Western Med cruising scenery list? highlights?

sydfella

Hi all

Anyone know of any resources for highlights of shoreline scenery as we cruise along (in the little daylight there will be in motion)? First cruise so not sure if there will be much to see apart from when entering and departing ports?

Do the cruise lines list anything on board or make announcements or is one on their own with this?

I'm on the Norwegian Epic in May 2013 on a Rome return. Ports: Livorno, Marseille, Palma, Barcelona, Naples.

Thanks

Chris

You will only see land as you get close to docking or right after leaving a port. The ships quickly head out to sea....usually beyond sight of land. Cruising into (and out of) Naples can be interesting as you will get a view of the Bay of Naples, Mt Vesuvius, etc. But other wise, you will not see much of note.

Hank

If you want to see land you need to cruise Alaska- as the ship hugs the coast then and there is plenty of beautiful scnerary. The Caribbean is also beautiful as you come into port-I have not seen an area yet that was not worth seeing coming into port. Remember the Caribbean is mostly islands-so alot of water in between. Now, when going to Cayman or Jamaica you do see Cuba in the distance-but not close enough to really see anything.

If you want to see land you need to cruise Alaska- as the ship hugs the coast then and there is plenty of beautiful scnerary. The Caribbean is also beautiful as you come into port-I have not seen an area yet that was not worth seeing coming into port. Remember the Caribbean is mostly islands-so alot of water in between. Now, when going to Cayman or Jamaica you do see Cuba in the distance-but not close enough to really see anything.

You may not have noticed that OP specifically ask about the Western Med. Otherwise, we would agree that Alaska and Norway both offer interesting scenic itineraries. in fact, I guess we could also add Antartica to the mix :)

Hank

Thanks for the responses all. Looks like I better be making the most of the port entry / departures.

I was watching a documentary series "Francesco's Mediterranean Voyage" and although Eastern Med it has opened my eyes to just how much the Med has to offer beyond the big ticket destinations. I looks like this won't be my last Mediterranean cruise that's for sure!

You may not have noticed that OP specifically ask about the Western Med. Otherwise, we would agree that Alaska and Norway both offer interesting scenic itineraries. in fact, I guess we could also add Antartica to the mix :)

Hank

True Hank but where is the beautiful sceneary seen from the crusing ship in the westerm med? which was my point as I also told them there is none unless you count a blur of Cuba in the distance beautiful scenrary. So why did you make such a silly comment to me?

Hi all

Do the cruise lines list anything on board or make announcements or is one on their own with this?

Thanks

Chris

They advertise shopping on land, even provide maps (that are useless for anything else but shopping)

Thanks for the responses all. Looks like I better be making the most of the port entry / departures.

I was watching a documentary series "Francesco's Mediterranean Voyage" and although Eastern Med it has opened my eyes to just how much the Med has to offer beyond the big ticket destinations. I looks like this won't be my last Mediterranean cruise that's for sure!

You are from Australia-well for what it would cost for you to go to the Caribbean you could go a lot of places more beautiful in my mind. I only go to the Caribbean because it is convenient to where I live. Although there are some pretty beaches such as Maegan's Bay at St. Thomas and a lovely scenic village near costa Maya, the emerald pool waterfall in Dominica, and Puerto Rico ahsd a great rain forest, very scenic. so there are pretty areas to see in ports-just not necessarily from the cruisng ship. (BTW only Costa Maya is in the western Caribbean of those I mentioned) I have been all over the Caribbean.

When we cruised the Med last summer we really loved coming into Kotor and Venice both-but again between ports there was nothing so grand to see- we could have been in the Caribbean. We hope to do the Baltic in 2014 or 2015-glad to know from Hiltner it is beautiful just to see from the cruising ship like Alaska. Our favorite thing in Alsaka was sitting in the hot tub at 10 pm or later and looking at the snow capped mountains. Maybe we can do that in the Baltic too since that is the land of the midnight sun too.

Archived