Nov. 15 Riviera Transatlantic Review

Love.II.Cruise

We are looking at a TA cruise in April, 2014. Do they have cooking classes on all of the sea days? Just wondering.

If you are talking about Marina or Riviera the answer is usually yes, and usually two classes each day.

Cenia

We are looking at a TA cruise in April, 2014. Do they have cooking classes on all of the sea days? Just wondering.

If you are talking about Marina or Riviera the answer is usually yes, and usually two classes each day.

Cenia

CAG is correct on this for TA's on Marina or Riviera. ;)

Back from my long cruise, and just now catching up on your tale. It was a good read. I am now looking forward to the '13 TA on the Riviera even more. You have given me some ideas on what to do---and what not to do, too!

Thanks for all your efforts in posting this. I know how much work went into it.

Back from my long cruise, and just now catching up on your tale. It was a good read. I am now looking forward to the '13 TA on the Riviera even more. You have given me some ideas on what to do---and what not to do, too!

Thanks for all your efforts in posting this. I know how much work went into it.

You're very welcome! For a couple years I was the "lurker" on Cruise Critic and never posted... only used it to learn. I feel it is time to give back; so I try to do full reviews now with pictures.

I'm currently preparing for our Windstar Cruise review. I'm going through the pictures (including a new camera on this trip - waterproof). I should start posting hopefully be the end of this weekend on the Windstar board. ;)

I just wanted to post this since we bought it on the cruise. On Las Ramblas we went to a food market and bought white truffle oil. It was Pons Virgin Extra <trufa blancaa>. It is not the quality we are used to buying - which is Urbani White Truffle Oil. I would not recommend Pons. Just FYI.

I can't wait to get to Italy later this year and search out White Truffle Oil.

I just wanted to post this since we bought it on the cruise. On Las Ramblas we went to a food market and bought white truffle oil. It was Pons Virgin Extra <trufa blancaa>. It is not the quality we are used to buying - which is Urbani White Truffle Oil. I would not recommend Pons. Just FYI.

I can't wait to get to Italy later this year and search out White Truffle Oil.

The problem is, truffle oil isn't even made from truffles. It's made from an organic compound called 2,4-Dithiapentane—derived either naturally or from a petroleum base—mixed together with olive oil. Sure, that happens to be the most prevalant chemical odorant in real truffles, but using truffle oil is the culinary equivalent of dousing a custard with, say, artificial vanilla flavoring, or making soup from a chicken bouillon cube—worse, even at least it is made of chicken. Sorry, I recently read this & had to post.

The problem is, truffle oil isn't even made from truffles. It's made from an organic compound called 2,4-Dithiapentane—derived either naturally or from a petroleum base—mixed together with olive oil. Sure, that happens to be the most prevalant chemical odorant in real truffles, but using truffle oil is the culinary equivalent of dousing a custard with, say, artificial vanilla flavoring, or making soup from a chicken bouillon cube—worse, even at least it is made of chicken. Sorry, I recently read this & had to post.

I agree, but if you are getting the organic compound in a good dose, it really is tasty and very aromatic. We've learned that it varies significantly by brands. Currently our favorite is Urbani. We are still looking for something to beat it though. ;)

I agree, but if you are getting the organic compound in a good dose, it really is tasty and very aromatic. We've learned that it varies significantly by brands. Currently our favorite is Urbani. We are still looking for something to beat it though. ;)

I'll let you know if I hear about a product.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived