Question about upgrades

Going on a 10 day cruise in March with the in laws and my sister in law's family. She's a family of 7, and they have connecting rooms and linked reservations.

I had heard somewhere on here that a lot of times the upgrade fairy visits first time cruisers on RCI before veterans... is there any truth to that?

Also, is there even the slightest chance that they would be moved from the 2 connecting balcony rooms into a royal family suite? Checking online I see that at least one is still available.

And my last question, if they did get an upgrade, how would they be notified. Would the TA that we booked through be notified or would she find out at the pier?

As much as I want an upgrade, I want her family to get one even more. This is their first cruise, and I'm hoping to get them addicted like the rest of us are!

Not something I'd lose sleep over. The odds of them going from two balconies to a RFS on a free upgrade are about the same as me winning the next Powerball - and I don't buy tickets.

So chances are that high, huh?:D Better than I expected!!

Not something I'd lose sleep over. The odds of them going from two balconies to a RFS on a free upgrade are about the same as me winning the next Powerball - and I don't buy tickets.

Those odds sound about right.

I really think some people who post on CC about upgrades as new or relatively new cruisers are doing it just to pull people's strings. And sadly it works....people buy it hook, line and sinker, stewing about all their cruises without upgrades. Don't get me wrong...once in a while people of all stripes get upgrades...some as upgraded on guarantee bookings, some because the revenue dept wants their cabins, some are C&A upgrades, some are inexplicable. I do not think you should even mention the possibility of an upgrade to your SIL; no point getting her hopes up for the highly improbable.

OK, to your questions in order:

Not sure the logic, but I have heard both realative newbies and vets getting upgrades. (happened to us as Diamonds two weeks ago).

No. Especially a jump in category like that.

Depends on when the upgrade is done. We were notified a week before sailing and our TA was cc'd - but we know someone who was upgraded at the pier. (Interestingly they had three in an ocean view balcony on Oasis and were split at the pier to their original balcony and a boardwalk balcony view across the hall for their daughter as a solo).

Hopefully your family will get hooked either way.

It's funny, I don't want an upgrade. I get the cabin I want and i don't want to be moved. We've never sailed in anything bigger than a D1, upcoming cruise we're in an aft E1. That's what we wanted and we want to stay there.

I guess if I had an inside cabin then I'd wish for an upgrade...

I have a junior suite, and I'm thrilled with that. But it would be nice if my sister in law's whole family could be in 1 room. When we booked it, the prices were way to high to consider it.

Now that we're getting closer, I'm hoping they or my mother and father in law get upgraded.

Archived