documents/bookng

Hawaiidan

Question, heard someone say that it is required that you complete registration 3 days prior to your cruise? Why? I have read nothng that says that. Is this an urban legend?

So, I have a reciept form my credit card for the cruise, a cabin number and a passport.Why can't I just show up the day of the cruise and complete check in. I am not a fan of electronic check in and would lke to totaly avoid it. I dont see the need for bag tags If I am checking in at the ship from flyng...They would conflict with airlnes.

I have read that 30 days before the cruise the line will send me an e-mail or regular mail confirming my payment . It is now 24 days and no word.

Question, heard someone say that it is required that you complete registration 3 days prior to your cruise? Why? I have read nothng that says that. Is this an urban legend?

So, I have a reciept form my credit card for the cruise, a cabin number and a passport.Why can't I just show up the day of the cruise and complete check in. I am not a fan of electronic check in and would lke to totaly avoid it. I dont see the need for bag tags If I am checking in at the ship from flyng...They would conflict with airlnes.

I have read that 30 days before the cruise the line will send me an e-mail or regular mail confirming my payment . It is now 24 days and no word.

Department of Homeland Security requires cruise lines to provide their passenger manifests ahead of time. Once you show up at the port, the ship has 90 minutes to turn in the final manifest. You don't put any baggage tags on your luggage until AFTER you have completed your flight and are on your way to the port.

Final payment is due usually 75 to 90 days before sailing depending upon which cruise line. If you booked within that time period, you would have had to pay for the cruise when you made the reservation.

I don't think electronic check-in is required. Most people do it that way and print out their xpress pass in advance for convenience. It expedites the boarding process so you don't need to waste time filling out the forms when you check in at the port.

If you are going to do it at all, it needs to be done at least 3 days before because it is no longer available right before departure.

It is a secure site, so no problem entering your passport number or other such info if that is your concern.

If setting up a credit card account, you only need to enter the last 4 digits, or, if you prefer, you can check that you will use a cash account and then switch it to a credit card account when you board.

It is quick and easy to get your bags tagged at the pier when you turn them over to the porters, so there is no need to get luggage tags in advance. Luggage tags are readily available at the pier and you can either fill them out yourself or let the porters do it for you.

As for confirming your payment, if you booked the cruise and paid for it yourself online, your payment information should appear in your online account and you can print off a copy if you like. Your account should show the amount paid and zero remaining balance due.

If you used a travel agent, Celebrity will not show you any of your payment information in your account and you will need to have your travel agent send it to you.

There are some ports with high security where they stop all vehicles at the port entrance when you drive up and ask to see your passport and verification that you are booked for the cruise before you can gain entry to the port.

At other ports, anyone can drive right up without needing to show anything at all.

There are good arguments for putting bag tags on prior to flying ( they are so different from the airlines' bar coded tags that there is no chance of them causing confusion ) but they are not required.

Passengers show up all the time without having done the online Xpress pass. fewer every year, to be sure, but it happens all the time. You will have to fill out the forms at the check in desk. It holds up your boarding by only a few minutes.

Why put the tag on before leaving home? Well, one reason is that should the bags go astray, this shows not to waste time contacting your home address as listed on the ID tag attached to your bag. As shown by the departure date listed on the cruise tag, you will not be home!

I spoke to one cruise "greeter" who said that they keep a lookout for unclaimed bags circling the baggage claim conveyor belts and if they see cruise tags attached it helps to get passenger and bag reunited more quickly.

But many people don't like to put their luggage tags on until they are at the pier. Do what you are comfortable doing

Clearly out weigh the hassle of doing it standing in line at a crowded/busy port. (At least for me, and my computer/typing skills are almost non-existent!:o)

With all my past (at least Celebrity) cruises, (total of 9 with 3 on Celebrity) the total amount of time at the check in counter was reduced to 120-180 seconds, and most of that was for the rep to walk down to the "card bank" and pull it out of the stack. :eek:

All I did was show them my printed-at-home "express pass," (to prove that we did indeed have a reservation on the cruise, my passport, to prove I was who I said I was and that we were legal to travel, and my credit card, to be matched with me and my reservation, and guarantee their source of payment. :)

Literally, less than 3 minutes, I could hardly believe it myself. It made me a VERY happy camper and a true fan of online check in. Just DO IT!!! :D

I don't put the CRUISE LINE luggage tags on until AFTER collecting the bags from the airlines. They REALLY do make the crew's job of delivering the right bags to the right room much easier, faster, and more accurately/efficiently. Makes the bag MUCH easier to quickly identify and reduces possibility of lost bags, too.;)

I am not certain as to the "why" about the 3 day window but even in this ALMOST- instantaneous electronic communication age, I would think they would like some cushion to make sure everything is in order prior to sorting people into "express pass" check in procedures and "walk up" check in procedures.

To you all... I have alwas filled out stuff at checkin at the port and never had what I would call a bad experience.

I am not into all the elecronic games as I only have one laptop and use it purely for e-mail and stuff like this. I do not look up bankaccounts, give credit cards or passport stuff out across the internet .

Why? Well one of my best friends who happens to be an international banking security consultant to some of the biggest financial names in the world Told me never to put personal data on a computer that you used on line and never, never, ever use wireless of anything important.

Like you I inquired why..

He gave me a demo with some hardware/programs he was traveling with... He walked into 4 different computers, one while using an encripted program, while their owners had them on, and one guy while he was typing an e-mail.. we could read it at the same time whle we breached the simple firewall and could have down loaded the whole drive or searched it.

Many of you will say...nah you cant do that.... well amigo I watched it done....admittedly by a genus...but did it and did it fast .

None of these folks has any idea he was in their hard drive... scary

Since banks pay him high 6 figures a year, I sort of thought I might learn.

Message, if you can access a site, even a protected site a bad guy with the skill and desire can own you. THe bad guysl, like bears know where the bees go to put the honey.

His message was to use hard wire phone on a secure line to transact any financial or important data exchange with out exception .

I am not so important nor do I have such limited time that a 30 to 50 min delay on getting on the ship even remotely worries me... Its a fair trade off

To you all... I have alwas filled out stuff at checkin at the port and never had what I would call a bad experience.

I am not into all the elecronic games as I only have one laptop and use it purely for e-mail and stuff like this. I do not look up bankaccounts, give credit cards or passport stuff out across the internet .

Why? Well one of my best friends who happens to be an international banking security consultant to some of the biggest financial names in the world Told me never to put personal data on a computer that you used on line and never, never, ever use wireless of anything important.

Like you I inquired why..

He gave me a demo with some hardware/programs he was traveling with... He walked into 4 different computers, one while using an encripted program, while their owners had them on, and one guy while he was typing an e-mail.. we could read it at the same time whle we breached the simple firewall and could have down loaded the whole drive or searched it.

Many of you will say...nah you cant do that.... well amigo I watched it done....admittedly by a genus...but did it and did it fast .

None of these folks has any idea he was in their hard drive... scary

Since banks pay him high 6 figures a year, I sort of thought I might learn.

Message, if you can access a site, even a protected site a bad guy with the skill and desire can own you. THe bad guysl, like bears know where the bees go to put the honey.

His message was to use hard wire phone on a secure line to transact any financial or important data exchange with out exception .

I am not so important nor do I have such limited time that a 30 to 50 min delay on getting on the ship even remotely worries me... Its a fair trade off

First things first.

My background. I have a BS in computer science. I work in the computer security field.

You SHOULD be absolutely careful when connecting to publicly available wifi. Like in coffee houses, airports, etc. Any place where you can setup for free and leave easily is a risky spot to connect to wifi. However, cruise ships are a different beast and there are absolutely signs of tampering if you know what to look for in order to protect yourself.

The real risk is arp poisoning. And it is really only risky where a person can collect information and escape quickly as it leaves a lot of evidence and is easy to detect. Additionally, unless a person has given up their real identity to acquire a valid SSL cert, then if they are using arp poisoning to spy on SSL websites via man in the middle, then they can easily be caught.

On a cruise ship, it is FAR too risky for a thief to do that. Arp poisoning isn't hard to detect. Not to mention, to get value, they would have to pay celebrity for the minutes to use on the wifi AND be performing man in the middle attacks which brings even more risk. More risk because anyone tech savy would recognize the attack.

So cruise ship? Risk is extremely low. With my setup, Google Chrome browser would warn me immediately when it received an SSL cert that doesn't belong to Google. When that happens, I know something is up.

As for viewing people's hard drives. If people share folders and leave them public for anyone and everyone, that isn't the computer's fault. That is a human's fault for not securing their data.

Now when it comes to starbucks and places like that, I would never use their wifi without using a VPN on top of it. That will prevent any easedropping via the attacks above.

However, on a cruise ship, again your risk factor is really low. People have nowhere to run and if caught, they are in deep doo doo as it is a felony and the evidence would be EASY to collect.

I have done online checkin for every cruise. I have about 15 credit cards, do all online payments. Ordered 95% of christmas gifts online. Do all back, social security, IRAs, etc online.

I just laugh at this concern.

Can something happen? Sure it can. Will it???

How did they do it the "other few times" you sailed with Celebrity?

I have done online checkin for every cruise. I have about 15 credit cards, do all online payments. Ordered 95% of christmas gifts online. Do all back, social security, IRAs, etc online.

I just laugh at this concern.

Can something happen? Sure it can. Will it???

Combined with the fact that you are likely doing all these things on your personal computer at your home. And if you have your wireless protected using WPA2 and a strong password, you have almost nothing to worry about.

All the things above are for public wifi. On your private wireless, unless you aren't securing it, you have little to worry about outside of a virus or weak passwords.

Now what is scary are companies that don't protect your information. You are far more likely to get your information stolen from companies you do business with or the states that keep your information. Those are much bigger targets due to the amount of information that can be stolen. E.g. South Carolina Dept of Revenue that just got hacked a couple of months ago. And SC was completely negligent and that is why they won't even release a full report of how it happened because it was totally preventable.

You don't need to do anything but show up and have your passport. I repeat, NOTHING ELSE IS NECESSARY. You don't need to print anything out, you don't need a booking number, nothing. Just you and your passport, and you're good to go.

Anything else you do is just to make the process a little easier at check-in. But it's really not all that burdensome.

I would suggest you have your cabin information when leaving your bags with the porter, however, so they can tag them appropriately.

Archived