Scenery along Jade 10 and 11 night Mediterranean Trips

I am wondering what the scenery is like as you go past Europe on the 10 and 11 night Mediterranean Trips? We are doing the 10 night on March 6 and it would be exciting to know if we cruise past the Amalfi coast or anywhere interesting besides where we pull into port.

L.A.S.T.

What are your ports of call?

I do recall some interesting scenery going from Rome/Naples to Greece or Turkey, when we went thru the straits of Messina. Cruising thru the Greek islands is beautiful with small island all around. Otherwise, you are often at sea and the scenery becomes interesting as you go into and leave port. On a beautiful sunny day, sometimes the Mediterranean can be very beautiful in and of itself.

Here's our itinerary:

Rome, Italy

Sea Day

Katakolo, Greece

Pireaus, Greece

Izmir, Turkey

Istanbul, Turkey - 2 days

Sea Day

Sea Day

Naples, Italy

Rome, Italy

I hope we see the Amalfi Coast on the way into Naples. Seeing some of the Greek Islands sounds great too. We are probably not going to do much in Katakolo so we can rest up for 4 intensive days in port. :D

L.A.S.T.

I think we'll be able to see some of the battlefields of Gallipoli, Turkey on the way into Istanbul. There are some markers visible from the ship, and hopefully we'll get some good commentary as we pass them.

I think we'll be able to see some of the battlefields of Gallipoli, Turkey on the way into Istanbul. There are some markers visible from the ship, and hopefully we'll get some good commentary as we pass them.

Awesome!!

I will definetly be near a window when we sail into Istanbul as it is so cool to see Topkapi, Hagia Sophia, and the Blue Mosque as we sail in. I bet Dolmabahce will be cool to see as well! Can't wait!!

L.A.S.T.

The Straights of Messina are beautiful to sail through. You can see land from both sides. When you get to the bottom you will have good voews of Mt Etna. We sailed past Stombolli (huge volcano) when we did the Jade. However, I think there are new laws on how close they can sail to it now (due to Concordia). Still, it is beautiful. Sailing into Istanbul is a treat. You will sail up the Dardanelles which has some interesting sites. Sailing into Istanbul itself, you will pass the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia on the left of the ship.

Here's our itinerary:

Rome, Italy

Sea Day

Katakolo, Greece

Pireaus, Greece

Izmir, Turkey

Sea Day

Sea Day

Naples, Italy

Rome, Italy

I hope we see the Amalfi Coast on the way into Naples. Seeing some of the Greek Islands sounds great too. We are probably not going to do much in Katakolo so we can rest up for 4 intensive days in port. :D

L.A.S.T.

I have cruised in and out of Naples a number of time, you can see the mountains and the beauty of the Amalfi coast is much more impressive from the shore than the ship I am afraid. At least that is my persective... you will cruise by Capri on the way out.

I just got back from the Jade 10 day itinerary. I think what you are going to be able to see will be based on the amount of day light hours at the time of year you are sailing. Many of the scenic vantage points that were mentioned above were not able to be seen on my cruise due to night time or early morning sail by times. You will be able to see very clearly the Straight of Messina around noon on the 1st sea day, Mt. Etna in the distance an hour or so later, and coming into the Bosphorus straight and Istanbul since it is an early afternoon arrival. We were not able to see Stromboli, the Dardenelles, the Amalfi coast, Cape Sounion, and many of the greek islands, etc during our cruise due to being too dark.

Thank you all very much! I am very excited and will take a peek out deck or our balcony based on your recommendations. WE will be at nearly the 1/2 way point between the most and least amount of light since it will be mid march for our cruise, so I will just keep my fingers crossed. :D

L.A.S.T.

Go to the bridge viewing room on deck 11 when you are going through the Messina Straight. That's when you will see the most officers on the bridge watching the ship passing through the straight intensely. When we passed Stromboli on the NCL, it was very cloudy so we did not see anything but when we were on the MSC we could see smoke and flames spitting out from the volcano. What a sight!

hen I sailed on the Galaxy, the Messina Straits are great to sail through as there is land both sides and interesting scenery. I never saw Etna at the end of it though so I will have to look out for it this time myself! :)

I certainly did see Stromboli in the morning, wow that was a sight with the smoke billowing out the top! I saw it on the way back too but it was dark and we had already sailed quite far past it but you could see the red glow of the lava coming out of the top.

Sailing into Naples is very pretty (although lots of brown haze) but the views of the city and Vesuvius sailing away were great.

Looking forward to sailing into Istanbul too! :)

Waking up the very 1st morning having left Rome the day before on our very 1st cruise DH opened the curtain to the balcony - "what can you see?" I asked - "Oh - a Volcano" he nonchalantly replied - so our 1st sight was that of Stomboli - WOW !:)

The remainder of our cruise was much like yours - our cabin was Starboard, not that this really mattered that much because much of the sights were seen from up on the decks or at the very front or back. Messina Straights was impressive watching all the other ships around all squeeze through the little gap. Athens was interesting in so far as the pure number of ships all trying to head to port. Arrival at Istanbul was around lunchtime, so again we were up on deck at the front - never know head wind like it, but a perfect view of the Blue Mosque, Topkapi etc and all the minarets, which just happened to be calling people to prayer at the time we arrived - a magical experience.

Spend some time on the Galata Bridge - we enjoyed a beer watching the hundreds of boats all jostling their way through the narrow waterway - manic !:eek:

When we left we sailed down the Dardanalles Straights, passing Gallipoli and the monuments / memorials on the starboard side - the ship passed dead slow with a commentary througout - a moving moment.

Overall the Eastern Med is one of our favourite places - Enjoy !

As I remember reading about Gallipoli, most of the fighting was near landing sites on the Aegean, not Dardanelles.

We are doing a Celebrity Black Sea cruise in September and will be going through the Dardanelles and Bosporus. I will try to research this more thoroughly.

As I remember reading about Gallipoli, most of the fighting was near landing sites on the Aegean, not Dardanelles.

We are doing a Celebrity Black Sea cruise in September and will be going through the Dardanelles and Bosporus. I will try to research this more thoroughly.

So not my area of expertise. I'm just going by the commentary we were given when we passed by two years ago. You very well could be correct.

• 4 weeks later...

We are thinking about booking the same itinerary next year.

Rome, Italy

Sea Day

Katakolo, Greece

Pireaus, Greece

Izmir, Turkey

Sea Day

Sea Day

Naples, Italy

Rome, Italy

One of my concerns is the weather in February. I know it can vary, but it seems that the average highs in many of the ports at this time of year are only in the 40's and 50's.

What have your experiences been with these ports in January and February?

This makes me very excited but our stateroom is port side!!!!

This was because sailing pasr Stromboli on the Galaxy, it did pass Stromboil on that side!

Looks like I might be up on deck early! :)

Waking up the very 1st morning having left Rome the day before on our very 1st cruise DH opened the curtain to the balcony - "what can you see?" I asked - "Oh - a Volcano" he nonchalantly replied - so our 1st sight was that of Stomboli - WOW !:)

The remainder of our cruise was much like yours - our cabin was Starboard, not that this really mattered that much because much of the sights were seen from up on the decks or at the very front or back. Messina Straights was impressive watching all the other ships around all squeeze through the little gap. Athens was interesting in so far as the pure number of ships all trying to head to port. Arrival at Istanbul was around lunchtime, so again we were up on deck at the front - never know head wind like it, but a perfect view of the Blue Mosque, Topkapi etc and all the minarets, which just happened to be calling people to prayer at the time we arrived - a magical experience.

Spend some time on the Galata Bridge - we enjoyed a beer watching the hundreds of boats all jostling their way through the narrow waterway - manic !:eek:

When we left we sailed down the Dardanalles Straights, passing Gallipoli and the monuments / memorials on the starboard side - the ship passed dead slow with a commentary througout - a moving moment.

Overall the Eastern Med is one of our favourite places - Enjoy !

Archived