Did anyone get the Venetian Society survey?

ging466

For what it's worth -- and if anyone at SS HQ cares -- please add my voice to those voices objecting to this possible move. I have 250+ nights on Silversea and think that I *earned* my (relatively few) Venetian privileges. I would be very, very disappointed if others could simply buy their way with an annual payment to free laundry, 10% discount, etc. If anything, I think that SS should enhance the benefits currently offered to loyal passengers.

This stupid survey is HORRIBLE. It is insulting to all of us. What do you think is really going on at the corporate level? There have been terrible missteps. One after another.

We have been extremely loyal to SS; we have successfully introduced at least ten families, and have constantly been SS boosters. I've decided to stand back and take a wait and see attitude before I recommend SS again. We think SS could be on the brink of disaster. Currently we have over 80 days booked thru Spring of next year. I am very nervous about the whole situation. Maybe we should rethink our loyalty just as SS is rethinking their loyalty towards us.

I'm certainly ticked off, but even more than angry, I am sad and disappointed. Think how the wonderful, hardworking crew must feel. I bet they are scared and that is just plain terrible. Know my fellow CCers are reading this and that they care. Wish I could be sure that ANYONE at SS is paying any attention at all. End of rant..for now.

At the risk of being crucified, I'm going to suspend judgment and take the opposite view for a moment.

I honestly believe that everyone who participates in the Silversea Cruise Line forum on Cruise Critic wants Silversea to be successful. It's why we are all so passionate about the brand! And, I think we all want to be heard; for the company to seek our opinion and for the company to rationally act based on what it learns from us.

To that end, isn't the survey a step in the right direction, regardless of how poorly it was executed?

1. It sought to capture our range of responses via an objective ratings scale.
  2. It provided an opportunity on several pages to voice our opinion.
  3. Finally, it provided a peek at potential ideas the company is considering and sought our point-of-view.

Before anyone cancels their upcoming voyages, I would encourage a wait and see approach of how (or if) the company changes any existing policies over the course of the coming year. In the meantime, enjoy your cruise and the wonderful service you'll receive from the on-board crew. I imagine the vast majority of them are not even aware of this Venetian Society survey that is being conducted.

With the above said, I would encourage sharing your point-of-view directly with the Manager of the Venetian Society program (Mark Flager) who is clearly managing the survey results as his name was attached to the email message announcing the survey. Silversea uses a common email address system, so I assume he should be reachable via his first name followed by the first initial of his last name at silversea dot com.

Since Silversea is using SurveyMonkey, most likely they are conducting the research themselves as opposed to using an independent, neutral, third-party firm. Most professional research consultants and firms that I know don't use public web survey companies like SurveyMonkey for the very reasons TLCOhio mentions. While SurveyMonkey is a great tool to use in internal, corporate environments, it certainly does not come across as professional in an external, customer facing environment.

Finally, I don't want to give the appearance that I am discounting the many valid concerns that have been expressed in this topic. It is my belief there are a myriad of ways Silversea can improve customer loyalty via the Venetian Society and ultimately, isn't that the intent of the department? I for one am willing to help the company make it the best program it can be so that we may all enjoy a better Silversea experience for many, many more years to come.

Best wishes to you all!

I took a different view of the survey.I am a points junkie,totally addicted.

To maximise benefits I am in one Frequent flyer program and Rojann in another.I am in Aadvantage,she Qantas.In addition to the elite benefits they both have Annual fee clubs.These dont detract from the elite benefits.

Same with hotels though a bit harder as we only stay in 1 per night but with flights even on the same plane we can each credit to a different program.Rojaan is with Hilton,I with SPG.But in addition to the elite benefits both have a program with an annual fee for extra benefits.

I think it will be much harder for a cruise line having a paid club but it would probably be a reasonable way to get new "frequent floaters".I dont think that this would neccessarily impact on Venetian Society perks with one exception.That is internet access.To have an increasing number of people accessing the net whenever the urge takes them would invariably lead to a slowing of the service as comments I have seen with Regent passengers.Duct Tape put me right on this aboard the Cloud.

So at the moment I am looking on the bright side as I was advised by Brian.Sorry a Monty Python reference.

For what it's worth -- and if anyone at SS HQ cares -- please add my voice to those voices objecting to this possible move. I have 250+ nights on Silversea and think that I *earned* my (relatively few) Venetian privileges. I would be very, very disappointed if others could simply buy their way with an annual payment to free laundry, 10% discount, etc. If anything, I think that SS should enhance the benefits currently offered to loyal passengers.

We were proud to receive our 500 day pins on our recent voyage and have another 110 days booked.We totally agree with your brief and to the point summary which is shared by the vast majority of contributors to this thread.We only hope the lady CEO has the time to take in this thread in between family cruises.If not we like many others will for the first time since 1998 consider other "luxury" cruise lines,a situation we thought would never arise.Sadly we dont think the new top brass at SS will give a Monkeys (Didnt Monkeys do the survey?

I totally agree with BriMary and others concerning the worrying path Silversea seems to be treading. The Appointment of Ms Betteridge with her past history leads me to be unsurprised at this latest Venetian Survey. Regrettably I feel that the Carnival type mentality is gradually overtaking what we loyal Venetian Members have appreciated about a Family owned European Line.

Silversea needs to decide where it wishes to place itself in todays market - Ms Betteridge indicated her wish to make it the best Luxury Product ( her vision of such a Product may differ to ours ? ). Regrettably such aspirations can only be achieved with a clear Plan, and I doubt that such a Plan exists. Currently the Silversea Advertising of Luxury is often far from achieved in reality - Topics such as Children, Group Bookings, Incentive Travel, Wedding Parties,Shoreside Office inefficiency etc have all been aired over recent times, and they all contravene the Advertised Picture of the Luxury Brand.

In todays difficult marketplace Silversea needs to offer something unique - we feel that up to now, they have but are very doubtful for the future, unless attention is given to the views of those Guests who have been so loyal. There is much competition out there and Silversea need to understand that loyalty goes two ways.

Silversea has one outstanding and unique attraction for us ( and I believe for many others ) - their utterly wonderful and loyal Shipboard Staff. I feel they and we Venetians are currently being let down by so called Industry Experts who have no understanding of why we are Venetians.

I have to admit to a sneaking suspicion that all this money grabbing and the type of management being hired is leading to the attempted sale of Silversea.

There seems to be a huge effort to generate profits and ignore any parallel benefits for customers. I notice in all the advertising, for example, the use of the word 'fine' when describing the wine has been dropped and can find no new upgrades to anything either in print or reality.

Building up the books??

Having now seen the survey I think that it was probably a good idea that has been badly handled (or just not thought through).

With regard to using Survey Monkey, in these internet savvy times this is a very sensible and cost effective way to build and conduct a simple survey.

Its a shame that so many of SS's loyal Venetians will have quite rightly been annoyed by the fee question and its associated stupidity regarding existing benefits.

They got a piece of my mind on this as well.

It would be so helpful if someone from Silversea would participate in CC discussions, at least on a limited basis.

This is clearly a time of transition and it can only be in their interest to communicate in this medium. They don't have to get involved in ongoing back-and-forth discussions. An occasional statement or update about policy and plans would be so welcome (as long as it isn't a press release rehash). Board topics leading to rampant, sometimes negative, speculation could be easily addressed and nipped at the bud. Perhaps they even have questions they'd like to put to us.

The key is to keep it honest, real, and productive. Given the thousands of Venetians and potential passengers who read these boards, Silversea has a sterling marketing and PR opportunity here, at zero cost.

I have to admit to a sneaking suspicion that all this money grabbing and the type of management being hired is leading to the attempted sale of Silversea.

There seems to be a huge effort to generate profits and ignore any parallel benefits for customers. I notice in all the advertising, for example, the use of the word 'fine' when describing the wine has been dropped and can find no new upgrades to anything either in print or reality.

Building up the books??

I have my issues with Silversea -- something of a lover's quarrel perhaps. However, the recent renovations to the Cloud persuade me that SS is willing to invest to ensure that its product remains first-rate. There were many non-trivial improvements to the Cloud (starting, to my delight, with the doubtless very costly replacement of most bathtubs with lovely and functional showers). There are real upgrades on the Cloud, and I doubt those investments were made to build up the books.

Having now seen the survey I think that it was probably a good idea that has been badly handled (or just not thought through).

With regard to using Survey Monkey, in these internet savvy times this is a very sensible and cost effective way to build and conduct a simple survey.

But it is not an appropriate tool when you re considering a change that fundamentally alters your company's core brand positioning.

If they are seriously contemplating these types of changes, they should invest in a professionally designed and executed research program. Using Surveymonkey to survey your top customers/repeat guests sends a "cheap/amateur" signal which is an inappropriate approach for a luxury brand.

Ditto, Canadian Kate and everyone else.

The first part of the survey was encouraging, asking about your satisfaction with Venetian benefits, which of them are important to you, and what other loyalty benefits you might suggest. Then the bombshell questions suggesting a "premium benefits" package for a fee, threatening the whole concept of rewards for loyalty! As people who have always loved Silversea and have hundreds of days to prove it, we find this very disturbing.

The survey was poorly designed. It did not even ask about awareness of the current benefits..

For what it's worth, the pre-paid perks approach they are describing is similar to the Leading Hotels of the World program.

Cashipman/Craig, pls see the article at link below for more background on Mrs. Bettridge.

http://www.luxurytraveladvisor.com/agent-profiles/silversea-steps-out

Also, Steve Tucker left SS last June, prior to her arrival, in the article there is a brief profile of the guy who replaced STucker...key graph below:

New Sales Executive

Indeed, one of the first measures Bettridge did take at Silversea was to hire a vice president of sales to replace Steve Tucker, who had just left prior to her arrival. The new appointee is Kristian Anderson, the former vice president of U.S. sales for Qatar Airways, who started June 11. (See sidebar.)

That Anderson is not from the cruise industry was a purposeful decision.

“I really wanted to get a different type of thinking and approach when we think about our business, and if you bring in someone with a strong cruise background you don’t always get that,” says Bettridge. “I wanted to figure out how we can mix things up a bit. I think we have to be competitive right now so I wanted a VP of sales who also might think differently.”

According to Bettridge, Anderson has strong travel agency and customer contacts. “He’s also a strong leader of employees so those were some of the qualities that I was looking for. And he is also a fantastic salesman.”

One of the reasons Bettridge is particularly excited about her new job is that she’s always been a fan of Silversea, having sailed with them three times over the years.

“It’s a great, great brand. The service is phenomenal; the food is great; they have incredible potential,” she says. Going forward, she says, it will be important to look at how the line can provide better service. “That means thinking of how the customers will be happy, therefore our [travel agency] partners are happy.”

In her new role as president of the Americas she has yet to sail, but she’s anxious to hit the seas, knowing she’ll now look at the experience differently. Most difficult to get onboard, she says, will be the Silver Explorer expedition ship, which sails remote areas, including the polar regions, and fills up quickly.

Silver Shadow

The Silver Shadow is shown sailing in Alaska.

That adventure market has proven lucrative for Silversea, so much so that at presstime it had announced the purchase of Canodros, an Ecuadorian tourism company that operates in the Galapagos Islands. With the purchase comes an upmarket expedition ship, Galapagos Explorer II.

The cruise line plans to add the Galapagos Explorer II to its fleet of six ships next year, after the 100-guest vessel undergoes a major refurbishment in September 2013 and is given a new name, to make it consistent with the rest of the Silversea fleet.

The addition of the Silver Explorer (formerly the Prince Albert II) in 2008, says Bettridge, has assisted in pulling in a younger demographic that can graduate on to the rest of the Silversea fleet. “It’s different, though it’s definitely Silversea. It’s luxury but it’s very adventurous, and everyday you are doing something fabulous.”

Cashipman/Craig, pls see the article at link below for more background on Mrs. Bettridge.

http://www.luxurytraveladvisor.com/agent-profiles/silversea-steps-out

Also, Steve Tucker left SS last June, prior to her arrival, in the article there is a brief profile of the guy who replaced STucker...key graph below:

New Sales Executive

Indeed, one of the first measures Bettridge did take at Silversea was to hire a vice president of sales to replace Steve Tucker, who had just left prior to her arrival. The new appointee is Kristian Anderson, the former vice president of U.S. sales for Qatar Airways, who started June 11. (See sidebar.)

That Anderson is not from the cruise industry was a purposeful decision.

“I really wanted to get a different type of thinking and approach when we think about our business, and if you bring in someone with a strong cruise background you don’t always get that,” says Bettridge. “I wanted to figure out how we can mix things up a bit. I think we have to be competitive right now so I wanted a VP of sales who also might think differently.”

According to Bettridge, Anderson has strong travel agency and customer contacts. “He’s also a strong leader of employees so those were some of the qualities that I was looking for. And he is also a fantastic salesman.”

One of the reasons Bettridge is particularly excited about her new job is that she’s always been a fan of Silversea, having sailed with them three times over the years.

“It’s a great, great brand. The service is phenomenal; the food is great; they have incredible potential,” she says. Going forward, she says, it will be important to look at how the line can provide better service. “That means thinking of how the customers will be happy, therefore our [travel agency] partners are happy.”

In her new role as president of the Americas she has yet to sail, but she’s anxious to hit the seas, knowing she’ll now look at the experience differently. Most difficult to get onboard, she says, will be the Silver Explorer expedition ship, which sails remote areas, including the polar regions, and fills up quickly.

Silver Shadow

The Silver Shadow is shown sailing in Alaska.

That adventure market has proven lucrative for Silversea, so much so that at presstime it had announced the purchase of Canodros, an Ecuadorian tourism company that operates in the Galapagos Islands. With the purchase comes an upmarket expedition ship, Galapagos Explorer II.

The cruise line plans to add the Galapagos Explorer II to its fleet of six ships next year, after the 100-guest vessel undergoes a major refurbishment in September 2013 and is given a new name, to make it consistent with the rest of the Silversea fleet.

The addition of the Silver Explorer (formerly the Prince Albert II) in 2008, says Bettridge, has assisted in pulling in a younger demographic that can graduate on to the rest of the Silversea fleet. “It’s different, though it’s definitely Silversea. It’s luxury but it’s very adventurous, and everyday you are doing something fabulous.”

what do you think Col?...

If they are seriously contemplating these types of changes, they should invest in a professionally designed and executed research program. Using Surveymonkey to survey your top customers/repeat guests sends a "cheap/amateur" signal which is an inappropriate approach for a luxury brand.
TOTALLY agree!

I just booked Seabourn (OMG...gasps) for a cruise in July in Russia.

Why?

Well SS has cancelled my last 2 bookings due to rescheduling of a cruise and a charter.. so I guess if this is a pattern then why would I pay $$ for a membership (and FWIW my travel companions are in the age group they are seeking)

We have a limited departure option and I just wasn't willing to take the risk and I was wavering about who, until i got the survey. Right by July I might have to pay for my membership of venetian club ie loyalty = nothing

I lose nothing trying Seabourn and they have offered me club membership effective without having taken the first cruise..

IMHO loyalty isn't about paying premium to be a member , it's about retaining a customer by offering a perk to keep them with you..

We've just returned from our first Seabourn cruise, having decided to give them a try. And I came home to find this survey waiting in my inbox.

The survey has given us some concerns, already discussed by others here. We only have 30-ish Silversea days, so we are a long way from receiving the VS rewards, but we feel it would be very unfair to introduce this new 'pay an annual fee for the perks' scheme.

Before our Seabourn cruise we had hoped that SB would prove to be a good alternative for us to SS. This isnt the case as we were somewhat disappointed with SB. Silversea will continue to be our first choice, with SB a very long way behind but we would possibly consider SB again if the itinerary and price were right. However if SS starts to make the sort of changes outlined in the survey, we're really not sure which cruise company we'd choose as an alternate, but I don't think we'd be happy to stay with SS.

But it is not an appropriate tool when you re considering a change that fundamentally alters your company's core brand positioning.

I am sorry to say that you are 100% correct.

My company worked with the senior team (we were personally directly appointed by the owner) a few years ago at advising on satisfaction improvement and loyalty programmes. I worked closely with a VP who has since left and joined another line. Our relationship was highly productive and we left on good terms at the completion of the project. So just to answer the potential dig .... there's no sour grapes at all .......:)

It is challenging enough when you use an expert external and independent agency to advise on change. There is a lot of resistance to change. External advice is often resented. Experts would know how best to collect data, validate it, analyse it, work out what hasn't been said as well as what has been, and give the often highly unpalatable truth in a clear and concise way directly to the senior team. Customers are also often more candid with independent agencies and the agencies should have experience of how to best frame the questions. But, in essence you are often telling people what they already know but do not really wish to hear or have confirmed. The more irritiation you cause the better job you are generally doing.

As a loyal customer with lot's of days under our belt, I found I couldn't complete the survey because it simply concerned me that such an important topic was being given such an amateurish and cheap pproach and I found the clear lack of value placed on the project insulting.

I wasn't going to bother with the survey but having read these reviews I felt it a must! Impossible to disagree with most of the comments (didn't Travelodge send me something similar recently...?) but...

as one who has yet to reach 50 nights perhaps there could be a demand from others like me who are way off receiving the benefits some of you enjoy. I don't believe you should be able to buy your way in to all the benefits afforded to loyal customers but there are some 'extras' that properly packaged could make an attractive add-on. Let me hastily say that this should not replace in any way the rewards that long term Venetian members get for 'free' - it would simply offer a means for 'newbies' (?) to enjoy some of the benefits but at a price.

We spread our cruise spend around all the 'luxury' lines (plus Oceania who we feel are on the cusp of achieving what the top lines achieve). I hope that doesn't make us 'dis-loyal' (or worse!) to any one line - but it does mean only one line so far offers us any meaningful perk (Regent's free internet is a great perk) - if I ignore the not to be sniffed at 5% fare discount SS give us sometimes.

There must be many many people like us and SS might just be toying with ideas around how to make their offering even more attractive to relative newcomers whilst still doing all that they do for their long term customers.

Why, though, they have done it in such a clumsy cheap way goodness only knows...

Of course this is full of surmises but just in case I am about to be flamed I have donned my asbestos pants (trousers)....!

Adrian

Well, I feel horribly left out for not receiving the survey! Bordering on tears....tears, I tell ya...TEARS!!! (no, not really).:D

But I did send SS a message asking for it and asking that they confirm my email address as I haven't had any direct communications with them in eons.

Archived