Baked Alaska

Shogun

I am a seasoned cruiser and I hope that I never lose that enthusiasm of a first timer. Some of you sound like snobs...I'd prefer to cruise with Newbies any day.

Why so cynical, for goodness sake...you are on a CRUISE, after all. How blessed and fortunate for you whether it's your 10th or 20th or 50th cruise. Whether the dining room has a parade, has Baked Alaska or not, the entire cruise experience is one to be appreciated above all else.

Ok...I got curious about this tradition and came up with this from:

http://www.frommers.com/articles/6640.html

Cruise veterans, how many times have you had this experience: You're at dinner, and it's approaching dessert time. Suddenly the lights go down, the music comes up, and a phalanx of waiters starts dancing around the room, trays of flaming desserts in one hand, twirling napkins in the other.

Oh yes, it's the Baked Alaska Parade, and its origins are as mysterious as its staying power.

Variations on the dish itself go back to the early 19th century, though the form we know today -- a mix of ice cream and sponge cake, topped with meringue and then heated or flambéed -- may have gotten its start (and its name) at the New York restaurant Delmonico's in 1867, coinciding with the U.S. acquisition of Alaska from Russia. When it made the jump from land to sea is a matter of some dispute. In his classic The Only Way to Cross, John Maxtone-Graham describes a dinner on the maiden voyage of Hamburg-America Line's 1905 Amerika in which "the lights were dimmed and from the kitchen came squads of waiters bearing overhead a sizzling combination of fire and ice." While well-received that night, Amerika's big dessert didn't catch on in the wider cruise world until the late 1950s or early 1960s, when basic, un-evolved versions of the Baked Alaska Parade began appearing on ships. The parade didn't achieve its final, perfected form until 1987, when singer David Johansen (aka Buster Poindexter) released what would become its vital if unofficial soundtrack, the dance tune "Hot Hot Hot."

So there you have it...

BTW, this site has some other interesting stories about cruising.....

One of the things I look forward to in our upcoming cruise is the Baked Alaska dessert. The last time I had it was with my mother and husband in 1982 on the SS AZURE SEAS. It was such a beautiful and surprising presentation and tasted so good and completed a great meal. So give me the song and dance for Baked Alaska, then just give me the memories..:D

I have been on one cruise where the BAP was not held, it was on the 'New' NCL Wind, they danced the Macarena instead.

IMO whatever is done is nothing more than an effort to make passengers tip an extra amount.

One other thing that NCL did, this was before the days 'Dine any

Time and of 'Tips' being taken off your account, 'advised amounts' were instead handed out on the last evening. On the last morning however the Buffet was closed, and breakfasts was only served in the MDRs, [she had two] at your set table at, wait for it, in our case 5.30. in the morning. I recall that one couple were never served!!!

john

Believe it or not,after 23years of cruising and doing anytime dining,we are doing late Traditional because I miss having same waiters all the time and the Baked Alaska Parade.If you don't like it,your a stick in the mud,party pooper,stuffy,getting old(like me).:):eek::D I enjoy that little stupid,dumb,fun part of cruising.It lasts,but a few minutes.Lighten up and stop being so stuffy.Life is way to short.I used to love on Carnival,we used to get up in the dining room and march around the dining room!!!Are we all getting so uptight and set in our ways that we do not remember how to have a little fun.I am 61,my DW says i'm like 20 and she is an old(at times)50 year old.!!!

One of the things I look forward to in our upcoming cruise is the Baked Alaska dessert. The last time I had it was with my mother and husband in 1982 on the SS AZURE SEAS. It was such a beautiful and surprising presentation and tasted so good and completed a great meal. So give me the song and dance for Baked Alaska, then just give me the memories..:D

I am afraid that it it will not be the same as in 1982, it has gone down hill even since I started cruising, like many other things.

john

One time we had a table for two,actually a table for 4 and they gave us the entire cake...so funny!!!.Cruising used to be a lot of fun,waiters joking,fooling around,everyone including the staff having a great time,now it is very STUFFY!!!

I'd be happy to see the BAP die a happy death. We're usually done dinner and want dessert or close to ready to go when it happens. We don't eat it. But some folks enjoy it. But it does seem rather lame anymore. I think it would be nice if some of the kitchen staff/chef came out the one night and dropped around a few tables each in an area and people could have a little chat and thank them if they like. IDK, the parade just seems a bit lame anymore.

Hi Caribill

Thanks for the photos, your photos show the point that I was trying to make,

that the once mighty Balked Alaska is being down graded, my view is it has gone to far,

so either bring back the whole Baked Alaska event, make it the highlight

it used to be, or do away with it.

yours Shogun

I think they should make it optional, maybe put a $15 service charge on it for those who still like the dog and pony show.:D

It could be a new revenue stream for Princess.

Mike:)

Or continue to include it at no cost, but charge $15 to passengers who want to avoid it.

Old style Baked Alaska being cut to be served

032122110CuttingtheBakedAlaska101_9613_zps38ec8091.jpg

A more recent sized service of Baked Alaska, obviously not from the same style Baked Alaska.

016122609BakedAlaska101_9197.jpg

Most recent size Baked Alaska served

980E17981412BakedAlaskaDSC02192.jpg

I have not sailed on Princess yet so I am unfamiliar with the show being mentioned, but I can say from the pictures the dessert itself they are moving in the wrong direction. Too bad as I am a fan of baked Alaska and you do not see it much in restaurants these days...well I am a fan of pretty much any desert that has meringue:D

I have not sailed on Princess yet so I am unfamiliar with the show being mentioned.

This is a parade of the assistant waiters around the darkened dining room carrying Baked Alaska accompanied by cheers from the passengers.

In the traditional dining room, it will be at dessert time. In the anytime dining room, since people will be at different points in their meal, it could come at anytime while you are eating.

100_2882_zps86575ea0.jpg

I don't remember dancing waiters on RC.

However that is not too bad.

It is the useless red, white, & blue contest that I cannot stand.

FWIW they never did a red white blue thing on my 2 carnival cruises last year. I dont even know what it is, I hope to avoid it if I cruise Carnival again. Must be pretty bad if it can ruin a cruise.

Princess does so the silly parade with the cakes though. I found the service on Princess to be decent with Carnivals wait staff definitely being friendlier. Still was a great cruise. You will love it.

Both wife and I love Bomb Alaska. On our last Princess Cruises - Sun Princess out of Fremantle, Australia up to Indonesia and return, we had Bomb Alaska served at both dinner seating and both seating were full.

The old style serving is still quite acceptable and you can have seconds if you want. We also had a complimentary liqueur with a free glass if you wanted.

Have heard that on some cruises you have to buy the liqueur to get the free glass.

Archived