Celebrity and Alaska?

simplycruisin

We're thinking of cruising to Alaska this summer, and I've heard wonderful things about Celebrity. Our family has never cruised with them, but I would love to if they go there. We're in Southern California if that helps. Does Celebrity cruise to the Alaska area, and has anyone had any experience with that? Thanks in advance!

We're thinking of cruising to Alaska this summer, and I've heard wonderful things about Celebrity. Our family has never cruised with them, but I would love to if they go there. We're in Southern California if that helps. Does Celebrity cruise to the Alaska area, and has anyone had any experience with that? Thanks in advance!

We've done Alaska 4 times and we're leaving next week on Celebrity's Infinity for another Alaskan cruise. I always tell everyone, if you never do another cruise at least do Alaska. It is a beautiful trip. This is our first trip with Celebrity and we are egar to try them, we've heard nothing but good things about Celebrity. Our other four trips were with Holland America.

We took the Mercury to Alaska last summer out of Seattle, and it was a magical experience! So many little touches that just made the whole trip phenomenol. Hubbard Glacier was just breathtaking, and the captain got us there super early, before all the other ships, so we got to see this amazing early morning light playing on the glacier and the water. He got us in closer than any of those ships, too.

It was our first Celebrity cruise, and now that's our favorite line; we now have taken the Constellation and the Century, and are booked on the Zenith, Millenium, and Summit.

You will LOVE it!!

Jan

We have done both the Mercury and the Summit to Alaska. Two of our best cruises. In fact we are going on the Mercury again June 10th, that is how much we liked it. Alaska is our favorite cruise and out of all the lines we have been on Celebrity is our favorite. 9 cruise, 4 lines, I feel very safe in recommending them.

We just returned from an Alaskan cruise on the Mercury (May 20-27). It was our first cruise to Alaska and it was spectacular in every way. This was our 4th cruise on Celebrity and we certainly recommend Celebrity; it is our favorite line and we have cruised 16 times.

We (my wife, myself and two daughters) did a 13 night cruisetour on Summit last July...and I wholeheartedly recommend it...

You can read my lengthy review here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=56883

We did everything through Celebrity...and they got us great flights from LAX...One stop with no change of planes to Fairbanks on the way there...and a nonstop from Vancouver for the return...

Good luck and have fun...

We were also on the Summit last summer with our two kids, my mom, and a couple of older cousins. Everyone enjoyed the trip and the ship. Now, of course you're asking this question on a Celebrity board so you're likely to hear very positive things about Celebrity, and while we had a wonderful time, I'm not going to say it was "perfect" and I would not sail anyone else. You should certainly explore your options, taking into consideration your families ages, interests, etc. For example, with our kids we've also enjoyed Royal Caribbean very much, and while we haven't been on them in Alasaka, I understand they have a very nice ship doing that itinerary.

Also, if you have the time, I highly recommend taking some time to tour around Alaska on your own. We had about a week before our cruise, and it really added to the overall experience.

We also just returned from the Mercury.Alaska Inside passage.

What a great ship..Great crew and service..:)

This was the first time I had sailed Celebrity. I have been on other cruise lines. (over 15 cruise) I WILL return to Celebrity.

Just remember a cruise is what YOU make out of it:)

We did a 13 day cruisetour of Alaska with Celebrity last August. It was without a doubt the best vacation we ever had. I would recommend doing the land portion first and then the cruise. The land portion can get kind of tiring, and then you can relax on the cruise. We started in Fairbanks and worked our way south to the ship. Don't miss the Husky Homestead Tour in Denali. You meet Jeff King and learn all about the Iditarod. Have a good time

You will have a wonderful and exceptionally refined cruise experience with Celebrity. The commercials are very close to the truth. You do start to feel like royalty or at least very special. The service, food, and cabins are well above adverage for the money spent. The M-class ships, such as Summit, provide a wide range of activities and services and the ships themselves are absolutely beautiful. Do not hesitate to book a cruise with Celebrity.

We did a 13 day cruisetour of Alaska with Celebrity last August. It was without a doubt the best vacation we ever had. I would recommend doing the land portion first and then the cruise. The land portion can get kind of tiring, and then you can relax on the cruise. We started in Fairbanks and worked our way south to the ship. Don't miss the Husky Homestead Tour in Denali. You meet Jeff King and learn all about the Iditarod. Have a good time

Hi... could you tell me what the tipping guidelines for the land portion of the trip. i know you have to tip the guide, but is he with you all times, what about the driver. will be leaving in two weeks.

thanks

hi...

doing celebrity in two weeks to alaska with land. what is the usual tipping for the tour director and bus driver?

also, what is the dress code for the evenings if you go out to dinner. we have a dinner show booked in denali. is jeans and sneakers ok or should i bring dress pants and nice top

thanks for the info

olga

hi...

doing celebrity in two weeks to alaska with land. what is the usual tipping for the tour director and bus driver?

also, what is the dress code for the evenings if you go out to dinner. we have a dinner show booked in denali. is jeans and sneakers ok or should i bring dress pants and nice top

thanks for the info

olga

I think we tipped the tour guide $3.50 per person perday and the bus driver $2.00 per person perday. Nobody dresses up in Alaska. While on land, you look out of place if you aren't in jeans.

Hi... could you tell me what the tipping guidelines for the land portion of the trip. i know you have to tip the guide, but is he with you all times, what about the driver. will be leaving in two weeks.

thanks

Yes, the same guide will be with you for your entire trip. Ours was even on the plane with us from Fairbanks to Anchorage (it was part of our landtour, #12). Your bus driver should also be with you most of the trip. In our case, the bus didn't follow us from Fairbanks to Anchorage, so we had a different bus driver the final day of the trip from Anchorage to Seward. I imagine that if you don't have a flight like that, you would have the same bus driver the entire trip.

Also, the tour guide will give you envelopes for tipping.

Sorry if this is an instant replay (I THOUGHT I posted, but . . .):

On cruisetours, conventional wisdom is land portion first, then cruise to "relax." We're booked cruise first, then land, so answers won't change our plans, but it seems that ports will involve a lot of activity, while land portion is a lot of time on train/bus, walking around or light hiking, but not as wearing as cruise will be. Plus, we can always dine early and head to bed if we're pooped. Comments?

Archived