Calling from ship

TaylorMace

What is the best way to call home from the ship? I have verizon and read that it is $2.50 a minute from ship. Has anyone used Skype or some other feature and paid for internet minutes to make calls via ipad or laptop?

How about calling from Princess Cays/Curacua/Arub (our three ports). Are these also at the $2.50 rate via verizon?

Our DD7 asked if we could call her each day for a quick hello.

When you are ON the ship, you will pay whatever roaming charges the ship desires to charge you.

If you are in port, and have an "international" calling plan added to your phone, you will only pay whatever your phone company tells you they will charge you. Don't expect any connection from Princess Cays....it's the ship's private island and ship's rate apply, if there is a connection at all.

E-mail on the ship is your cheapest option. You can also tell your 7 year old that you'll call when you can....she's going to forget about the "daily call" about 2 hours after you're gone!

On the ship, you have some choices. You can use your cell which will usually cost $2.49 per minute. The other choice is your cabin phone. Cost will depend on the cruise line. You can also use Skype or a similar service. Note that some cruise ship block access to Skype type services. Even when they are allowed service is often unreliable. Cost would be the ship internet charge.

In port, you can use your cell phone (check with your provider on charges) or purchase a phone card to make a call. You can also use Skype at an internet cafe or using wifi where available.

http://businessportals.verizonwireless.com/international/Roaming/Caribbean/Curacao.html

http://businessportals.verizonwireless.com/international/Roaming/Caribbean/Aruba.html

http://businessportals.verizonwireless.com/international/Roaming/Caribbean/Bahamas.html

Calls from those islands are $1.99/minute. Princess Cays is on Eleuthera in the Bahamas.

When I was on Princess this summer the Verizon roaming rate was $2.49/minute. T-Mobile is much higher for some reason.

I'm still trying to figure out the cheapest way to call home daily for DW to talk to DD7 briefly.

From what I have read:

100 Minutes = $55

Possibly Skype Voice - but warned it might not work - Anyone with recent expericence?

Might try to Facetime with Parents since they have an iPhone and we do too. Nyone with experience?

Or - could just call using verizon at $2.49 a minute. For $55 could talk for about 22 minutes.

Anyone out there vacation without their kids and try to call home recently?

What is the best way to call home from the ship? I have verizon and read that it is $2.50 a minute from ship. Has anyone used Skype or some other feature and paid for internet minutes to make calls via ipad or laptop?

How about calling from Princess Cays/Curacua/Arub (our three ports). Are these also at the $2.50 rate via verizon?

Our DD7 asked if we could call her each day for a quick hello.

not enough band width for skype. Internet is SSSSSSSSllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwww

My wife has packed a present for the kids to open each day. It makes for a happier kid and lets them know how many days left. Takes the sting out of being away a little.

Some ports, St Thomas, San Juan have general service from us providers. Check with your provider before cruising.

Internet is SO slow ... we normally call to check in every other day. On our back to back in November, we found a couple places that we had free wi-fi but I certainly wouldn't suggest using the phone in your cabin. I believe it's something like $7.99 a minute.

I have Vonage for my home phone - if you use Vonage they have a new smartphone app for VOIP calling using a WiFi connection. It probably won't work aboard the ship for the reasons mentioned but it's a great way to make a call if you can find a free or cheap WiFi hotspot while you're ashore.

I use Friend Caller Pro. Free App for iPhone/Pads. They sell you minutes in bulk for .01 to .015 per minute. There are lots of places with Free Wifi that you can make calls from. This service has worked for me on Princess and in my home. If on an iPhone it will send your correct phone number when the call goes out. Service is clear. I have had it 3 years. Yes some folks block the VOIP ports on their WiFI. The last thing you want to do is use your phone on the ship when it is NOT in port. Local International Roaming rates are $2.50 for ATT in Freeport and Nassau.

I'm still trying to figure out the cheapest way to call home daily for DW to talk to DD7 briefly.

From what I have read:

100 Minutes = $55

Possibly Skype Voice - but warned it might not work - Anyone with recent expericence?

Might try to Facetime with Parents since they have an iPhone and we do too. Nyone with experience?

Or - could just call using verizon at $2.49 a minute. For $55 could talk for about 22 minutes.

Anyone out there vacation without their kids and try to call home recently?

You still need to add taxes etc. into your plan to use your cell phone.

Can you call ever other day perhaps?

Carnival and NCL have greatly reduced the cost of calling from your cabin phone. Now it is only $1.99 a minute. Maybe Princess will follow suit. Skype does not work.

Archived