cdg- marriott champs elysees

jkt1220

Want to avoid public transportation as it is our first trip to EUR & we will have lots of luggage (there for 3wks, not good packers!) Arriving on a Wednesday 11:29a at CDG- need to get to marriott champs elysees

Taxi? Or shared Airfrance shuttle? Anyone have experience with a shared airfrance shuttle bus?

Thanks!

Want to avoid public transportation as it is our first trip to EUR & we will have lots of luggage (there for 3wks, not good packers!) Arriving on a Wednesday 11:29a at CDG- need to get to marriott champs elysees

Taxi? Or shared Airfrance shuttle? Anyone have experience with a shared airfrance shuttle bus?

Thanks!

If this is your first trip then by all means use a taxi..really.It iwill be the easiest for you.PLEASE use the taxis's from the taxi stand outside the doors(you will see signs) DO NOT use the people that will offer you a cheap ride hanging out by the doors...they will really rip you off. You want Taxi Parisienne(sp..I always get it wrong) you will know when you see them.It will cost a little more,but not that much.I have been to Paris quite a few times and have used almost all the different transportation just to try out and I like the taxi the best especially when I went alone. The AF Shuttle would be my second choice,but you will have to get off at one of the train stations and get into a taxi to get to the hotel and this can be confusing re first trip.Enjoy your stay in Paris which I am sure you will do.

If this is your first trip then by all means use a taxi..really.It iwill be the easiest for you.PLEASE use the taxis's from the taxi stand outside the doors(you will see signs) DO NOT use the people that will offer you a cheap ride hanging out by the doors...they will really rip you off. You want Taxi Parisienne(sp..I always get it wrong) you will know when you see them.It will cost a little more,but not that much.I have been to Paris quite a few times and have used almost all the different transportation just to try out and I like the taxi the best especially when I went alone. The AF Shuttle would be my second choice,but you will have to get off at one of the train stations and get into a taxi to get to the hotel and this can be confusing re first trip.Enjoy your stay in Paris which I am sure you will do.

This is exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you so much for your response.

As Karen said.

For a first time visit and with a lot of luggage, take a taxi. Should be around 50 to 60 Euro. Don't be surprised if you will be charged around 1 Euro for each bag. That's what they do.

At the official taxi rank (where there is a guard on duty) there are usually a range of cars waiting in line. Some regular cars and some station wagon type cars. They all cost the same. If the first car in line is too small for you and your bags, they will summons a bigger car.

Enjoy Paris!

Oh, there is a show in town "how to become a Parisian in an hour" (or a title close to that).

It is a very funny.- and slightly rude show done by a french comedian, entirely in English.

There should be flyers at the hotel and info in the excellent (and free) WHERE Paris magazine, which will also be available at the hotel.

:)

As Karen said.

For a first time visit and with a lot of luggage, take a taxi. Should be around 50 to 60 Euro. Don't be surprised if you will be charged around 1 Euro for each bag. That's what they do.

At the official taxi rank (where there is a guard on duty) there are usually a range of cars waiting in line. Some regular cars and some station wagon type cars. They all cost the same. If the first car in line is too small for you and your bags, they will summons a bigger car.

Enjoy Paris!

Oh, there is a show in town "how to become a Parisian in an hour" (or a title close to that).

It is a very funny.- and slightly rude show done by a french comedian, entirely in English.

There should be flyers at the hotel and info in the excellent (and free) WHERE Paris magazine, which will also be available at the hotel.

:)

We will def plan on using a taxi. I've heard of that show you mention- read about it on tripadviso.. has really good reviews. I was considering it, but wasn't sure we'd "get" it, don't know a whole lot about French culture other than they have the reputation of being "rude"- to Americans. I'll look into it more though. Thanks!

We will def plan on using a taxi. I've heard of that show you mention- read about it on tripadviso.. has really good reviews. I was considering it, but wasn't sure we'd "get" it, don't know a whole lot about French culture other than they have the reputation of being "rude"- to Americans. I'll look into it more though. Thanks!

I really dislike when I see the rude French to Americans thing.We as Americans (not all of us) are VERY rude when we travel and if you people watch on your trip you will see what I mean.We want it now,we want it OUR way and if not not done just so "they" were rude.I have been going to France and Paris for quite awhile and I have yet to find this rude business. They have rules(like don't touch merchandise in the stores) and they always say bonjour when get on a bus or entering a store..we are not so polite.A smile,and trying to say thank you,hello in French will get you a long way.When we leave our shores we are in a foreign country per se,and the cultures are not the same,but a little understanding and politness can go a long way is my take on travel.

Sorry for the rant.

I think an 11:29 am arrival is fine for taxi. We arrived at the height of rush hour and took over an hour to get to the city from CDG. At 11:29, it should be less than 30 minutes.

While most of the Parisians we dealt with were involved in the tourist/hospitality industry, we didn't run into any rude people. Maybe if we got more involved in the general population, we would have. But I didn't see it anywhere.

I really dislike when I see the rude French to Americans thing.We as Americans (not all of us) are VERY rude when we travel and if you people watch on your trip you will see what I mean.We want it now,we want it OUR way and if not not done just so "they" were rude.I have been going to France and Paris for quite awhile and I have yet to find this rude business. They have rules(like don't touch merchandise in the stores) and they always say bonjour when get on a bus or entering a store..we are not so polite.A smile,and trying to say thank you,hello in French will get you a long way.When we leave our shores we are in a foreign country per se,and the cultures are not the same,but a little understanding and politness can go a long way is my take on travel.

Sorry for the rant.

I totally agree. I spent a week in Paris with my son in December. At the end, he said "Wow, I don't understand why Americans think the French are rude at all."

A lot of Americans do not take the time to understand cultural differences. In Europe, the culture is much more around being professional than being friendly. Americans -- used to being greeted with a big smile and and a lot of chat -- sometimes think the staff at hotels or shops or restaurants are rude. They're not; they just don't place a high value on the "personal" interaction in what they perceive as a "business" environment.

Just as a counterpoint to the "rudeness" thing -- Twice we were waiting in line at the metro station to buy carnets of tickets and the person in front of us needed detailed help from the representative. Each time, the person behind the glass spent a lot of time looking up information and going over it with the person in line (to the point where there may have been quite a long line behind us). There was never any hint of impatience at repeated questions or any sense of trying to hurry them along. Who knows? The people in the long line behind us may very well have thought the French were inefficient or slow or whatever -- but in truth, they were very helpful and nice.

Yeah, I take the whole "rude" thing with a grain of salt- which is why I put quotes around it. One has to be open minded that Paris is in fact another country that has a culture different than ours. Truth is no matter where you are in the world you are going to come across rude people- no need to let it ruin your day and just move on. I'm really looking forward to our trip and have been brushing up on my "bonjours" and other simple phrases that may help us get by. I've been doing a lot of research using Rick Steve's resources and he does a great job helping on understand a little about the French culture vs. Americans

We stayed there this past summer for 4 nights. We took a taxi.

It is in a GREAT location! We walked just about everywhere. We really only took the metro because we wanted to experience it. If you go, you MUST go to the steak-frites place we went to that is close to the hotel. it is called Relais de l'entrecote (this is also in my trip report, just scroll down for it)

You can see my review with LOTS of pics starting here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1700095&page=13

We stayed there this past summer for 4 nights. We took a taxi.

It is in a GREAT location! We walked just about everywhere. We really only took the metro because we wanted to experience it. If you go, you MUST go to the steak-frites place we went to that is close to the hotel. it is called Relais de l'entrecote (this is also in my trip report, just scroll down for it)

You can see my review with LOTS of pics starting here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1700095&page=13

Thanks Ashley. Relais de l'entrecote is already on my list- got the recommendation from your review! We are the couple getting married in Aug- who like you has been together 10+ yrs & went to prom together-- remember now!?? You're review has been so helpful as I plan.

Quick question about the "RNC"... which one did you go to? I noticed there were a couple & was trying to figure out which was closer to the hotel. Did you walk to/from their from Marriott?

Thanks Ashley. Relais de l'entrecote is already on my list- got the recommendation from your review! We are the couple getting married in Aug- who like you has been together 10+ yrs & went to prom together-- remember now!?? You're review has been so helpful as I plan.

Quick question about the "RNC"... which one did you go to? I noticed there were a couple & was trying to figure out which was closer to the hotel. Did you walk to/from their from Marriott?

AhhhHA that's right! When I leave the X boards I always fail to recognize people I know :D I can't wait to hear about your trip! I hope you do a review :)

we went to this one:

15 Rue Marbeuf

75008 Paris, France

it is very easy to get to from the hotel. You cross Champs-Elysees, Walk down Rue Pierre Charron (We called it Pair CHer lol to remember it), then left on Francois (there is another road you could take), and right on Marbeuf.

Also to get to the Seine area (i.e. bridges to cross to get to tower, and where we picked up Bateux Mouches) you take Pierre Charron and a left on George V and BAM you are at Pont de l'Alma (the main bridge to cross and pick up the river cruise).

It is about 3 miles to the tower from the hotel. I can give you more info about walking to placed from the hotel if you would like.

Yes, you can walk almost everywhere but it will be a lot of walking. Perhaps this is why I lost 10 pounds in paris in 4.5 days!

Oh and I should add, taxi was more expensive than public transport but it is the easiest way. When we left we had the desk the night before set up a taxi van for us.

Also are you a Platinum Marriott member? If so your breakfast will be free, otherwise it is very expensive! ANd not all rooms have a window facing outside. Emma is one of the congeries and she is super nice!

I've copied the address and your directions into our itinerary. I plan on using the website you recommended to map out how to get from place to place & have also been using the Metro Website which does a pretty good job of mapping out how to get from place to place on the Metro. We are from Boston, & often visit NYC- so we really don't mind walking everywhere, if we hop in a taxi or on the metro it will be to save time.

Right now on our 2nd night I have planned dinner at "RNC" & then going to a jazz club. I've been trying really hard to plan our time there as a careful balance between sight seeing, and taking time to just take in Parisian life.... I want to picnic in the gardens, sit at a cafe & stroll the streets holding hands.

I really want to visit the lovers bridge you referenced in your post- is this near the hotel? Also one more question sort of off topic--- did you use a point & shoot camera or a larger DSLR camera?

Oh and I should add, taxi was more expensive than public transport but it is the easiest way. When we left we had the desk the night before set up a taxi van for us.

Also are you a Platinum Marriott member? If so your breakfast will be free, otherwise it is very expensive! ANd not all rooms have a window facing outside. Emma is one of the congeries and she is super nice!

Don't think we are platinum, no biggie for breakfast.... I guess I'll just have to settle for a pain au chocolat for breakfast ;) from somewhere. We were lucky enough to book all of our airfare & hotels on points- we would have never been able to afford Marriott CE w/o points as it goes for 1000USD nightly. I don't think we'll be spending much time in the room other than to sleep- so my only request when making the reservation was a quiet room!

Right now on our 2nd night I have planned dinner at "RNC" & then going to a jazz club. I've been trying really hard to plan our time there as a careful balance between sight seeing, and taking time to just take in Parisian life.... I want to picnic in the gardens, sit at a cafe & stroll the streets holding hands.

I really want to visit the lovers bridge you referenced in your post- is this near the hotel? Also one more question sort of off topic--- did you use a point & shoot camera or a larger DSLR camera?

I don't remember if I said this in my report, but the French eat dinner late so RNC doesn't open until I believe 7 and a line forms quickly! The first night I think we waited in line 30ish minutes and I think the second time maybe closer to 40. But honestly I didn't mind the wait at all, I was just so happy to be standing on a sidewalk in paris with the Eiffel Tower peaking up behind the buildings :)

Oh yes, I had hopes of picnic-ing and laying in the gardens... but we had kinda crappy weather :( Hope you will be able to do it!!!!

The only thing that is away from the hotel is the Notre Dame area- and that is where the lovers bridge is. I would recommend taking the metro to the Louvre. What we did was took metro to Louvre... did the Louvre, then from there walked to Notre Dame and the lovers bridge. I think the lovers bridge is the bridge right in front of the island Notre Dame is on. SO those 3 things (Louvre, Notre Dame, Pont d'arts (lovers bridge)) are all in the same area. https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF-8&q=pont+de+arts&fb=1&gl=us&hq=pont+de+arts&cid=0,0,5352402163645865109&ei=lP_6UJHfB4r69gS65ICAAw&ved=0CLQBEPwSMAM

I hope this link will bring you to my map, if so zoom in and it will kinda give you a visual of how everything is geographically

http://www.notfortourists.com/CustomMapPage.aspx?mapID=1437

I used a point and shoot. I spent a lot of time also researching cameras. Originally I was going to go with a DSLR but then I realized I would probably be worried about it the entire time and I didn't want to deal with switching lenses/carrying lenses around. I tried out a lot of point and shoot cameras from Wolf Camera and ended up going with a more expensive one (still cheaper than a DSLR + lenses) but I have I think 18x zoom and great panoramic and video options. It is a sony. It also has a pop-up flash so it is a littler better than the kind of flash on most point and shoots. Now they have some nicer point and shoots- Sony and Nikon I think came out recently with some awesome ones.

Don't think we are platinum, no biggie for breakfast.... I guess I'll just have to settle for a pain au chocolat for breakfast ;) from somewhere. We were lucky enough to book all of our airfare & hotels on points- we would have never been able to afford Marriott CE w/o points as it goes for 1000USD nightly. I don't think we'll be spending much time in the room other than to sleep- so my only request when making the reservation was a quiet room!

Yes same here, we used points for everything! Our room was very quiet and got nice and dark! Ahh I am so excited for you!!! I wish I was going back! So many memories from that hotel! You have to let me know how it was. Hope RNC and everything I told you will still be just as good! RNC actually was just featured in a CNN article a couple weeks ago about eating in Paris, I hope that doesn't make it explode with popularity and decline in quality. You will have to let me know if it is still 25 Euros and good quality.

Archived