FCO to Civitavecchia

Banjo

This has been probably asked before but was unable to find a thread.

I am arriving a week prior to my cruise, was planning on renting a car and drive around Tuscany and Umbria for that week. Probably the night before the cruise I will stay near the airport and return the car early the day of the cruise departure.

Any decent inexpensive ways from getting from FCO to Civitavecchia?

Thanks, Banjo

Train is the cheapest. I am not sure if you have to take it into Rome then transfer to come back to Civitivecchia. Other choices are car service 100+ Euros. or Cab 200 Euros.

ALternative is to return the car in Civi. I know hertz has an office there.

Not really. The only inexpensive option is the train.

Why return the car to the airport? There are several rental car agencies in Civitavecchia, why not return there? Since you will be renting for more than three days you can use one of the consolidators that offer significant discounts (autoeurope.com or kemwel.com) and usually don't have charges for dropping off at a different location.

If you have to drop the car at the airport, I'd go to the port first and drop off all but your hand luggage, then take the train.

The train costs 11 Euro and takes about an hour and a half. There is no direct train, you need to take it from the airport to the Roma Trastevere station, then change there for the train to Civitavecchia.

Not really. The only inexpensive option is the train.

Why return the car to the airport? There are several rental car agencies in Civitavecchia, why not return there? Since you will be renting for more than three days you can use one of the consolidators that offer significant discounts (autoeurope.com or kemwel.com) and usually don't have charges for dropping off at a different location.

If you have to drop the car at the airport, I'd go to the port first and drop off all but your hand luggage, then take the train.

The train costs 11 Euro and takes about an hour and a half. There is no direct train, you need to take it from the airport to the Roma Trastevere station, then change there for the train to Civitavecchia.

Thanks Paul & Euro.

I forgot about the option of returning the car at the port. Definitely look into that.

Some years ago I rented a car at the main train station in Milan. Took a leisurely ride to Venice (visiting towns along the way) and returned it at Linate Airport. No extra charge for that.

Banjo

Checked with several car rental agencies on-line, all seem to have an office in Civitavecchia.

No price difference whether returning car at airport or port.

Also, maybe I can get the car rental agency to get us over to the pier if its a good distance. If not, I am sure a short cab drive or public transportation are not expensive if I drop my bags off before I return the the car.

Thanks again, Banjo

Checked with several car rental agencies on-line, all seem to have an office in Civitavecchia.

No price difference whether returning car at airport or port.

Also, maybe I can get the car rental agency to get us over to the pier if its a good distance. If not, I am sure a short cab drive or public transportation are not expensive if I drop my bags off before I return the the car.

Thanks again, Banjo

I don't know where the others are, but Hertz is probably less than 1/2 mile from the port. Lots of restaurants and bars along the way should you need a break. :)

Be sure to fill up with gas before returning the car.

I don't know where the others are, but Hertz is probably less than 1/2 mile from the port. Lots of restaurants and bars along the way should you need a break. :)

Be sure to fill up with gas before returning the car.

Paul,

I did a map check for both Avis and Hertz, Hertz is by the train station and Avis is short walk the other way closer to town. Looks like a few block walk for both to the port shuttle. Thanks...

We have dropped off rental cars in Civi with no problems. The rental agency (I think it was Avis, but we rented through Kemwel.com) was across the main road and down a block and a half from the entrance to the port...a quick walk for my DH.

We have used Kemwel.com in Europe since 1996 and have always been very pleased. We are in Canada, but book and pay through the US before we leave for Europe. We have always had excellent service from whatever rental agency has provided the vehicle, so there seemed to be no downside to using a consolidator. The prices have been significantly lower than going through the majors directly.

It's an easy drive from FCO to Civitavecchia.

Archived