Will we regret not doing formal night?

radgal72

We are cruising on the Pride February 3rd. We had no plans on doing formal nights. Will we regret it? My kids are 21,18 and 11. This will be the 21 year olds first cruise. We sailed with Disney earlier this year and my two younger kids did not like to eat in the MDR because it took to long. I am worried we may regret not doing at least one formal night. Other than formal attire, what makes formal night different than any other night?

It's usually the night lobster is served, if that interests you. You will see all kinds of dress on Carnival, so it's not the formal experience of the past.

If your family wants to dress up, then go for it, but that isn't the case, then missing it isn't a big deal, IMHO.

I am also for doing at least ONE night in the MDR (elegant night would be a nice one to do - you don't have to dress super fancy, although some people will tell you you have to or go to the Lido). I am assuming (sorry if I am wrong) that you are paying for the kids and they, in appreciation, can give up one night for you and do the MDR, it won't kill them. Usually they have lobster and prime rib on elegant night and it is nice to have it served to you. Is there any reason that you and your husband can't do the MDR on your own at other times as well, all the kids are old enough to eat in the Lido on their own if they don't want to do the MDR unless you want to have all your meals together. My humble opinion only.

Formal Night on Carnival is not what it used to be (its not even called "Formal" anymore. Now it's called "Elegant"). This change reflects the more laid back and casual atmosphere that a large percentage of Carnival cruisers are looking for. Will you be missing much? Not really. Just an opportunity for the whole family to dress up a bit and have photos taken.

Personally, I DO like the Formal Night concept but NOT on Carnival. It feels like I'm dressing up to go to The Olive Garden. It's a bit hard to get in "Formal" mood when the people at the table next door are wearing polo shirts and khakis, or Capri pants with flip flops which is becoming more common and acceptable.

I know someone will say that what others wear does NOT affect them (and in the most part I agree) EXCEPT when it comes to Formal Night. The whole concept of this evening is EXACTLY based on what people wear.

I detest eating in the MDR. It takes far too much of my time that I could be spending elsewhere.

Will you regret not doing formal night? If it's something your kids don't want to do, I doubt it. However, if I were lucky enough to have all my kids on a cruise with me, I'd be taking advantage of all those picture opportunities that happen on formal night. I'd probably make everyone dress up a little bit just for the time it takes to get some pics taken, then go change and eat at the buffet.

Formal Night on Carnival is not what it used to be (its not even called "Formal" anymore. Now it's called "Elegant"). This change reflects the more laid back and casual atmosphere that a large percentage of Carnival cruisers are looking for. Will you be missing much? Not really. Just an opportunity for the whole family to dress up a bit and have photos taken.

Personally, I DO like the Formal Night concept but NOT on Carnival. It feels like I'm dressing up to go to The Olive Garden. It's a bit hard to get in "Formal" mood when the people at the table next door are wearing polo shirts and khakis, or Capri pants with flip flops which is becoming more common and acceptable.

I know someone will say that what others wear does NOT affect them (and in the most part I agree) EXCEPT when it comes to Formal Night. The whole concept of this evening is EXACTLY based on what people wear.

I agee with you Tapi,,not sure I'm gonna do Elegant night next week either...They serve the same food in the buffet...Dennis

Although the buffet doesn't have the same things as the MDR, ie no lobster, I don't think it's a big deal to miss the elegant nights. On one of our cruises a few months ago, we decided after going to the Steak House the first night and having lobster and steak, that the next night which was an elegant night, we could skip the MDR as I didn't want to have lobster two nights in a row.

The buffet did have the prime rib so that was fine with me. I also didn't feel like getting dressed up so that worked out well for us. We thought about doing the buffet again the second elegant night, but there wasn't anything that looked good, so we went to the MDR. It all depends upon how you feel about missing the MDR.

If you are not going to go to the MDR for all your dinners, I suggest telling the Maitre D' just in the event someone is being wait listed for the seating you have and your table could be re-used.

I would like to also suggest that perhaps one night you and your husband go to the SteakHouse if your ship has one and have a quiet, romantic dinner. It's worth every penny of the up charge. Enjoy!

Why would you not want to dress up? I love formal nights. I love seeing everyone dressed so lovely.

I should also add that you don't need to dress up entirely. Even a nice summer dress with 'dressy' flip flops would work!

'Cruise Elegant' night was fun for us when we traveled with our teen daughters because it gave them a chance to take some formal photos while we were getting ready for dinner..and actually, they were THE BEST pictures of them we've ever seen...and we were lookin my-tee-fine ourselves! in this busy world we live in, its nice to 'play dress up' as a family and just add one more 'special' to the fact that everyone is together. There is something a bit more magical about 'elegant' night and taking part....(and btw..I don't bother with the lobster anymore..I'm from New England, after all..and the lobster they serve on elegant night is closer to an oversized shrimp to me!)

But this is just one silly Mom's opinion... ;)

I have the simple answer: Probably.

Try it once. If you don't like the first formal night then skip the second.

Also: Carnival no longer has "Formal Night" it is Cruise Elegant night and you are no longer required to wear gowns, suits or even ties. Just dress nicely and you will be fine.

Take care,

Mike

I agee with you Tapi,,not sure I'm gonna do Elegant night next week either...They serve the same food in the buffet...Dennis

The buffet may offer similar choices, but not the same. For instance stuffed mushrooms are either missing as option, or prepared differently, there are no didja ever choices, and formal night no lobster, escargot etc.

Perhaps one night the younger kids would like the kids club?

I also found out that during one of the dinner seatings is best time for photos, they take more time and poses and usually no lines.

I guess if you don't go how do you know what you are missing? We always go so now I'm wondering what I'm missing in the buffet? We have never gone to the buffet for dinner. Maybe I'll give it a try next cruise.

Funny you should mention that. We discovered the Lido buffet on elegant night is nearly deserted... we felt we had a private dining room with our own table by a window watching the sunset while we leisurely enjoyed our meal. :)

Archived