of our cruises so far and each was different. I want to try some other lines just to see what is unique about each. Our roll call group from this year is considering either RCCL or Celebrity for 2014 so if we decide to cruise in 2013 that would be a good chance to try NCL.

We have been on the Dawn and the Jade (former Pride of Hawaii) which is a jewel class ship. Both ships are very nice and about the same size, however, we prefer the jewel class because of The Great Outdoors on the aft of the ship. Very nice for breakfast. The Dawn and the Star have the kids pool back there.

The great outdoors is defenitly a plus. Each time on the Jewel class I go at least once if not more to dinner at the Italian restaurant and request to sit outdoors. It makes a really nice experience for only an extra $10 per person, and let me say, we are not doing it for the food.

The great outdoors is defenitly a plus. Each time on the Jewel class I go at least once if not more to dinner at the Italian restaurant and request to sit outdoors. It makes a really nice experience for only an extra $10 per person, and let me say, we are not doing it for the food.

Italian restaurant now costs $15 per person.

Archived