Upgrade Fairy!

OhioGirl

For those of you who received a call from the upsell fairy, what kind of discount did you receive. Was it a substantial saving?:confused:

It can be very significant. Often for a few hundred dollars more, an upgrade into a suite.

We sailed on the NCL Jade out of Barcelona..we booked a mini-suite and two days before our cruise we got a phone call to upgrade to a penthouse suite..for just 200.00 more total...of course we jumped all over it! It was great, and I was spoiled! So again, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope the upgrade/upsell fairy calls us for our Alaska cruise on the Jewel!

I think they should have honored your perks regardless....

I think they should have flagged you as a VIP, allowed you to have breakfast and lunch in Cagney's, priority tendering, access to the concierge, priority show seats.......and priority embarkation. Oh and maybe even a tour of the bridg....... If I ran NCL customer relations that is what I would have done......

I think that kind of a gesture would have gone a long way....... You could have taken legal action against them.

I am sorry that it happened to you....that sounds just awful......

Legal action for what???:rolleyes:

Two weeks before my Cruise on the Pearl my TA Called me at Work and said the "UPSell Fairy was on the line and wanted to up sell me to the two Bedroom Penthouse so I took it. At 4:30 on my last day of work Before the Cruise my TA called and said they wanted to up sell the Owners Suite and I took it. What a wonderful Suite. I had been in a Mini Suite..so maybe that is where they start. Good Luck.

I think they should have honored your perks regardless....

I think they should have flagged you as a VIP, allowed you to have breakfast and lunch in Cagney's, priority tendering, access to the concierge, priority show seats.......and priority embarkation. Oh and maybe even a tour of the bridg....... If I ran NCL customer relations that is what I would have done......

I think that kind of a gesture would have gone a long way....... You could have taken legal action against them.

I am sorry that it happened to you....that sounds just awful......

Thanks, I appreciate your sentiment. After our cruise, I did write to customer service. Mainly to make sure this doesn't happen to anyone else. They, of course apologized, and said to contact them when we took our next cruise and they would extend extra amenities to us when on board. They also made a point of saying this was a verbal agreement [i still have all the paperwork]. I wrote back and reminded them I had an invoice and had been charged. I have not heard back from them since.

I realize there is no legal action. But I also think they should have handled this better as a Goodwill gesture.

My entire point to this is; Be careful if the Upsell Fairy calls. Make them double check so there is no call back. I wouldn't want anyone else to experience the disappointment we did.

In my opinion they would try to upsell someone who is in a cabin or category of cabins that are in high demand first like AFT balconies and mini-suites because those are easier to sell than suites. It probably isn't this case all the time but it makes sense to me.

Legal action for what???:rolleyes:

Breach of contract.....

They called him, and upsold him to a new room. They then sent the confirmation and he had the same invoice that you or I have for our currently booked cruise. They then called back and said it was a mistake.... That is a breach of contract.

If I called NCL after final payment and said oh wait it was a mistake......do you think they would give me a refund. No they wouldn't. If I don't abide by the terms of the contract they are free to keep my entire cruise fare...if they don't abide by the contract they get to say oh wait its a mistake.... No they don't.

Last year we had booked the Dawn, aft balcony 10230 and the upsell fairy gave us a deal to a suite (boy, does that spoil you fast). I think it helps if you are in a room that they know they can sell or upsell easily.

I think so too. Very often members report that they were upsold from prime aft or other popular locations. We were as well.

I always see posts about the upgrade fairy. I'm already booked in a penthouse suite. Does the fairy ever offer upgrades from penthouse to let's say haven???:D Lol anyone ever have that happen to them? Fingers crossed :o

Upgrades (no extra fare): Rarely, very rarely, as in "less than once in a blue moon." Upsell: Yes, but not all that often. However, we were upsold from an aft mini to the one bedroom Haven. It does happen, especially on cruises that are not selling well. It's easier, I think, for them to resell a regular penthouse or to upsell someone in a mini or balcony into the penthouse and then resell the mini or balcony.

beachchick

You could have taken legal action against them.

You can take legal action against anyone, anytime for any reason. That doesn't mean you will win anything. In this case, if you read the contract closely NCL can move you at any time for just about any reason. I would hold off on calling Perry Mason.

You can take legal action against anyone, anytime for any reason. That doesn't mean you will win anything. In this case, if you read the contract closely NCL can move you at any time for just about any reason. I would hold off on calling Perry Mason.

Thanks...now I have coffee on my screen....;)!!!

Although they can move you, that does not mean they are free to take away the suite perks that they were entitled to. Thankfully I don't have to call Perry Mason because I am a lawyer.....notwithstanding your sarcastic response.......

And those of you that think that some of the unconscionable terms in a cruise ship contract are not constantly the subject of litigation should speak to the corporate counsel for NCL... I'm sure they are kept quite busy.........

Although they can move you, that does not mean they are free to take away the suite perks that they were entitled to. Thankfully I don't have to call Perry Mason because I am a lawyer.....notwithstanding your sarcastic response.......

And those of you that think that some of the unconscionable terms in a cruise ship contract are not constantly the subject of litigation should speak to the corporate counsel for NCL... I'm sure they are kept quite busy.........

People always complain about those who smuggle their alcohol on board make cruising expensive for everyone because the cruise companies can't make a $.

Seems to me that all of you that feel you're entitled to anything and everything to the point of suing everyone and everything for just about anything are the ones that force the cruise companies to increase the $ for the rest of us. But that's JMHO, sarcastic or not, but IJDGAF.

cheers..the Ump...:D

People always complain about those who smuggle their alcohol on board make cruising expensive for everyone because the cruise companies can't make a $.

Seems to me that all of you that feel you're entitled to anything and everything to the point of suing everyone and everything for just about anything are the ones that force the cruise companies to increase the $ for the rest of us. But that's JMHO, sarcastic or not, but IJDGAF.

cheers..the Ump...:D

smuggle alcohol aboard??? What are you suggesting..... The man was called and offered an upsell to a suite. He paid for it and entered a contract for a suite category room and those perks.....

I'd love to see your reaction if you were given a balcony and no perks......... or better yet an inside......after paying for a suite.........

Common....you think it is ok because it isn't you........you honestly are saying you would just go to "whatever room they gave you" and wouldn't say a thing......after you paid for a suite.........

Why am I the bad guy.......I just said that NCL should have given him suite perks.......

I have been given suite perks three times when I wasn't in a suite....its not such a big deal and the guy probably would have been really happy......

Edited by cherylroslyn

• 1 month later...
smuggle alcohol aboard??? What are you suggesting..... The man was called and offered an upsell to a suite. He paid for it and entered a contract for a suite category room and those perks.....

I'd love to see your reaction if you were given a balcony and no perks......... or better yet an inside......after paying for a suite.........

Common....you think it is ok because it isn't you........you honestly are saying you would just go to "whatever room they gave you" and wouldn't say a thing......after you paid for a suite.........

Why am I the bad guy.......I just said that NCL should have given him suite perks.......

I have been given suite perks three times when I wasn't in a suite....its not such a big deal and the guy probably would have been really happy......

Didn't NCL refund his upsell? In that case he did not pay for suite perks.

We have 45 days until we sail on the Jewel...I'm still hoping that the Upgrade Fairy calls us with an offer! PLEASE!

I understand how you feel.

We have 25 days until we sail the Breakaway, celebrating my 50th birthday. It will be my 17th NCL cruise, and we have never had an NCL upsell or upgrade offer. We got an upsell offer on our first (and only!) CCL cruise, but we are still waiting for our fav NCL to call. An upsell call for a special cruise on the beautiful Breakaway would be wonderful. Pease!?!

You just never know who you are blogging to! I am also a lawyer. You are absolutely spot on!!!

We have 25 days until we sail the Breakaway, celebrating my 50th birthday. It will be my 17th NCL cruise, and we have never had an NCL upsell or upgrade offer. We got an upsell offer on our first (and only!) CCL cruise, but we are still waiting for our fav NCL to call. An upsell call for a special cruise on the beautiful Breakaway would be wonderful. Pease!?!

I will keep my fingers crossed for you...hope you have a wonderful cruise for your 50th birthday!

Hope you get the upgrade/upsell fairy call! That would be totally awesome!! :)

We've never gotten a call either in all the cruises we've taken - I'm hoping for an upsell on our September cruise - it's going to be my husband's 65th birthday!

Happy Cruising!! :)

• 5 months later...

We are booked in a Spa Balcony on the May 3 Getaway Eastern Caribbean... Its our first cruise but I am soooo hoping for the Upgrade Fairy to call us too!

We are forward on the ship and hoping that we don't get sea sick! Maybe we can get something awesome on the aft side.... ;) Always a hope!

• 2 months later...