REMIX for teens

fireflymd

according to my son " It was fun, and he met a lot of new friends. He had a great time and would recommend it for others." We were there for Christmas so there were a bunch of people on board. I heard that there were 600 children on board. WHen we were on in the spring of 2010 he was a new teen to the program and had a great time ( they changed the age from 14 to 13 since that time) and was in with the teen group as he was turning 14 on the 1st full sea day.

Just got off the Sapphire and my 16 year old DD enjoyed the teen program. She made friends with a group of teens, including Abqmommyof4's DS. :) Part of what she liked was that the teen counselors didn't pressure them to do the organized activities if they didn't want to. Once they met and made friends, they often preferred to just hang out, talk, play cards, go to the buffet or Trident Grill, etc. We generally only saw her at dinner.

My son (15 when we sailed) thought it was a good place to meet up with people, but spent very little time there and did few organized activities. He and his new friends found their own things to do, such as sports court, pools, movies, etc.

DD has been on 5 Princess cruises (4 as a teen) and has always had fun with her new friends. She has found it is best to go the first night. She finds it easiest to meet people when no one knows anyone else. Her experience has been as others as answered, there are activities planned, but they mostly hang out in the teen area. Some of the ships had a hot tub for the teens just outside the teen area and this is where they spent most evenings.

Anyone ever had any luck with getting an 18 year old, who is still in high school, in to the club?

I don't believe that is ever permitted. However, onboard the Sapphire last week, they had lots of activities listed in the Princess Patters for what they called "Club 1821." As the name implies, it was for the 18-21 year old age group.

Anyone ever had any luck with getting an 18 year old, who is still in high school, in to the club?

Wondering about this too. I have a teen cousin who will be 18 just about a month before cruising. She is pretty sad to not be able to use the teen facilities as my youngest sister will be 22 and her sister is 16. She doesn't like to drink (I know she can't anyways) and doesn't like to really party. Hopefully she still has fun.

Thank you all for posting!!! This is reassuring. Of course, all experiences are different, but I feel encouraged to send them. They are good friends to each other, so even if there aren't a lot of other teens on board, they have each other.

DD has been on 5 Princess cruises (4 as a teen) and has always had fun with her new friends. She has found it is best to go the first night. She finds it easiest to meet people when no one knows anyone else. Her experience has been as others as answered, there are activities planned, but they mostly hang out in the teen area. Some of the ships had a hot tub for the teens just outside the teen area and this is where they spent most evenings.

Thanks for the tip about sending them the very first night--really appreciate it.

My other son was 18 when we sailed. He would not have wanted to be in the teen club. He had more fun meeting other 18 year old recent high school grads and being able to do "adult" things, such as going in the adult only pools, going into port (Victoria) as a group without parents, etc. There were activities listed for this age group, as others have mentioned, though few showed up. He met a few others there the first night and they mostly did their own thing the rest of the week. He's still friends with most of them on Facebook.

My other son was 18 when we sailed. He would not have wanted to be in the teen club. He had more fun meeting other 18 year old recent high school grads and being able to do "adult" things, such as going in the adult only pools, going into port (Victoria) as a group without parents, etc. There were activities listed for this age group, as others have mentioned, though few showed up. He met a few others there the first night and they mostly did their own thing the rest of the week. He's still friends with most of them on Facebook.

Ya my sister had this same sort of experience on out 12 day Med cruise. She was 20 at that time. The first night she met up at the 18-20 group and made a bunch of friends that she is still friends with on fb and whatnot. I as an almost 22 year old actually didn't make any friends really and mostly hung out with my 24 year old brother and my uncle.

My now-14 y.o. son loved Club Remix. There is a lot to do, he met a lot of people and really we rarely saw him. It is a bit unstructured much of the time as the kids just want to hang out. They really work to give these kids a good time. One night they redecorated Club Fushion for a teen dance.

On the other hand, my 12-year-old daughter hated the Princess kid's club on our last two cruises. Shockwaves is for kids aged 8 to 12, and there is just a world of difference between an 8-year-old second grader and a Twelve-year-old seventh grader. They should not be forcing these kids to be in the same group together. I went to pick my daughter up one night and saw all the screaming children -- barely more than toddlers -- and understood why she didn't like it.

On the other hand, my 12-year-old daughter hated the Princess kid's club on our last two cruises. Shockwaves is for kids aged 8 to 12, and there is just a world of difference between an 8-year-old second grader and a Twelve-year-old seventh grader. They should not be forcing these kids to be in the same group together. I went to pick my daughter up one night and saw all the screaming children -- barely more than toddlers -- and understood why she didn't like it.

I really wish that Princess would adopt the Royal Caribbean/Celebrity system of grouping ages 12-14 together, with 15-17 being a separate group. I agree that the 11 and 12 year olds tend not to like being grouped with younger kids. On the other hand, I wouldn't want my 12 year old hanging out with 17 year olds.

Sorry - they will absolutely never allow it! They have to draw the line somewhere and then stick with it. We have been in the very position you are in and it was hard to handle at the time but in retrospect I do understand.

In answer to OP's question, we have had nothing but 100% success with all the Princess programs. My nieces and nephews (ages 7,9,11 and 13) adored all the clubs last week over Christmas. In fact we could hardly get them to sit with us long enough to eat dinner! My own children are now 19, 20, 23,23 and they all had a fabulous time last week as well - went to the meet and greet for the young adults the first couple nights and never looked back after that. Their favorite vacation has always been to cruise, largely due to the Princess kids clubs.

according to my son " It was fun, and he met a lot of new friends. He had a great time and would recommend it for others." We were there for Christmas so there were a bunch of people on board. I heard that there were 600 children on board. WHen we were on in the spring of 2010 he was a new teen to the program and had a great time ( they changed the age from 14 to 13 since that time) and was in with the teen group as he was turning 14 on the 1st full sea day.

I seem to remember that the teen group started at age 13 on our 2005/06 holiday cruise as the Pirateers (before the change of name to Shockwaves) was 8 to 12 (our daughter was 8 on that cruise). So I don't think this was a new thing (other than combining ages for cruises with very few kids).

And definitely 18-yr-olds won't even be allowed in the Remix rooms. Maybe groupings more along of middle school ages that are separate from a high school grouping if that's possible, might be acceptable.

As for my own teen (who was an enthusiastic kid program participant in the past), she did go to the Remix room on the first night a couple of years ago at age 13, but said she found the actual activities "lame." She did make some friends among girls her age, and continued talking with them on Facebook after the cruise. We just got off the same ship this morning (Wednesday) and she felt the same (one of her friends from before was also a repeat cruiser on this cruise) and they became part of a group of six (3 girls and 3 boys) who would played ping pong, toured the art gallery (we were surprised to be in the Piazza and heard this group analyzing the art), watch movies. I think my girl did go to a couple of the dances, but on New Years, the group was in the Piazza, instead at the teen party.

But you might as well sign your teen up on the first night. He or she will meet the other kids and they'll decide on which activities to take part in and come up with their own activities. There will be a packet of info (including the daily activities) in your cabin on the first day.

Archived