Dress code in MDR?

awh

I just got home from our Christmas cruise on the Eurodam. It was my first cruise and I think I may be hooked.

I was wondering about the dress code for women in the MDR on "smart casual" days. My father got turned away for wearing "dress shorts" (I can't think of a better name for them) and asked to put on long pants. When we got in, we saw women in Daisy Dukes, some with camel toes, and certainly far less "dressy" than what my father was turned away for.

Was it just selective enforcement of the rules, or are women allowed to wear whatever they like?

I just got home from our Christmas cruise on the Eurodam. It was my first cruise and I think I may be hooked.

I was wondering about the dress code for women in the MDR on "smart casual" days. My father got turned away for wearing "dress shorts" (I can't think of a better name for them) and asked to put on long pants. When we got in, we saw women in Daisy Dukes, some with camel toes, and certainly far less "dressy" than what my father was turned away for.

Was it just selective enforcement of the rules, or are women allowed to wear whatever they like?

It's really a matter of which of the DRMs is minding the door. Some are much more liberal than others.

If the women are hot, they can wear as much or a little as they like. :D

But no matter how good looking a guy is, he must wear long pants to dinner at the MDR.

But no matter how good looking a guy is, he must wear long pants to dinner at the MDR.

I'm sorry I can't let this go. Dress code for the MDR for dinner is:

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies may wear a suit, cocktail dress, gown or fancy blouse/top with slacks and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo

no mater how 'hot' you are.

I'm sorry I can't let this go. Dress code for the MDR for dinner is:

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies may wear a suit, cocktail dress, gown or fancy blouse/top with slacks and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo

no mater how 'hot' you are.

Okay, what ever you (and HAL) say. Just seems to me that holds about as much water as the speed limit signs on the freeways.

Rules and actions are often very different things.

Have a Happy New Year!

Okay, what ever you (and HAL) say. Just seems to me that holds about as much water as the speed limit signs on the freeways.

Rules and actions are often very different things.

Have a Happy New Year!

Just choose a different cruise line. Try Carnival or Norwegian. I just come back from the Queen Mary 2 and on casual nights all men must wear a jacket but without a tie. Everybody was dressed to the 9s.

Always sail on the cruise line that fits your dress code...don't try to change the dress code of the cruise line. It will be easier on you and you will be happier. Just my opinion.

The result of pants worn so tightly that external genitalia are visible.

I don't think they should be allowed. Immodesty has no place in the main dining room at dinner. Nor do I think shorts on men belong there.

Just choose a different cruise line. Try Carnival or Norwegian. I just come back from the Queen Mary 2 and on casual nights all men must wear a jacket but without a tie. Everybody was dressed to the 9s.

Always sail on the cruise line that fits your dress code...don't try to change the dress code of the cruise line. It will be easier on you and you will be happier. Just my opinion.

Well put - love your attitude! :)

Sad but true. I've seen some pretty skanky outfits coming into the MDR. Neither men or woman s/b coming in the MDR with shorts in the evening but HAL chooses not to enforce it at times.

It's a shame when people are disappointed to be denied entry into the dining room because of their attire. Anyone here on the forum has/uses a computer and it's so easy to get the answer to what is expected either here on the forum or on HAL's site. Sorry you didn't verify with us until after your cruise, OP. We could have saved your DD the inconveience/discomfort if you had inquired in advance.

Happy you seem to have enjoyed your cruise though. :)

<snip>

Always sail on the cruise line that fits your dress code...don't try to change the dress code of the cruise line. It will be easier on you and you will be happier.

<snip>

Perfect! One of the best pieces of advice I've read on Cruise Critic.

It's a shame when people are disappointed to be denied entry into the dining room because of their attire. Anyone here on the forum has/uses a computer and it's so easy to get the answer to what is expected either here on the forum or on HAL's site. Sorry you didn't verify with us until after your cruise, OP. We could have saved your DD the inconveience/discomfort if you had inquired in advance.

Happy you seem to have enjoyed your cruise though. :)

Some people just like to push it anyway. Not saying the OP was in this situation.

It's a shame when people are disappointed to be denied entry into the dining room because of their attire. Anyone here on the forum has/uses a computer and it's so easy to get the answer to what is expected either here on the forum or on HAL's site.

To be clear, I wasn't disappointed that my father was denied entry -- he went upstairs, changed his dress shorts for a (more casual) pair of khakis and was back within 5 minutes. No harm, no foul.

I *was* disappointed that we had to look at skanky outfits all through our meal after that. If you're going to have a dress code, enforce it uniformly.

I have seen shorts on both men and women in the MDR at dinner many times. A rule is only worth the extent to which it is enforced. Which makes most of the rules on HAL as far as dress code is concerned, mostly pointless. And I agree that women seem to get away with it a lot more than men do. Personally, I couldn't care less what anyone else wears to dinner. Its never adversely affected any cruise I've ever been on.

I have seen shorts on both men and women in the MDR at dinner many times. A rule is only worth the extent to which it is enforced. Which makes most of the rules on HAL as far as dress code is concerned, mostly pointless. And I agree that women seem to get away with it a lot more than men do. Personally, I couldn't care less what anyone else wears to dinner. Its never adversely affected any cruise I've ever been on.

Even though I conform to suggested dress code I cannot find anywhere on the HAL web site the Dress Code Rule. It seems that these suggestion are misinterpreted as a rule.

From HAL Web Site.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=New+to+Cruising#

look under what should I pack

The suggested attire for most evenings is resort casual; slacks and collared shirts for men, and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening-wear for women. On formal nights women usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and men wear a jacket and tie, dark suit, or tuxedo.

frankly, folks, if you read other threads, hal is sinking fast into the lower mass market segment of the cruise industry. yet, 'while rome burns,' a hot (pardon) topic continues to be the dress code and enforcement thereof in the mdr. no dress code or 'suggestion' will ever save hal; if that were true, i'd don a tux every night on my may 13 cruise. hal cannot have it both ways: enforce or not, period. otherwise just leave the issue alone; it is not consequential. the op only reported an incident and was not upset. but why make the issue a 'crap shoot?' up to who's managing the mdr? hal: make the dress 'suggestions' an enforceable code or stop publishing them. i'll make it work either way; so will most of us.

Archived