Australian visa question

mcpepe

I am beginning to get the idea that the cruise lines will nickel and dime you to death if you let them. After directly checking out some of the excursion companies on their web sites I am now seeing why booking them through the cruise-line is not the way to go in some cases, especially when the add-on charge seems to be double or more..

I am beginning to get the idea that the cruise lines will nickel and dime you to death if you let them. After directly checking out some of the excursion companies on their web sites I am now seeing why booking them through the cruise-line is not the way to go in some cases, especially when the add-on charge seems to be double or more..

Choosing to use the ship tours for shore tours, or not, is a personal choice. Yes they will have a premium, but is hardly nickle and diming in the commonly accepted meaning of the word, adding small charges to many things in order to get your money little by little.

Some personal thoughts:

Reasons not to use ship tours:

- more expensive than same or similar tour thru private operator

- limited to the actual tour available ie you cannot personalise

- some things you may like to do are not included in ship tour options

Reasons to use ship tours

- convenience - after all you are on vacation

- priority disembarking, particularly helpful at tender ports

- if you get back late the ship waits for you

- if port is missed, arrive late etc you get a refund - for pre-paid private tour you may have trouble getting your money (or deposit) back

- some tours are available only thru the ship as they book the only boat or train etc that does that tour

- save time on shore looking for tour operators

- if you get back late the ship waits for you

We have mostly used ship tours but that's us.

Happy cruising

TAs don't have to pay to get an ETA, as there is technically no fee for an ETA. It is thus not uncommon to find TAs providing ETAs to clients for no charge.

The AUD 20 charge made by the Australian government is a service fee, and it is also common to find other services charging a service fee of this order to do it. Unfortunately, the general public has no direct access to the ETA application process to do it for free.

While it seems a little pedantic to point all this out, it might be useful for someone who thinks that they can use the information to negotiate their TA into doing their ETA with no charge.

Note for European readers: The above relates to the ETA and NOT to the eVisitor which European visitors will normally need. The eVisitor is available directly from the Australian government for no charge, and there is virtually no reason on earth why you should pay anyone to get an eVisitor for you.

Hi Globaliser. I have just started a new thread with a question about a tourist visa from the UK. I should just have addressed to you as I am sure you will have an answer for me. Thanks

Archived