Prices of drinks not that bad!!

DT1304

I'm not sure comparing drink prices on board to bar prices on land is fair.

In a bar there is usually no cover charge, so what you pay includes not only the drink but the cost of the facility, utilities, etc.

On a cruise you have paid a fare so what you pay for the drink is all extra.

This is why it's such a big money-maker.

Anyway I'm happy to have the 10-drinks per day crowd help subsidize my cruise.

Yeah, but aren't all the drinks in Australia giant sized like the can of Foster's?

Well wine certainly isn't! Their measure is 125ml which I thought was a taste lol plus if you want double it's double the price. Not like here where it works out much cheaper to have a 250 ml:D

Yeah, but aren't all the drinks in Australia giant sized like the can of Foster's?

Not what I drink. :)

I would rather drink water than a can of Fosters TBH, but thats just my taste. I drink normal size bottles of beer (Heineken or Crown Lager, Aussie beer).

When I buy whiskey the bottles here are 700ml, not the 750ml or 1L that I used to buy where I used to live.

Before our 1st cruise in '11 I was wondering about alcohol costs onboard as I thought we would pay a premium like at an entertainment venue or sports stadium - the old captive audience situation. I actually was pleasantly surprised A$4.50 for beer, A$6.00 for a bourbon + coke - compared well with bars on land.

In '12 the prices were up a little on this, but still good value. I will find out in 10 more days if the value is still there :D

Note: all my cruises have been Aussie out of Sydney

Same or cheaper for drinks onboard as in my local bar so I agree its not bad deal. I prefer to drink among others and spend my time in the bars but still would be nice to have a drink or two in the room without having to get room service or go bring it back. But small complaint.

I found the prices on Liberty expensive. Small bottle of cider around $5 - on top of that was 15% gratuity, and on top of that again another 10% - 15% Spanish tax was added ( hubby drinks pints) this meant 2 small btls of cider cost just under $15 - that is expensive if worked into £££££s

This year we are going back to Thomsons - everything included - will still tip and the service will be just as good :D

Perhaps it is just that living in Australia things are excessively expensive, but I really did not find the drinks prices all that high on my recent Radiance sailing.

Soft drinks at $2,50 a can. Beers at $5,50 a bottle. Cocktails at around $7,50 each, inclusive of tip.

In Australia, those prices are much cheaper than I would expect to pay in any bar or restaurant. Obviously I would pay less at a supermarket, but I am comparing to restaurants. In Melbourne I would pay around $3,50 a can for soft drinks and around $6-$7 for a beer.

Agree...Anyone who lives in or near a large city pays a LOT more than that...

We live in a retirement area and retirement areas are known for low prices, but the prices on the cruise ship are not that much different than prices around here, except for the local red neck bars(which are fun).

Wine is another issue!!!!!! but that is just the way it is, pay me now or later, with the price of cruises so low, they have to make a profit with other things.

Archived