Dawn New Year's Cruise Review

shelly11

Thanks Shelly11 for the great review! We were on the Dawn 8 years ago and can't wait to go in Feb! Do you know is there anyplace for breakfast outside? I have heard Blue Lagoon has outside seating but this may be wrong info. Love to cruise!:)

Hi Shellgirl,

If you are booked for the February 3rd sailing, please jump over to our "roll call" at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1519840&page=7

We'd love to have you at the meet & greet, cabin crawl or try your luck at our slot pull!!

Shelly,

We've always wanted to take a holiday cruise, but we balk when we see how much more expensive they usually are compared to early December sailings. Do you think it's worth it to pay a little more for a cruise that sails during a holiday (like New Year's Eve)?

Thanks!

Shelly,

We've always wanted to take a holiday cruise, but we balk when we see how much more expensive they usually are compared to early December sailings. Do you think it's worth it to pay a little more for a cruise that sails during a holiday (like New Year's Eve)?

Thanks!

We planned for this cruise the whole year, made payments and got extra latitudes points by booking so far out. We really enjoyed it. The boat still had Christmas decorations up and the New Year's Eve party was great! Everywhere we went locals were telling us happy new year. It's a big holiday and it made everyone happy.

So yes I think it was worth it. It's hard for us to take a week of other times of the year due to work and school and we didn't buy each other many Christmas presents as this was our present. In turn no one missed school and my husband only missed a few work days due to it being over a holiday.

I think it was worth it. It's hard for us to take a week of other times of the year due to work and school and we didn't buy each other many Christmas presents as this was our present. In turn no one missed school and my husband only missed a few work days due to it being over a holiday.

Thanks for the perspective, Double Latitude points-- score! We'd love to do it one Christmas or New Year but I think I too much of a cheapskate.

That photo of the Skyway bridge, by the way, sunset is amazing. Thank you for such a detailed thread.

Shelly - what times were the evening shows? I've been told 7 and 9; 7:30 and 9:30; 7 and 9:30 and 7:30 and 9. Which one is it? We're trying to plan our group activities.

Thank you!

The production shows were at 7pm and 9pm. The game shows were at 8:15pm and 10:15pm. I have my dailies in front of me. Don't know if this changes from cruise to cruise but that's what we had.

Shelli - Thanks for your nice review. I was happy to read that the Dawn still has the WOW factor. The Dawn and her sister ship, the Star are beautiful ships with very friendly crews and I am a big fan of both. IMO some of the negativity being reported stems from the two ships being compared to NCL's newest of the fleet, the Epic, the Gem and the soon to be Breakway.

Shelli - Thanks for your nice review. I was happy to read that the Dawn still has the WOW factor. The Dawn and her sister ship, the Star are beautiful ships with very friendly crews and I am a big fan of both. IMO some of the negativity being reported stems from the two ships being compared to NCL's newest of the fleet, the Epic, the Gem and the soon to be Breakway.

That's what I think too. She's a smaller ship, she's not the Epic!

We still plan on taking the Sky again this year, we love the Sky!!!

Half Pint Mini---beer tasing @ 3pm, pup hop @ 2pm, martini tasting @4pm and wine tasting @ 1pm. **all have a fee.

Edited by shelly11

• 2 weeks later...
My review was chosen as review of the week and I got a Cruise Critic bag! Thanks so much cruise critic!

Here's the review, it's a shorter version of the on in this thread. http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=113752

Congratulations Shelly! That's great! Your hard work with your nicely written detailed review paid off. Isn't it nice to be rewarded. :D

Hi, I will be on the Dawn with my family in May and also my 92 year old Mom will be with us. You mentioned blocked or dead end passagesways could you explain what you mean and where these are? I would hate to get all the way down one with my Mother only to have to turn around and walk all the way back. She is mobile but at her age not the greatest endurance walker.

Thanks.

Gene

Look at the ship floor plans on NCL. The Spinnaker lounge is at a dead end. It's a little odd to get 'stuck' in a club.

I was on deck 8 and there are some meeting rooms next to the hallway that look like it's part of the hallway. It's a bit odd but an easy turn around.

You can pick up a pocket floor plan when you check in and the elevators all have signs of what is on each floor. It just took me longer to get used to the layout than on the Sky. The Dawn is a nice ship but just harder for me to grasp the layout.

Thanks for the reply. We will be on deck nine right near the front elevators. Do those elevators go down to 4 I think that is the deck where we would get off and on in Bermuda?

I worry that Mom will strike out on her own and get confused. She likes her independence and usually makes out ok but I still worry. Probably won't be going to the Spinniker but I know we will be going to the Blue Lagoon on 8. Anyway it's hard to get Mom excited but she is and I feel happy that she will get to see Bermuda.