Dining: which nights in MDR and which in Sabatini's/Crown Grill?

BeachyBrowns

My wife and I are cruising on Princess (CB) for the first time next week, and I'm trying to determine where we'll eat on which days.

Our parameters:

• We'd like to eat in each of the specialty restaurants at least once.
  • We plan to eat dinner in Curacao off-ship, because we'll be there until 9:30 pm and will want to make the most of our time. (Input as to where to eat in Willemstad would be appreciated, too.)
  • Thursday is my birthday, and Princess knows this, but I don't know what Princess does for birthday boys, if anything, in the MDR or elsewhere.
  • I understand that there is a seafood buffet on sailaway night, so we planned to take advantage of that. (Tell me if I'm wrong about this.)

So, all you with experience on Princess, what would your suggestions be for days to consider eating in each spot?

You also need to decide if you are wanting to do formal nights in the MDR?

I was leaning toward doing formal nights in the MDR -- why get dressed up if you're not going to strut your stuff in front of the maximum number of people, right? -- but I had thought about the possibility of doing my birthday dinner at a specialty restaurant. What criteria should I consider when deciding MDR vs. specialty on formal nights? Any thoughts on that are appreciated.

For birthdays the b-day boy or girl gets a small cake & a gathering of wait staff to sing.

If (like me) this doesn't get your juices flowing, you might just find a special dessert at a restaurant.

The specialty restaurants & buffet do not require formal dress. We are leaving the suits at home on March 16 cruise on Emerald.

Steve

Don't eat in the Crown Grill the first night or, you will keep going back, and going back, and....:D

We do not "do" formal nights but dress in nice attire "after 5" on formal nights, if you are into dressing up, formal nights in the MDR is always a super fun experience.

We just finished our first Princess cruise and the food and service in Sabatini's and Crown Grill were unforgettable events. The service was great, did not feel rushed, and ate WAY TOO MUCH!

I can't recall the menus each night... however we went to Sabatinis Tuesday night and Crown Wednesday night. Thursday's menu in the MDR was not anything special I recall (beef wellington if you like that, otherwise a chicken dish). Loved Crown Grill and Sabatini's... unfortunately the MDR was not even in the same league. OMG, so much good food (great really) at these two restaurants - well worth the money!

My wife and I are cruising on Princess (CB) for the first time next week, and I'm trying to determine where we'll eat on which days.

Our parameters:

• We'd like to eat in each of the specialty restaurants at least once.
  • We plan to eat dinner in Curacao off-ship, because we'll be there until 9:30 pm and will want to make the most of our time. (Input as to where to eat in Willemstad would be appreciated, too.)http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=73
  • Thursday is my birthday, and Princess knows this, but I don't know what Princess does for birthday boys, if anything, in the MDR or elsewhere.
  • I understand that there is a seafood buffet on sailaway night, so we planned to take advantage of that. (Tell me if I'm wrong about this.)

So, all you with experience on Princess, what would your suggestions be for days to consider eating in each spot?

Generally formal nights will be on the 2nd & the next to last night & have some of their best food on those nights which may vary depending whether you're in port or at sea.

Many times I have late traditional dining and to get to bed earlier the night before disembarkation we have dined early at one of especially restaurants particularly at the Crown Grill on the final night when the menu in the MDR generally isn't anything special.

If your cabin steward knows that it's your birthday they should put sign with a couple balloons on your cabin door in addition to the small (it's enough for me) cake that they present to you while singing happy birthday in the main dining room.

It's been a long time since I've had a seafood sailaway buffet but maybe others have had it.

Just sailed the CB over Christmas. There is no more seafood buffet on embarkation night, so no need to worry about missing it. The formal nights were Monday and Thursday night, so that will take care of your birthday night.

Personally, I have always found the Chef's dinner night (Wednesday) and especially the final night to be pretty unappealing menu-wise, so either of those would be a good bet for specialty restaurants. I agree with the other posters - the Crown Grill is a highlight and not to be missed. Be sure to make your reservations shortly after boarding - we were shut out on our cruise and it was a major disappointment.

Just sailed the CB over Christmas. There is no more seafood buffet on embarkation night, so no need to worry about missing it. The formal nights were Monday and Thursday night, so that will take care of your birthday night.

Personally, I have always found the Chef's dinner night (Wednesday) and especially the final night to be pretty unappealing menu-wise, so either of those would be a good bet for specialty restaurants. I agree with the other posters - the Crown Grill is a highlight and not to be missed. Be sure to make your reservations shortly after boarding - we were shut out on our cruise and it was a major disappointment.

This is our first cruise with Princess and I see you can't reserve either Specialty Restaurant prior to boarding. Can someone please advise us how best to make these reservations? By phone from the room? Guest services, which I'm going to guess is going to have a line down the hall on embarkation day? Or stop by the restaurants?

Thanks!

Jeff & Lanett

This is our first cruise with Princess and I see you can't reserve either Specialty Restaurant prior to boarding. Can someone please advise us how best to make these reservations? By phone from the room? Guest services, which I'm going to guess is going to have a line down the hall on embarkation day? Or stop by the restaurants?

Thanks!

Jeff & Lanett

During embarkation they will usually have a table set up in front of the Crown Grill and/or Sabatini's where you can make reservations. The other way is to call the DINE line from any phone onboard the ship.

I've always been able to get a reservation for the Crown Grill or Sabatini's even on the same day if not at our prefered time. However obviously that's not always the case based on Infi's experience. :(. Most times when I pass either specialty restaurant they've been practically empty so in general you shouldn't have a problem getting a reservation.

During embarkation they will usually have a table set up in front of the Crown Grill and/or Sabatini's where you can make reservations. The other way is to call the DINE line from any phone onboard the ship.

I've always been able to get a reservation for the Crown Grill or Sabatini's even on the same day if not at our prefered time. However obviously that's not always the case based on Infi's experience. :(

Astro - really appreciate this advice! Thanks! This is along the same lines, albeit slightly askew...with Celebrity, Carnival, and Royal, there was a 'lobster night' Any idea if Princess follows this practice? And, is that day standard? Or should I ask one of the servers in the MDR on embarkation day (I think that's our plan since my experience at the buffet on embarkation day is a lot like a root canal!:eek:)

Thanks again!

Jeff & Lanett

Astro - really appreciate this advice! Thanks! This is along the same lines, albeit slightly askew...with Celebrity, Carnival, and Royal, there was a 'lobster night' Any idea if Princess follows this practice? And, is that day standard? Or should I ask one of the servers in the MDR on embarkation day (I think that's our plan since my experience at the buffet on embarkation day is a lot like a root canal!:eek:)

Thanks again!

Jeff & Lanett

As I recall from our recent cruise they have a lobster & prawns entrée on the last formal night. On the same night they had Beef Wellington so I requested both entrées which our waiter happily provided for us.

Whenever I've reserved on embarkation day in person it's been a very simple process and didn't take much time on Princess.

When making a reservation in person for a specialty restaurant during embarkation they have been able to tell me what the theme is for the different nights of our cruise in the dining room. If they can't provide you with enough information then I'd think that your waiter, head waiter or the maître d' could provide you with that information.

Unfortunately the evening when they have the "surf & turf" entrée it's no longer lobster but shrimp with a small steak. However it was plenty of food for me & I've never left the dining room hungry! :D

Don't eat in the Crown Grill the first night or, you will keep going back, and going back, and....:D

We do not "do" formal nights but dress in nice attire "after 5" on formal nights, if you are into dressing up, formal nights in the MDR is always a super fun experience.

We just finished our first Princess cruise and the food and service in Sabatini's and Crown Grill were unforgettable events. The service was great, did not feel rushed, and ate WAY TOO MUCH!

We were on the Ruby, but everything else (including not doing formal nights) was the same as you. Best food and service EVER!!! (Crown Grill) :)

Thanks again!

Jeff & Lanett

One of the formal nights will be "lobster night". Don't quote me, but it's usually the first. However, the rubbery, small, lobster tails are often inedible. last time prawns were an alternative. They were huge, flavorful and perfectly cooked. I asked the HW the source. He replied that they are shipped in from the Far East.

Thanks for all the replies! I think I've got our dining schedule down:

• Saturday: Crown Grill (at our peril, I know, @SMerritt :D) as our "sailaway celebration"

• Sunday: MDR
  • Monday (formal): MDR
  • Tuesday: off ship in Curacao
  • Wednesday: Sabatini's
  • Thursday (formal, my birthday): MDR
  • Friday: Sabatini's/Crown Grill (whichever we liked better) as our "bon voyage banquet"

Thanks for all the replies! I think I've got our dining schedule down:

• Saturday: Crown Grill (at our peril, I know, @SMerritt :D) as our "sailaway celebration"

• Sunday: MDR
  • Monday (formal): MDR
  • Tuesday: off ship in Curacao
  • Wednesday: Sabatini's
  • Thursday (formal, my birthday): MDR
  • Friday: Sabatini's/Crown Grill (whichever we liked better) as our "bon voyage banquet"

If you are in traditional dining, for Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday evenings, be sure to let your waitstaff know you will not be there so they do not wait for you while others at your table are already seated.

If you are in traditional dining, for Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday evenings, be sure to let your waitstaff know you will not be there so they do not wait for you while others at your table are already seated.

Thanks for that reminder; we're doing Anytime Dining, so we won't have to worry about that.

I know this was not on your list so I hope you don`t mind this added option. If your stopping in Aruba I recommend you look into Passions on the Beach. Very romantic white linen dinner served on the beach. If reserved at sunset the view is amazing and to to be forgotten.

I believe dinner on the beach in Aruba would include a view of the ship sailing without you...:eek:

Unfortunately, Liz, you're right ... I wish we were doing the evening in Aruba and the day in Curacao, but alas, it's the other way 'round. (Actually, I don't really wish for anything different -- it's going to be a blast!)

Archived