Will we regret not doing formal night?

radgal72

First elegant night is not to be missed... lobster, prime rib, everyone dolled up.

Some people's idea of "dolled up" is very different than others. On our Ecstasy cruise, "dolled up" meant ripped jeans, t-shirts and bandannas.

We are cruising on the Pride February 3rd. We had no plans on doing formal nights. Will we regret it? My kids are 21,18 and 11. This will be the 21 year olds first cruise. We sailed with Disney earlier this year and my two younger kids did not like to eat in the MDR because it took to long. I am worried we may regret not doing at least one formal night. Other than formal attire, what makes formal night different than any other night?

Another way for the cruise ships to make $$$, unless on Cunard you will never be turned away from MDR unless your attire is totally out of line. I Never go formal but just enjoy people watching.

cruisinbob

We never go to elegant night,and rarely even dine in the MDR, we dine out often at home, for persaonal and business occaisions, so on vacation its only vacation attire for us. However, those that do not want to dress for the occaision I think should not attend so as not to take away from the experience for those that want to enjoy the feeling of a special occaision.

We just returned from a back-to-back on the Ecstasy and Sensation. It was the first time (we have cruised 10 times on Carnival) that we didn't go to formal night. We enjoyed the laid back atmosphere of being able to go to the buffet. But we don't enjoy dressing up either :p

WE are going with a group on the Conquest in February, Some are dressing up and some aren't. My husband & I like to dress up when we can. Its part of our vacation memory. The others on our group who don't dress up we won't say anything but enjoy the moments we all have together. Its a fun night for pictures and feeling like how cruise ships were along time ago with Formal dinners.

I just got back this morning from the Christmas cruise on the Pride. I had a blast. My husband and I did the Cheers program and since I'm not a big drinker I was unfit to go to the MDR on the first elegant night and I'm glad because we ended up meeting a great couple at the buffet who we ended up hanging out with for the rest of the cruise. We exchanged phone numbers, emails and FB names and will stay in touch with them.

Had I not been drunk and totally outgoing that evening I wouldn't have met them.

The nights that we did eat in the MDR, I couldn't tell you what anyone wore because I was taught to mind my own business and to keep my nose on my own plate so what other wore never affected me in the least. I guess you can tell by now that I'm not a snob and don't judge others for them being themselves.

The lobster that they serve are those tiny ones you can pick up for 6-7 bucks in the grocery stores and make at home without the wait.

We cruised in the Pride in March and that's what was served.

The second elegant night we weren't very impressed with the menu and I was coming down with a sinus infection so I quarantined myself and the hubby did the buffet while I had a ham and cheese sandwich from room service.

We didn't have a long wait time for food when we did the MDR but we did ATD and were there as they first opened.

Hope this helps you a little bit.

We eat most nights in the MDR as a family. It is my 16 year old daughter's favorite part of her day. She likes being waited on by the wait staff and having all of the choices from the menu. She also doesn't like standing in lines for the buffet.

We eat about 80% of meals at the buffet.

I've never encountered lines at dinner. Breakfast yes.Lunch no idea as I usually grab a hot dog or hamburger in the pool area.

Bill

We are cruising on the Pride February 3rd. We had no plans on doing formal nights. Will we regret it? My kids are 21,18 and 11. This will be the 21 year olds first cruise. We sailed with Disney earlier this year and my two younger kids did not like to eat in the MDR because it took to long. I am worried we may regret not doing at least one formal night. Other than formal attire, what makes formal night different than any other night?

I personally love the formal nights we also normally choose our formal night pictures as they are more special :) if you like lobster and escargot then your missing out on those for MDR formal night dinning aside from that it is totally up to you and your family have a fun cruise!

I would for sure do it at least once and also take every single picture you can with the onboard photogs that night.You may get a few great family photos

Alot of our best pictures we have are from cruises

Also like what another poster said ,I am going tomorrow to our local grocery store and getting the same size lobster tails they serve onboard for $4.99 each so I wouldnt go just for the escargot or lobster either.Sometimes the buffet is awesome during formal night and very quiet with alot of the same foods served in the mdr

This is really something only you can decide.

Things to consider are the menu, is it an appealing one?, or nothing on there worth going for, and spending an hour or two at the table for. The MDR, does usually take about an hour and a half for appetizers, main, and desserts, and can take two hours.

If you, your spouse and some of, or any of your kids enjoy dressing up a bit, this is the night to show your stuff! Formal is not really necessary, just dressing up a bit or elegant is the norm nowadays on "cruise elegant" nights, and it is a good opportunity to get some nice photos, or even just one as souvenir, or a rememberance of a great family time together.

I know when I was 18, there were times, I liked to get all dressed up, and do the hair and the "getting ready" was almost as much fun, as the "going out".

Again, only you can decide what is best for you and your family, but you should try it at least once, and get one of those great family photos.

JMHO. But have a great cruise.:)

Out of 14 cruise's only once did we forgo the formal night ( back when it was formal). So sorry we did. Actually love the prime rib served that night. The buffet was not to my liking that night.

Now it is not formal at all, just nice clothes so don't let that stop you.

Hello! We'll be sailing on the Pride 2/3 as well. This will be our DD's age 5 and 9 3rd cruise and they love eating in the MDR every night. We have early seating, as we always did the last 2 cruises and they waste no time getting you in, served and back out, but never feel rushed and we were always in and out in 1.5 hours or less due to the next seating at 8pm. Our girls love that the waitresses treat them like princesses, know their names by the 2nd night and enjoy trying different foods and of course the warm melting chocolate cake that you can't get anywhere else on the ship. My girls love dressing up and I'm very thankful that Carnival doesn't make dinner in the MDR take so long. I believe our 1st formal night is Monday, so i say give it a try, see how it goes and then you can decide if you want to eat there every night there after, or just maybe for the 2nd formal night as well. Our family enjoys getting dressed up, color coordinating our clothes for our formal pictures, as they are some of the best pictures we have, and all the choices of backgrounds are fun too.

Howver, its honestly up to you and your family what works best for all of you.

Come join our roll call. Just 34 days until we board...yippee :D

After my first to cruises, I decided not to do formal nights anymore. Our last cruise included family that hadnt been cruising before, so we went for them, which also allowed for nice family portraits. Was well worth lugging the suit and sitting through dinner.

Honestly you'd probably be better served by going to the Mongolian Wok or possibly the pizza place. Both have better food and, at least, the clientele is dressed accordingly...

The Mongolian Wok is only open for lunch, why that is I don't understand as its pretty popular..Dennis

Archived