Dawn Photo Review Dec 16-23

Aquahound

We (10) will be on the Dawn in Dec.2013 and I was wondering if 5:45 was a time that would get us at one table without any wait> Any opinions?

Also, the way I've read here, the Dawn always seems to tender, never one of the other three NCL or other cruise lines.

We (10) will be on the Dawn in Dec.2013 and I was wondering if 5:45 was a time that would get us at one table without any wait> Any opinions?

Also, the way I've read here, the Dawn always seems to tender, never one of the other three NCL or other cruise lines.

You may be right about the tendering. I really don't know.

I wish I could answer your question about 5:45. I don't know. However, if you know that's the time you will eat, I suggest making reservations. That might help.

The Stardust Theater was a good design. Instead of the balcony going all the way around, the main seating floor was stadium style, reaching up to the upper level. Only problem...many of the seats were broken. They really need to go through here and give the seats some attention.

ry%3D400

The shows were ok. I noticed Stardust Theater doesn't have the best sound system and the shows suffer as a result. They sounded quiet and the singers' voices came across very weak.

One of the shows was The Second City. I enjoyed this show because I like slapstick humor.

The other headliner was Greg London. He was ok. He spent his entire show doing impersonations, rather than singing any of his own hits. Again, the sound system was a little inadequate.

The singers/dancers shows weren't all that great. Typical cruise ship productions.

I think a large group of 10 people that want to eat together should speak to the maitre d the first day and see if you can set up a time that there would be seating for that size group.

Spinnaker Lounge. This has got to be one of the worst designed lounges on all modern day cruise ships. The ceilings are low and there are 2 rows of columns that go down the middle. You could not see the stage from most of the seats in there (I don't have a picture).

I guess I'll blame the Cruise Director staff for this, but they were constantly using this lounge for activities that would have been better suited for the Stardust Theater. One example was the No-so-Newlywed Game. It was at a time when they could have used the Stardust, but instead used the Spinnaker. Unless you got there very early and got a seat up front, you couldn't see them. Same goes for the Second City shows. I noticed they also did this on the Sky, so I'm assuming it's normal practice on NCL.

Also, they held the White Hot Party in Spinnaker. Not having it on the pool deck takes away most of the atmosphere.

The Pearly Kings Pub was pretty active every night and was the location for nightly karaoke. They also had sports continually playing on the TVs. The downside was, this pub is very small and fills up quickly. It's tough to find seats.

ry%3D400

It does always seem from the reviews that it is always the Dawn tendering in Cozumel unless everyone seems to be reviewing this same December cruise

Thank you for your review. We are on the Dawn in 2 months and I am getting nervous about all these negative reviews. We sailed EPIC last March and it was exceptional.

I'm not exactly sure why this thread to this point would add to you being nervous.

Yes apparently, this poster had a bad room steward, bad employees can be found anywhere. Report them and save anyone else from having to deal with it.

As for the rest of the review, up until this post

The OP didn't like the artwork on the walls of the promenade deck, felt the buffet was an odd design, thought a few things in their mini-suite were poorly positioned, wasn't a fan of one block of balconies, felt the layout of the pool was a little odd and thought the palm tree lights around the pool were cheesy.

None of which IMO would probably impact on the enjoyment of your vacation.

Thanks for the photos and review warts and all. I also will be on the Dawn in 54 days and your review in no way put a damper on any of my excitement. What did you do in Coz? I have not decided on my excursions yet and I am trying to narrow things down by reading every line of cruise critic!

Mymaci

I'll write a full review soon but wanted to share that I was on the Dawn in Cozumel last week (Dec 28) and we did NOT tender. I've read several other reviews here that were the same so not sure where the idea that the Dawn always tenders came from, it is definitely not the case.

As for the rest of the review, up until this post

The OP didn't like the artwork on the walls of the promenade deck, felt the buffet was an odd design, thought a few things in their mini-suite were poorly positioned, wasn't a fan of one block of balconies, felt the layout of the pool was a little odd and thought the palm tree lights around the pool were cheesy.

Good recap so far, but you left one out. Poor MDR service. That's a big one, at least, to me it is.

Lets talk about the public restrooms for a moment. I'll start with the water. In this day and age of stressing hygiene to prevent noro and other viruses, it is made well clear that regular hand washing with warm or hot water is important. By now, we should all know hand sanitizer doesn't stop noro. The faucets in the public restrooms are motion activated and the water is cold. No matter how long you make the water run, it never warms up. As someone who has had noro (not on a ship) and knows how it feels, this is a big deal to me. Yes, I brought this to their attention.

Something I didn't experience, so I'll have to take my wife's word for it.....in two of the public restrooms, one being just outside the Stardust Theater, toilet seats were broken and the stall doors had broken locks. She had to hold the doors shut.

Good recap so far, but you left one out. Poor MDR service. That's a big one, at least, to me it is.

I'm sure it is but you will notice I used the phrase "I'm not exactly sure why this thread to this point would add to you being nervous". I was responding to a poster from post #26. The recap was up to post #26, you did not mention the MDR until post #46. So unless this poster was psychic they wouldn't know you had an issue with the MDR.

Let me inject some kudos here. I loved this Captain. During the Q&A session, someone asked the question "who's driving?" He responded by saying "we have bets on how long it takes for someone to ask that stupid question."

When someone complained about the ship rocking and asked why they don't use the stabilizers, his response was "I can bring them in if you like, so you really have something to complain about."

Another woman accused him of dumping sewage in Belize. He took a second, shook his head, took a deep breath, and explained it was the sea bottom getting stirred up. I only wish he would have voiced what was on his mind. :D

This was one of the best shows of the cruise. ;)

Thanks for the review, Paul.

We're doing the same itinerary on the Jewel in December so the pictures and information on the ports are helpful.

At Parrot Tree beach resort is there any place to snorkel? Right now I'm leaning towards Maya Cay since we were there when it was Fins and Flippers and I know the snorkeling is great, but the pictures of Parrot Tree are beautiful.

Thanks for the review, Paul.

We're doing the same itinerary on the Jewel in December so the pictures and information on the ports are helpful.

At Parrot Tree beach resort is there any place to snorkel? Right now I'm leaning towards Maya Cay since we were there when it was Fins and Flippers and I know the snorkeling is great, but the pictures of Parrot Tree are beautiful.

You're welcome. No, Parrot Tree is not for snorkeling. The swim area is in a lagoon with sandy bottom. There's really nothing to see. Parrot Tree is perfect for a relaxing day, but definitely not for snorkeling.

Thanks for the photos and review warts and all. I also will be on the Dawn in 54 days and your review in no way put a damper on any of my excitement. What did you do in Coz? I have not decided on my excursions yet and I am trying to narrow things down by reading every line of cruise critic!

Mymaci

You're welcome as well. We didn't do much in Cozumel. We just went to a local restaurant for some of the best guacamole I have ever had. It was called Las Palmas and was located right by the tender pier. As I mentioned earlier, there were 7 ships in port, so the place was a little too crowded for us. Plus, many of the mainland excursions were canceled due to the rough seas.

You're welcome. No, Parrot Tree is not for snorkeling. The swim area is in a lagoon with sandy bottom. There's really nothing to see. Parrot Tree is perfect for a relaxing day, but definitely not for snorkeling.

Thanks! That's what I suspected from the pictures. We'll still keep it in mind. we have plenty of time to decide :D

Being our cruise was Dec 16-23, they had begun hanging Christmas decorations. Christmas trees were everywhere....Atrium, Gatsbys, Cagneys, and a couple other places. The atrium looked nice.

ry%3D400

One night, the piano player asked if it was ok if she sang a Christmas song. Of course, everyone excitedly said yes! On her break, she told us the previous night, a man complained when she sang a song. Apparently, the man took his complaint to the front desk and she was told she had to ask from there on out. Yes, that's what we have come to. :rolleyes: