Scenic cruising during Asia itinerary?

banditoo

We are looking at a couple of possible cruise itineraries from Beijing to Singapore including port stops in Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Thailand. There are quite a few sea days and I am wondering if anyone can tell me whether the cruising is scenic at all during the sea days between Beijing and Korea, between Shanghai and Hong Kong, between Hong Kong and Ho Chi Minh City, between HCMC and Beijing and between Bangkok and Singapore? Also wondering what the temps on the water are likely to be during October? Trying to decide on itinerary and also whether a balcony would be of any use to us.

A balcony is always of use to us regardless of itinerary or expected weather..Something about having a private outdoor space without the feeling of just looking out a (picture window) as the world passes by...Enjoy whatever is important to you during your travels.

A balcony is always of use to us regardless of itinerary or expected weather..Something about having a private outdoor space without the feeling of just looking out a (picture window) as the world passes by...Enjoy whatever is important to you during your travels.

I actually did rethink the ocean view vs balcony and for a cruise of this length, we will go for a balcony for that private outdoors opportunity.

Yah, I agree having your own private balcony is always a very nice-to-have, though of course one needs to consider the price involved.

Anyway, Singapore is one of the busiest ports in the world. You'll see plenty of ships as you sail in and out of Singapore.

See some of the ships in these pictures, which I took from the chair-lift going up the Luge on Sentosa island.

o6l6c3.jpg

11lo4e8.jpg

Further to my question about whether any of the cruising is scenic, I am wondering about the best side of the ship for a southbound cruise from Beijing to Singapore? It doesn't appear that there will be any scenery of note, so my next criteria would be for the most sun on our balcony especially in the morning and during the day on sea days. I am thinking the port side would give us the most sunlight as it would appear that side of the ship would mostly be facing south with a bit of an eastern angle. Recommendations?

We recently spent 30 days on the Costa Victoria. We began from Shanghai, where we got four days early.

The most scenic vista: Sailing in/out Halong Bay in Vietnam. Our sail-away was in the afternoon. We about two hours we passed the famous karsts, rock formations that are featured in a James Bond movie and the movie Indpchine. Many people take day or overnight junk rides to the karsts. I don't think it is necessary.

Our most scenic port was Hongkong. We were parked next to the Star terminal in Kowloon. So the ship overlooked Hong Kong Islands. Since we overnighted there, we could see the 8 p.m. light show on the harbor right from our ship.

We recently spent 30 days on the Costa Victoria. We began from Shanghai, where we got four days early.

The most scenic vista: Sailing in/out Halong Bay in Vietnam. Our sail-away was in the afternoon. We about two hours we passed the famous karsts, rock formations that are featured in a James Bond movie and the movie Indpchine. Many people take day or overnight junk rides to the karsts. I don't think it is necessary.

Our most scenic port was Hongkong. We were parked next to the Star terminal in Kowloon. So the ship overlooked Hong Kong Islands. Since we overnighted there, we could see the 8 p.m. light show on the harbor right from our ship.

The cruise I am looking at does not include Halong bay. The only Vietnam stop is Phu My (for Saigon) so I don't think we will see the beauty of Halong.

Archived