Sea Princess NZ cruise 12.01.13 Any suggestions?

Hi there, very excited about our cruise to NZ in 2 weeks time. Would really appreciate any and all advice/tips/suggestions on everything. Any ideas on must see or do activities in Ports we visit. Even on-board tips would be appreciated.

Anything anyone can tell me I'd love to hear.

Thank you.

Very excited :)

Ha, sorry! It would help to know what ports we're visiting! Fiordlands (Scenic cruising), Dunedin, Akaroa, Wellington, Napier, Tauranga, Auckland, Bay of Islands.

Just so excited about the whole trip and would love any feedback on both onboard and visiting the ports. :)

And no haven't been there before.

Did Sun Princess to NZ at end of November.

Found some good private tours. Had an amazing day with Terry Tours in Tauranga/Rotarua. Just google them

Auckland - you are right in the City so walk to Sky Tower. $23 NZ entry

Wellington - Get bus to City then walk to Cable Car $3 and walk back down to City via Gardens

Other ports we did Princess Tours for Taleri Gorge Train in Dunedin.

Hi there, very excited about our cruise to NZ in 2 weeks time. Would really appreciate any and all advice/tips/suggestions on everything. Any ideas on must see or do activities in Ports we visit. Even on-board tips would be appreciated.

Anything anyone can tell me I'd love to hear.

Thank you.

Very excited :)

I well understand your excitement.

Some 10 years ago I was desperately looking for a cruise to NZ...but there was nothing about, and I was almost tempted into getting onto a coastal freighter.

Then suddenly along came the Sapphire Princess, and we jumped at the chance to get onto one of her inaugral voyages between Aust and NZ

In fact we did it twice and more recently we were on Sun Princess (ex Bne) for the NYE cruise.

Although all three sister ships do similar itineries (SunP ex Bne, SeaP ex Syd and DawnP ex Mlb) in my view the Sea Princess cruise ex Sydney is the best... you begin with a magnificent sail away down Sydney Harbour and then two sea days before a full day scenic cruising fjordland (Absolutely intoxicating). Then you sail overnight between all your ports of call...meaning you wake up in a different city each morning. You also get to visit the Bay of Islands which the Sun P has to miss. You finish with another two sea days to recover on your way back to Syd.

There are many choices for what you do in each port (and you will see many suggestions on these forums), but this was our agenda:

Dundedin: Private Tour of Otago peninsular with Elm Wildlife.

Akaroa: Only one of two ports where you need to tender ashore. We did a liesurely walk around the french flavoured village, before catching one of the tour buses for a 2 hour examination of the local area. There is a Red London bus there also doing tours.

Wellington : TheTePapa museum is a must as is the "tram" up thru the gardens - the ships tour is as good as any

Napier: We arranged a private (and inexpensive) mini bus tour to two wineries and the chocolate factory. Also did a walk around the town. They had some 1930s style cars parked at the pier as we left and the barbers quartet played some great music

Tauranga: We have been to Rotorua before (but most pax go there if they haven't).Instead we booked the ship's tour to visit a horse stud and some deers. (unfortunately Shirley was ill so we had to cancel)

Auckland: we caught up with rellos, but we were there again last week (we flew this time) and a visit to Kelly Tarltons Undersea Adventure was good.... and we also went to the Sky Tower (which the grandchildren enjoyed ...but not my cup of tea).

You will find the ship grand...fifteen years ago one of the largest going round. You will have plenty of time to explore, but we spent a fair bit of time on Riviera Deck (at or near the bar) or next deck up where there is a daytime hamburger/hotdog grill. Great place to watch the frollicking in the pool below.

Don't miss the Ice Carving which they will probably do on Riviera deck the day after you leave the BoI.

I am sure you will enjoy your cruise

cheers

Milford Sound is magic but be sure to view Dusky and Doubtful as well.

IMGP0896copy_zps038200b9.jpg

Dusky Sound

IMGP0986_copy_zpse7f85d02.jpg

Akaroa Headland

8075fd9a.jpg

Wellington - can be windy and wet. You can do it on your own - no need for ship tour.

IMGP1379_copy_zpsb5f33641.jpg

Dunedin (Port Chalmers) - Taeiri Gorge Railway is very popular - much cheaper to organise privately (only if 1 ship in port).

IMGP1116copy_zps4eb73867.jpg

An interesting tour from Tauranga is to "Hobbit Town" - the set of "The Shire" in the new film. Set on a farm near Mata Mata. Most interesting if you are a film buff or Hobbit fan. It also includes a visit to a working farm.

When you visit Auckland, Kelly Tarlton's Sea Life Aquarium is well worth a visit. There's a unique penguin encounter that is the next best thing to actually visiting Antarctica. You can catch a free shuttle bus from close to the dock.

Dunedin (which is Gaelic for Edinburgh) has much to offer - beautiful churches, the only albatross colony situated on the mainland, the Taieri Gorge Railway - all able to be booked right on the dock at Port Chalmers if you don't take the cruise tours.

Sea Princess is due for renovation in September 2013, but is wearing well.

Restaurant food and service well up to expected Princess standards, but one or two slips in standard of service in Horizon bistro and room service surprised me - maybe those concerned were on their last cruise before taking their 2 month break! However, bringing these to the attention of Maitre d' resulted in sincere apology and a bowl of chocolate dipped strawberries.:) and we will certainly be cruising with Princess again.

Enjoy your cruise around New Zealand; it's a beautiful country.

Archived