Raddison PG vs Princess TP

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has sailed on both these ships and had a pros and cons of each they could provide?

My husband and I were originally going to go with Princess but they can't confirm 2nd dining seating and we don't want to get stuck with 1st seating and have our vacation spoiled being forced to rush to dinner by 6pm. I have heard Radisson has open seating and this may be a better option with TP's 2nd seating on waitlist only.

We have only sailed with Celebrity 3 times and RCCL once. We went back to Celebrity because the quality of the food on RCCL was much less. I am very curious on people's opinions out there on the two and any advice they can offer.

Thank you!!

I have sailed on the PG once, and am preparing for my second trip next week. I have never sailed TP, but I saw it in Bora Bora last time we were there. From what I understand, you are comparing apples to oranges! The dinner seating is just one of the many differences between the two ships. First the TP is about twice as big as the PG. Radisson does not charge for alcohol at dinner, gratuity is included, and offers a higher level of service. However you do PAY for that! The cost is significantly more than TP. The TP is a very economical way to go, and many people have a great time on it. But I suggest that you look carefully at the differences and the cost and decide what is best for you. I should warn you that the PG experience will spoil you!

JulieMac

One of the most important differences between the two is that the TP is a 10 day cruise, while the PG is only 7. Personally, I've been on the TP twice now and do prefer it specifically because it's a 10 day cruise. I'm there to see the Tahitian islands, not for the cruise ship. And since the PG is more costly than the TP, there's no question for me. IMHO

Also, I've always had the 1st seating on the TP and you really aren't rushing back to the ship for the 6:00 dinner. You have to be back on board by 4:30 anyway as the ship leaves at 5:00 from most of the ports. We had excursions planned on every island and never felt rushed to get back to make dinner.

Drink prices on board are not out of line either. $3.50 for a beer, $4.95 for a martini, etc. Specials of the day were 3 different prices for 3 different sizes - $2.50, $3.50 and $4.50, I think. Early bird specials were Bloody Mary's or Screwdrivers for $2.00 and $3.00. They have a whole menu of different drinks, and all were reasonably priced.

Just returned last weekend and can't wait to go back. :D

rberne1,

Your facts are incorrect. There are a number of 10, 11, and 14 day cruises on PG. In fact, we leave next Friday for the French Polynesia to board PG for our "10 day cruise".:)

One of the most important differences between the two is that the TP is a 10 day cruise, while the PG is only 7. Personally, I've been on the TP twice now and do prefer it specifically because it's a 10 day cruise. I'm there to see the Tahitian islands, not for the cruise ship. And since the PG is more costly than the TP, there's no question for me. IMHO

Also, I've always had the 1st seating on the TP and you really aren't rushing back to the ship for the 6:00 dinner. You have to be back on board by 4:30 anyway as the ship leaves at 5:00 from most of the ports. We had excursions planned on every island and never felt rushed to get back to make dinner.

Drink prices on board are not out of line either. $3.50 for a beer, $4.95 for a martini, etc. Specials of the day were 3 different prices for 3 different sizes - $2.50, $3.50 and $4.50, I think. Early bird specials were Bloody Mary's or Screwdrivers for $2.00 and $3.00. They have a whole menu of different drinks, and all were reasonably priced.

Just returned last weekend and can't wait to go back. :D

Thanks to everyone for their input. We are looking forward to these islands very much.

What great drink prices on TP. We just sailed in April on the Constellation and were paying $9.50 for a Martini.

I understand you didn't feel rushed eating at 6pm but I KNOW we would. I am still worried about the early dining becuase when I get back to port at 4:30 pm and have a 8:30 dinner I am always rushing to make it. My husband and I enjoy hitting the hot tub for a bit, then the steam room. Then meet back at the cabin for a room service bite and relax on our balcony to watch sailaway. It's always our little tradition. 6pm would never work for me becuase it takes me over an hour just to blow dry and straighten my long hair!!

We also enjoy meeting people for pre dinner cocktails around 8pm. At home we eat dinner at 8pm with our work schedules and I could just never enjoy eating at 6pm at all. Plus if dinner was over at 8pm it doesn't seem like there would be much to do at night on this small ship. We are concerned enough about dinner being over at 10:30pm and having nothing to do since we always seem to dislike cruise ship shows. I've been told celebrity has the best shows and we couldn't sit through any of them. Too much real broadway under our belts I suposse. LOL

When we are looking to go PG only has 7 day sailings going on that whole month so becuase of that we are leaning towards Princess. My husband just doesn't want to book unless we can get confirmed 2nd seating. We don't have any faith that we will actually be switched after what happened to us before. Hopefully this will all come together somehow.

Hope everything works out well for you Travelgirl - we're sailing on the TP for the first time in March for my big 40 birthday. 3 days pre cruise on Moorea and one post cruise in OWB at Intercontinental in Tahiti.

We sailed the Constellation and loved it, then the Star Princess. We found the two lines to be comparable - Oceanliners beats Sabatini's in the Alternative Restaurants (in our opinion) and over all the food is slightly better on Celebrity, but we too were pleasantly surprised at how "cheap" the drinks were on Princess.

We're looking forward to the TP, she looks like a lovely ship. We booked so early, we were able to get confirmed 2nd seating. I think I would definitely prefer it on this itinerary.

Good Luck

Archived