No New Routes for NCL

I second this one! We have done Venice to the Greek Isles, twice the Barcelona to Italy routes and I would love a British Isles itinerary.

NCL.. I hope up you are reading these boards. Your Platinimun members are speaking.. ;)

I also agree that the Western Carribean is the least favorable. I could do the Eastern every year and it is not a good thing that they have so limited ships in 2014 doing that route.

I'll 3rd the British Isles itinerary! And yes from our M&G on the Epic, NCL does read these boards. Not just corporate,but the officiers on the ships. We were told if we have a problem, call while on the ship, don't sulk about it and then go home and post about it on CC!

Just to add a whine: what about us folks who have to cruise the 7-day school vacation? In 2015 this looks like strictly the Western Caribbean, with only the Getaway to the most mundane of destinations in the Eastern. I too will be looking at other cruise lines in 2015: I was hoping for some newer E. Caribbean destinations for the 7 day like St. Kitts or a fast run to Aruba/Curacao like Princess does but no such luck.

I am certainly with you on this. It looks like a switch to Celebrity for us in Feb 2014, and the idea of a set dining time and no NCL suite perks makes me wonder if I want to do a cruise. But the same itineraries over and over...

Looks like I found my cruise fopr 2014. Pearl will be doing 10 and 11 day Southern caribbean routes out of Miami. I've always thought the Jewel class ships were being to limited by 7 day cruises (except for repositioning and of course the med), givwen their size and amenities. Looking forward to reboking the Pearl in Dec 2014!

I'll 3rd the British Isles itinerary! And yes from our M&G on the Epic, NCL does read these boards. Not just corporate,but the officiers on the ships. We were told if we have a problem, call while on the ship, don't sulk about it and then go home and post about it on CC!

Actually, I have forwarded my concerns about "no new NCL routes" in a constructive way to officers and cruise consultants onboard ship. We even had a lively (and polite) discussion about this during the Latitudes party onboard the NCL Dawn and the NCL Sun (last 2 cruises in 2012). The ship's officers told us to contact the Miami corporate offices to make our wishes known (since they said "they'll listen to you (Latitude Members) more than they listen to us (ship's officers)").

Just thought a positive push on CC would help (since we seem happy with NCL but are being forced to consider other cruise lines to get the routes beyond the standard routes). NCL, are you listening - don't force us to leave!

Russ

I heard (last week) that when the three new ships arrive some of the smaller and older ships might be heading East to Asia and Australia.

I really hope that is true. Going on Celebrity to SE Asia but getting worried as I like NCL!

Regards

Susan

Getting back on topic, what destinations do NCL loving cruisers would like to see?

I say Australia/NZ, S. America and Asia. I've noted a lot for Southern Carib, Turks & C, and stops in Norfolk and Savannah. Any others?

As well as turks and the southern Caribbean, the entire east coast, not just Savannah; Baltimore, S.C and any other places with ports...

Does NCL monitor social media boards like cruise critic? I'd love to get their input - will NCL offer new, exciting routes for loyal Platinum (and Gold) members?

yes, they do or so we are told. I will ask again when we have our m&G next week; also ask about adding new ports..The m&G are always so informative..

As well as turks and the southern Caribbean, the entire east coast, not just Savannah; Baltimore, S.C and any other places with ports...

Did that this fall on the Dawn, 16 days, Quebec, Portland ME, Boston, NYC, Norfolk, Baltimore, Charleston, Miami, Key West, Tampa was the plan. Sandy changed a few things. We hid overnight in Halifax, skipped Portland, overnight in Boston, skipped NYC , but hit all the rest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Did that this fall on the Dawn, 16 days, Quebec, Portland ME, Boston, NYC, Norfolk, Baltimore, Charleston, Miami, Key West, Tampa was the plan. Sandy changed a few things. We hid overnight in Halifax, skipped Portland, overnight in Boston, skipped NYC , but hit all the rest.

I just hope they continue with similar routes; we did one on Princess last fall: We didn't do Balitmore, or Norfolk and ended up in Ft Lauderdale...It might even be a good idea to just do one out of NYC along the coast...

I'd love to see Norfolk as a departure port, too. Even Baltimore would be a nice option. However I'm more interested in port variety. I'm surprised that Epic and Getaway will be doing such "ho hum" itineraries. I'd love some additional southern Caribbean options as others have mentioned and someday hope to take on some of the more adventurous itineraries - may be by the time I have enough vacation days to swing it, NCL will offer it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. I live in Washington, DC and it would be great if Baltimore was able to expand the port.

We are going on the Epic in a few weeks and the Getaway's itinterary is identical to the Epic! When the Epic first came out, didn't they alternate each week between Western and Easterd Caribbean? We love St Martin but can only go to St Martin and St Thomas so many times. We dislike Nassau and I am being polite by using the word "dislike".

I'm glad there are other cruiselines out there because I think our days with NCL are numbered because of the limited itineraries. As you can see in my signature, we are trying new cruise lines and new destinations over the next couple of years.

I haven't been cruising as long as most of you, but I noticed the Pearl is doing some nice 10-11 day itineraries in 2014 out of Miami. St. Kitts, Antigua, Martinique, Tortola look new for NCL (at least for me it looks new). Those are next on my agenda.

I wish they'd stop pushing St. Thomas on practically every cruise that enters the eastern Caribbean. The Gem goes to San Juan, why can't the other ships flip-flop St. Thomas and San Juan week to week?

Anyways, I know it'll never happen but once or twice a year I'd like to see them offer one of their smaller ships to leave out of Barbados, head east and skirt along the coast of South America for a few days and stop at 2 or 3 ports of call. Then scoot over to western Africa for 2 or 3 stops. One more stop at Cape Verde on the way back and from there it would be 3 or 4 (??) straight sea days back to Barbados.

The whole thing could probably be done in 16 to 18 days. (Note: I am not a navigator, I am probably waaaaay off in my time/distance estimates.)

I've mentioned all that before and people have replied that western Africa doesn't have the infrastructure to accept cruise ships and tourism just isn't their thing. I simply respond with "so how/why does Princess manage to do it every year?"

I agree. I live in Washington, DC and it would be great if Baltimore was able to expand the port.

We are going on the Epic in a few weeks and the Getaway's itinterary is identical to the Epic! When the Epic first came out, didn't they alternate each week between Western and Easterd Caribbean? We love St Martin but can only go to St Martin and St Thomas so many times. We dislike Nassau and I am being polite by using the word "dislike".

I'm glad there are other cruiselines out there because I think our days with NCL are numbered because of the limited itineraries. As you can see in my signature, we are trying new cruise lines and new destinations over the next couple of years.

You still have to do Breakaway to Bermuda (which should be pretty kick-a**), the Sun to the Southern Caribbean, a Panama Canal on the Pearl, a Grand Med on the Spirit, and a Transatlantic on the Star. Oh, and the one on the Jade that goes to Egypt. :p

I just hope they continue with similar routes; we did one on Princess last fall: We didn't do Balitmore, or Norfolk and ended up in Ft Lauderdale...It might even be a good idea to just do one out of NYC along the coast...

To that out of NYC they would still need to stop in the Bahamas and do a closed loop back to NYC or make the run all the way to Aruba and end at another US port.

We would also like to see some new itineraries out of NCL. Asia, Norway with more ports, Australia, some new islands in Caribbean - anything.

Interesting to note - the Holylands looks like it's been nixed for next winter season. Being replaced with a winter Western Med. Actually it looks like they thought outside the box on the ports though. Only one day at sea, for those that love to shake rattle and roll when in Europe. Sardinia, Tunisia, Valencia, Palermo, Monte Carlo - some new stuff with the old stuff, Rome, Naples, Livorno, Toulon. It was such an interesting western med itinerary (we've done two already and countless land trips) that it had me looking to see if it will fit in my work schedule. But, alas, it wouldn't.

yes, they do or so we are told. I will ask again when we have our m&G next week; also ask about adding new ports..The m&G are always so informative..

This would be very helpful - please report back what they say. I'd love to hear if they're going to any of the destinations mentioned above.

Russ

To that out of NYC they would still need to stop in the Bahamas and do a closed loop back to NYC or make the run all the way to Aruba and end at another US port.

I wasn't thinking NYC to Aruba, but 2 separate cruise routes. One that started in NYC or there abouts and went to the bahamas, with more stops along the way. For an Aruba route you do need to start in San Juan or Miami depending on the lenght of the cruise.

I wasn't thinking NYC to Aruba, but 2 separate cruise routes. One that started in NYC or there abouts and went to the bahamas, with more stops along the way. For an Aruba route you do need to start in San Juan or Miami depending on the lenght of the cruise.

Aruba and Bonaire are gems - live the snorkeling at both locations.

Aruba and Bonaire are gems - live the snorkeling at both locations.

we have never hit Bonaire, but our very first Caribbean trip (in about 1980) was to Aruba. We have returned several times, both land and on ships. I still love the island, just not as much as when it was so quaint and not over run with tourists...Hopefully our next cruise will take us there. Time will tell.

we have never hit Bonaire, but our very first Caribbean trip (in about 1980) was to Aruba. We have returned several times, both land and on ships. I still love the island, just not as much as when it was so quaint and not over run with tourists...Hopefully our next cruise will take us there. Time will tell.

Bonaire had the best reef for snorkeling thus far in our travels. Great private tour company - wonderful experience. I'd go again to the southern Caribbean - fun area.

I haven't been cruising as long as most of you, but I noticed the Pearl is doing some nice 10-11 day itineraries in 2014 out of Miami. St. Kitts, Antigua, Martinique, Tortola look new for NCL (at least for me it looks new). Those are next on my agenda.

I wish they'd stop pushing St. Thomas on practically every cruise that enters the eastern Caribbean. The Gem goes to San Juan, why can't the other ships flip-flop St. Thomas and San Juan week to week?

Anyways, I know it'll never happen but once or twice a year I'd like to see them offer one of their smaller ships to leave out of Barbados, head east and skirt along the coast of South America for a few days and stop at 2 or 3 ports of call. Then scoot over to western Africa for 2 or 3 stops. One more stop at Cape Verde on the way back and from there it would be 3 or 4 (??) straight sea days back to Barbados.

The whole thing could probably be done in 16 to 18 days. (Note: I am not a navigator, I am probably waaaaay off in my time/distance estimates.)

I've mentioned all that before and people have replied that western Africa doesn't have the infrastructure to accept cruise ships and tourism just isn't their thing. I simply respond with "so how/why does Princess manage to do it every year?"

those are ports they used to do but discontinued a few years ago. I am glad to see them coming back...

I agree. I have been traveling to St. Thomas for almost 20 years now and feel that the island had really deteriorated. There is trash now on the side of the roads and the whole feel to me has really changed...not to mention that there are usually way too many ships in port at one time making traffic horrendous.

I wish they would add Turks & Caicos. I do love St. Maarten and have seen the opposite trend there. They did a lot of work in the downtown area and the shopping and beach chairs (with beers included) makes for a great day for us. :)

There is a simple reason runs like this and the old runs deep into the southern Caribbean are not available, the price of fuel! To bring them back and recover the true incremental cost everyone here would scream about the pricing. :)

We would also like to see some new itineraries out of NCL. Asia, Norway with more ports, Australia, some new islands in Caribbean - anything.

Interesting to note - the Holylands looks like it's been nixed for next winter season. Being replaced with a winter Western Med. Actually it looks like they thought outside the box on the ports though. Only one day at sea, for those that love to shake rattle and roll when in Europe. Sardinia, Tunisia, Valencia, Palermo, Monte Carlo - some new stuff with the old stuff, Rome, Naples, Livorno, Toulon. It was such an interesting western med itinerary (we've done two already and countless land trips) that it had me looking to see if it will fit in my work schedule. But, alas, it wouldn't.

I liked the Med (likely more than my wife). We did a combination Western to Eastern Med trip and it was both stunning & exhausting. Typically, I research each port's history, culture and special attributes a few months in advance. It was overwhelming to research before a cruise to Barcelona, Monaco (& medieval towns nearby), Italian ports (centuries to research), Istanbul, Athens, Olympia, Ephesus and Venice - and I started the research a year before the cruise.

Fair Winds & Following Seas, Russ

Archived