To get passports or not to get them? Also photo ids for minors?

Kristinemomof3

Clearly one doesn't HAVE to get them per NCL- for a Caribbean cruise however it says:To that end, NCL strongly recommends all guests to obtain a passport for their voyage on any NCL vessel.

So do we get them? We've been married for 18 years and this is the first we've ever gone outside the US together and I doubt we'll go anywhere else for at least another 10 years.

Also, if we don't get passports, it says A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 do not require a government-issued photo ID.

Should we get them anyway? My children are 11, 13 & 15.

So what to do, what to do?

When my daughter was 3, we got her a passport, and since then, have used it several times (cruises, registering in a new school). It may not be needed if we aren't flying from a foreign port, but it's nice to have a photo ID for her. The next time we renew hers, it'll be good for ten years.

Clearly one doesn't HAVE to get them per NCL- for a Caribbean cruise however it says:To that end, NCL strongly recommends all guests to obtain a passport for their voyage on any NCL vessel.

So do we get them? We've been married for 18 years and this is the first we've ever gone outside the US together and I doubt we'll go anywhere else for at least another 10 years.

Also, if we don't get passports, it says A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 do not require a government-issued photo ID.

Should we get them anyway? My children are 11, 13 & 15.

So what to do, what to do?

The answer depends on your willingness to take risks. We have sailed with DS(18) and DD(16) 9 times over the last 11 years with absolutely no problems or issues without passports. IMHO the risk of something happening that would require one is extremely small and is not insurmountable and it is not worth the cost to get them for our family. Over the last 11 years we have saved over $1000 by not getting passports for closed loop cruise travel that we did not need....Others feel differently and will not go out of the US without one. The choice is yours to make on a closed loop cruise. FWIW my children just sailed with their birth certificates when they were under 16.

Life may change. Who knows after this trip, something may happen and you'll find you'll need your passport regularly.

During the 80's I practically lived in 747's doing trans-Pacific flights. Renewed my passport in '89 and went no where for 10 years. Now I'm doing trans-Pacs again about every other year:cool:

Yes, get passports. For us it is just easier. We like having them just in case.

If you choose not to, most DMV (dept of motor vehicles) issue a state identification card. My niece got one when she was a minor so she had photo id when she flew down to see us on her own.

First few cruises we used BCs and DL. The DD's used state ID cards.

Felt safe to do so because it would have been easy to get home. We only cruised to Vancouver and Ensenada, lol.

We now have passports and it is so much easier. Sometimes we have had lines broken up by BC and passport. The passport only line goes much faster.

FWIW the kids having their passports made it easier for them to get their DL's.

I have sailed MANY times with just a Birth Certificate and Drivers License. I have never had a problem. I have just ordered a passport ONLY because I will be traveling to Europe this summer. The biggest reason for a passport is because you can’t fly into the US without one. If one of you gets injured or sick and requires hospitalization or if you just simply miss the ship in port, not having a passport will delay you being able to fly home. (The US Embassy will help you and you will not be “stuck” in a foreign country forever)

Last week a Carnival ship was delayed in Mexico because a scheduled repair took longer than planned. The cruise was extended by one day. Carnival offered to fly anyone home that didn’t want to stay onboard the extra day. Many people complained because Carnival would not fly them home without a passport.

Keep in mind when using a Birth Certificate:

- It must be a certified copy from the State. (Can NOT be a Xerox copy or “souvenir” hospital certificate.) There is some sort of official marking – a raised seal or watermark for example.

- For married females – a “paper trail” is RECOMMENDED if your name on Drivers License is different than Birth Certificate. I will honestly say I have NEVER been asked for the documents but I still carry my marriage license, divorce decree, and marriage license with me, just in case.

- A state issued photo ID (driver’s license, state ID card, military id) is required for everyone OVER the age of 16. (A school id will work for 16 and 17 yr. olds) The ID cannot be expired.

- When booking you cruise, spell your name EXACTLY as it appears on your photo ID.

Have a great cruise. And plan on getting addicted. (To cruising)

I'd say yes, it will only cost you $350 or so (fees, pictures, postage) every ten years for both of you. If you can afford to travel, you can afford a passport.

You never know what will happen in the next 10 years of your life. So many things can come up, you never know. It's nice to have just in case.

First few cruises we used BCs and DL. The DD's used state ID cards.

Felt safe to do so because it would have been easy to get home. We only cruised to Vancouver and Ensenada, lol.

We now have passports and it is so much easier. Sometimes we have had lines broken up by BC and passport. The passport only line goes much faster.

FWIW the kids having their passports made it easier for them to get their DL's.

Now it is SO much easier to get back from dinner in Mexico with a passport than without one, we will renew even though we don't plan any more trips to Europe.

It also proves your citizenship and age, a problem my father had as the courthouse that held his birth certificate burned down long before modern storage devices for records; all their records were destroyed!

Archived