Is Grandeur really the stinker of the seas?

Thinking about taking a cruise this fall out of Baltimore on Grandeur but read a bunch of posts here lately about it having a bad smell. How bad is it? Didn't this ship just go through a major refurb this past spring?

I'm hoping this "stinker" thing has just been blown out of proportion. If there is indeed a bad smell is it more prevalant to certain areas of the ship?

Blown out of proportion .....maybe. We sailed on her in 2004 and it ws not good! Vowed we would never sail on her again. However.....you should never say never. We sailed on her this past summer right after the refurb and she was fabulous. We had no problems at all. The refurb was very impressive. I understand others have had some problems, though. I would not hesitate to sail on her again.

Sailed her in October and there were problems. Our cabin was on deck 3 right by the Centrum and that's where the stink was on our sailing. It was not from the plumbing (though the smell was definitely that of sewer gas). It was in the air ducts.

We did meet some folks at breakfast one day who had a toilet overflow problem and the toilet in our cabin and several others would sometimes flush on its own schedule, but it did flush.

The ship really went out of its way to try to alleviate the problem, cleaning and spraying our cabin every time we left, however it didn't help in the middle of the night. I know that they are trying to fix this defect. It's just as vexing for the crew and the company as it is for the guests. I am absolutely confident that they are doing everything they can to find the source of the problem and alleviate it.

I would suggest that you do not book mid ship as that was where the problem was on our sailing. Guests who were not mid ship only experienced the aroma when boarding from the ports and sometimes in the Centrum itself.

The ship is beautiful. The refurb was great. The crew of the Grandeur is, literally, spectacular (with the exception of one Cruise Director staffer who is supposed to be on Oasis now, if she hasn't been let go). The MDR was still on the old menu but the food was very good.

Just don't book mid-ship and you should be fine.

Edited by Kellie Poodle

Sailed her in October and there were problems. Our cabin was on deck 3 right by the Centrum and that's where the stink was on our sailing. It was not from the plumbing (though the smell was definitely that of sewer gas). It was in the air ducts.

I would suggest that you do not book mid ship as that was where the problem was on our sailing. Guests who were not mid ship only experienced the aroma when boarding from the ports and sometimes in the Centrum itself.

Just don't book mid-ship and you should be fine.

So glad I changed from 3617 (midship) to 3023 (forward) then :)

• 2 weeks later...

We are hooked cruising out of Baltimore on Enchantment, and we're really disappointed she's being repositioned to Port Canaveral to be turned into a cruise bus for the 3/4 night itineraries.

Since Grandeur is a Vision-class non-stretched sister also with a recent major refurb/refit, we were hoping we could continue to enjoy cruising out of Baltimore.

Unfortunately, the posted November and December 2012 cruise critic member reviews all mention the raw sewage stench. Even the reviews from members who otherwise loved Grandeur had mention of the overpowering sewage smell in parts of the ship.

So I guess we'll continue to monitor the January and February 2013 Grandeur reviews. We really can't commit to booking a summer/fall cruise on Grandeur until more reviews don't mention anything about the bad smells.

Optimistically keeping fingers crossed. :)

Edited by KarlS

After reading many reviews, I heard Monarch was the stinkiest, and oh boy was she stinky last Feb! I hope all the refurbishing before being sold will help it. It was in the lower decks where I was (maybe 3? can't remember) and forward. It was terrible. If I didn't have the great idea to blame it on the people walking in front of me (got a few laughs), it would have been completely unbearable.

We are hooked cruising out of Baltimore on Enchantment, and we're really disappointed she's being repositioned to Port Canaveral to be turned into a cruise bus for the 3/4 night itineraries.

Since Grandeur is a Vision-class non-stretched sister also with a recent major refurb/refit, we were hoping we could continue to enjoy cruising out of Baltimore.

Unfortunately, the posted November and December 2012 cruise critic member reviews all mention the raw sewage stench. Even the reviews from members who otherwise loved Grandeur had mention of the overpowering sewage smell in parts of the ship.

So I guess we'll continue to monitor the January and February 2013 Grandeur reviews. We really can't commit to booking a summer/fall cruise on Grandeur until more reviews don't mention anything about the bad smells.

Optimistically keeping fingers crossed. :)

Baltimore is a close and convenient port. We have sailed several times on Enchantment of the Seas and enjoyed the ship. We have reservations about Grandeur with the issues about the smell. I am sure they are working diligently to address this.

We are planning a cruise in early 2014 aboard Grandeur and wiil be crossing our fingers also and hopefully won't have to hold our nose.

Baltimore is a close and convenient port. We have sailed several times on Enchantment of the Seas and enjoyed the ship.

Amen to the convenience of Baltimore as a departure port. We take the cash we would've otherwise spent on airfare getting to a far-away departure port, and then use some of that to upgrade our cabin class to a suite. Combine the upgraded cabin with the less-than-ninety-minute drive to Baltimore, and it's been a really great incentive to cruise twice on Enchantment.

Even with these benefits, though, having to put up with raw sewage stench and random-flush toilets,... We'll hold off booking a cruise on Grandeur until these stinky reports stop showing up in cruise critic member reviews. (It seems from the recent reviews the on-board engineering and hotel staff can't comment even on the existence of a problem).

We'd like to be positive about RCI coming up with a speedy resolution, but trying to engineer a fix on an old ship (even with the latest comfort upgrades) seems like it'll be a monumental, (and most likely band-aid like), task.

There are sooo many conflicting reports regarding the smell. Some say it was horrible, some say there was no smell at all? Who knows for sure at this point.

I cannot wait for the repo cruise in April regardless!! Nine nights of awesome ports out of San Juan, woohooo :p

There are sooo many conflicting reports regarding the smell. Some say it was horrible, some say there was no smell at all? Who knows for sure at this point.

I cannot wait for the repo cruise in April regardless!! Nine nights of awesome ports out of San Juan, woohooo :p

The smell comes and goes. It was in the centrum and in our cabin right near the centrum in October. It was not constant and, though it was an annoyance, we otherwise loved the ship. The crew was fabulous, the food was great and our cruise itinerary was amazing. We had a fabulous time despite the odor. It is not as terrible as some describe it. Nowhere near the stench of raw sewerage. (We are RVers and are very familiar of the aroma of a dump station - this was nothing as bad) People on board were describing it as "cabbage cooking" or "broccoli cooking".

People we sailed with who were not mid-ship had no problems other than the smell when embarking at the ports via the mid-ship gangway on deck 1 and a few occasions in the centrum during entertainments.

I know for a fact that Corporate Headquarters is aware of the issue with this ship and I would think that, rather than lose revenue, they will be doing everything they can to fix this problem, but I think it's hard to do it when the ship is always sailing with guests aboard.

It might result in the company taking it off the schedule for a period of time until they can remedy the issue. I refuse to believe that RCI, having knowledge of the problem, is not taking every measure to correct it.

Amen to the convenience of Baltimore as a departure port. We take the cash we would've otherwise spent on airfare getting to a far-away departure port, and then use some of that to upgrade our cabin class to a suite. Combine the upgraded cabin with the less-than-ninety-minute drive to Baltimore, and it's been a really great incentive to cruise twice on Enchantment.

Even with these benefits, though, having to put up with raw sewage stench and random-flush toilets,... We'll hold off booking a cruise on Grandeur until these stinky reports stop showing up in cruise critic member reviews. (It seems from the recent reviews the on-board engineering and hotel staff can't comment even on the existence of a problem).

We'd like to be positive about RCI coming up with a speedy resolution, but trying to engineer a fix on an old ship (even with the latest comfort upgrades) seems like it'll be a monumental, (and most likely band-aid like), task.

since our son moved from Texas to Wilmington, DE, we have been looking forward to our cruise out of Baltimore on the Grandeur. the money that we saved on airfare and the hotel the nigth before the cruise, we used for an upgrade to a Grand Suite to celebrate or anniveersary. We have sailed the GotS on 3 separate occassions with no stench or odor. I'm sure that when it comes time for our sailing in November (ugh) that al will be well with the ship.

I'm hoping for the best. There have been very few recent reviews about the Grandeur. Perhaps no news is good news. I'm sure once it is repositioned to Baltimore we'll see more information. But I'm anxious to find out now if RCCL has corrected the problems.

Exactly, I have scoured the internet trying to find pics and vids post refurb, but they are difficult to find, and the ones I find are usually of people vacationing and not the pics of the ship, to be expected, but still.

• 9 months later...
Exactly, I have scoured the internet trying to find pics and vids post refurb, but they are difficult to find, and the ones I find are usually of people vacationing and not the pics of the ship, to be expected, but still.

Are you expecting pics and vids regarding the sewage smell problem? We had a broken pipes problem in our Larger Interior Stateroom, Cabin 4539, twice during our 10/25/2013 Grandeur of the Seas Cruise to Bermuda...we did smell the raw sewage smell in our cabin briefly...Grandeur used powerful but loud blowers to dry out the carpet 2 feet inside our door...a 2 foot by 2 foot patch of wet carpet (two different days & the blower was used during the day when we were not in our cabin very much).

We did enjoy our cruise as we do all of them. However, from our research, we believe that the Grandeur of the Seas has had the most threads about this plumbing (& smell) issue over the years...as far back as 2005 or maybe even before that and has not managed to repair the problem...even with a number of drydocks. :)

Edited by cruiseclues