Favorite splurge on the ship that says, "I am on vacation"

RIvacationgirl

Here's another, but it's not a splurge. If the question is, "How do I know I'm on Vacation?". My answer is - when I take the first step on to the ship. That is the one big thing I start focusing on in the final weeks leading up to the cruise...the very first step on to the ship. Wow, what a great feeling.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Embarkation day, right after lunch, I order a Miami Vice which is half strawberry daiquiri and half pina colada. I saw an article on this drink before our very first cruise in 2009 and made it a tradition of getting one as my first drink on our cruise. I only have one.......which is good because I really don't like it! But....you just can't argue with tradition!

I will definitely have to try one of these. Sounds very "I am in vacation mode- let the fun begin!"

Even though I consider my vacation started the second I walk out of work that one last time, the real moment for me is driving up to the port and seeing those ships in port:D

It will never get old - never!!!!

We cruised for the first time last April. I had never seen a cruise ship in person until we entered the terminal. It was an exciting moment as well as a little overwhelming! I look forward to this feeling again soon.:D

We cruised for the first time last April. I had never seen a cruise ship in person until we entered the terminal. It was an exciting moment as well as a little overwhelming! I look forward to this feeling again soon.:D

I was floored by the size of the Sovereign of the Seas, and it was not huge by any stretch of the imagination. I will never forget seeing it from the road as we approached the terminal at Port Canaveral. I can't imagine the feeling I'll get when I see Epic in March!

Our first cruise (Spirit in 2011) was definitely cost restrained. We were on our honeymoon and had little funds for "extra" stuff. That said, simply being on the boat was a "we are on our first vacation" moment. This go round, I'm purchasing a spa pass. I've never been to a spa, but the idea of being able to lounge on heated loungers and sit in a hot tub/jacuzzi with absolutely no children around just sounds like luxury to me. The crowd is the reason we avoided the public pool on Spirit.

Spa Pass.

Best splurge of the cruise is the spa pass, especially on a longer itinerary where there are multiple sea days. I also love eating in Le Bistro, so that's now a mandatory splurge. And on the Sky, I got addicted to Bingo when I won $28! :cool: So now I have to play the last Bingo game of the cruise because you might win a free cruise for two, but you have to be present to win! ;)

Are you guys cruising this winter?

Hey Barb, Hope you had a Merry Christmas and the family is well! Yes, we are sailing at the end of February and back on the Sun again. We love the 11 day itinerary this year as most of them are new ports for us. What about you? Are you heading out this year?

Happy New Year!

BlueJai & Newtonville Dan (Dan & Jai)

Hey Barb, Hope you had a Merry Christmas and the family is well! Yes, we are sailing at the end of February and back on the Sun again. We love the 11 day itinerary this year as most of them are new ports for us. What about you? Are you heading out this year?

Happy New Year!

BlueJai & Newtonville Dan (Dan & Jai)

We had a wonderful Christmas! We loved the Sun and would love that itinerary but we are doing the Dawn on school break week in February- back to Roatan, Costa Maya, Belize and Cozumel.

I hope our cruising paths will cross again sometime! You guys enjoy that 11 day cruise this year!

Barb

Embarkation day, right after lunch, I order a Miami Vice which is half strawberry daiquiri and half pina colada. I saw an article on this drink before our very first cruise in 2009 and made it a tradition of getting one as my first drink on our cruise. I only have one.......which is good because I really don't like it! But....you just can't argue with tradition!

That is my first drink once I board as well. It doesn't matter what ship, what cruise line, what itinerary (cold or warm)...the first thing I do is order a Miami Vice (or others call it a Lava Flow) and get a seat on the pool deck. Vacation has now started....after I finish it, then I head to eat lunch. Except, I LOVE these drinks. It may not be a big $$ splurge, but it is a big calorie splurge. With all the other liquor and food I consume, I try to limit how many of these I have!

Funny though..on my last cruise in November, I ordered my drink...and out comes a MANGO Lava Flow...it was orange.. The look on my face must have scared the pool server. He immediately went back to the bar and fetched a strawberry one for me (for free!). I then had two drinks :)

Last summer I was on the plane, final approach to Barcelona. I looked out of the window and saw....Norwegian Spirit sitting there waiting for me. Then I knew I was almost there. Checked in and waiting to board, saw two crew members heading our way as they recognised us from our cruise 7 months earlier. I knew I was home. Get on board and buy a cocktail, first of many that week. My splurge is cocktails.

Only 5 and a bit weeks to go before I do it all again....

Really just the moment we walk onto the ship is our "We're on vacation!" moment. :)

that's pretty much how we feel. I might go to the spa,but not always and we do take advantage of the alternative dining rooms about 1/2 of the nights...that is about it for us...now I feel like I am on vacation when I enter the cabin and see all the printed information on the desk or the bed, telling us about any OBC we may have coming, parties, or sample that first glass of wine.

Last summer I was on the plane, final approach to Barcelona. I looked out of the window and saw....Norwegian Spirit sitting there waiting for me. Then I knew I was almost there. Checked in and waiting to board, saw two crew members heading our way as they recognised us from our cruise 7 months earlier. I knew I was home. Get on board and buy a cocktail, first of many that week. My splurge is cocktails.

Only 5 and a bit weeks to go before I do it all again....

Have a great cruise!

Not a splurge..but...

Stepping onto the ship is a really nice feeling of anticipation......but once my luggage has arrived, phone is in safe and I have a drink in hand..THEN..I know vacation starts..:) I feel so relaxed...

That's so funny because a Miami Vice always tells me I'm on vacation, but I love them.

I thought vacation started when I sign my credit card slip at the desk have my Photo taken and get my ship key..

But !!!! on a recent cruise at the desk my phone rings with D.D.( who just droped us off 1/2 hr before )

" Dad I'M O K but I kinda Wreaked your car . It is being towed home. Have a good vaca , love you bye "

WORST KEY PHOTO EVER

Locked phone in safe , Like new van:)

I got a nice little giggle at your post. Not funny for you I'm sure, but I have this picture in my head of your picture. hehehe

Paying $8.00 for a mixed drink and drinking more than one in a day. Even though my kids are all grown and on their own I remain in "Mom mode" when I am home in case one of them calls with a problem or issue (even though none of them live close) I feel I have to always be ready to drive or fly to help. So once I set foot on the ship and have a drink in my hand I shut down "Mom mode" and just do whatever I please.:D

Archived