Vegetarian in Blu?

junglejane

I tried doing a search on this and came up with nothing. We are booked in AQ for our upcoming Spring Break cruise on the Silhouette and are looking forward to experiencing Blu. In the last few months, my 16 year old DD has decided to eat vegetarian. She is probably not considered a "true" vegetarian because, for example, she will eat French Onion soup made with beef broth. Basically she doesn't like to see any animal flesh on her plate, I guess. She won't eat beef, chicken, pork or fish. (Her younger sister, on the other hand, would eat steak every night if she could.)

DD is pretty easygoing in the sense that she's happy to eat salads and appetizers if there's no vegetarian entrees in a restaurant. But I was wondering if anyone can report on eating vegetarian in Blu. (PS, she also has a nut allergy but I'm assuming we can work around that as we have on all our other cruises).

Yes, Blu is very accommodating to many different dietary needs. They have a vegetarian option every night, but they will also give you other options if you ask in advance. Additionally, since your daughter isn't a true vegetarian, there are many dishes that she can order with the meat removed. For example, my husband ordered some of the pasta dishes without the meat (i.e. - meatballs, shrimp, etc) and salads without bacon.

As for the nut allergy, I would definitely discuss that in advance!

I think that your daughter will enjoy wonderful vegetarian options, both at Blu and on the buffet for lunch. We were on the New Years cruise on the same ship. I follow a vegan diet, which is much more ingredient restricted than is a vegetarian diet and I had wonderful meals in Blu. The Maitre d'hotel and his assistant wore fabulous about meeting my preferences. Not only did I have fantastic dinners, but they in no way made a big deal out of accommodating me....no awkwardness at all!! They were consummate professionals. My husband enjoyed the selections on the regular Blu menu alot. I recommend that, on the first day, an hour or two before Blu opens, swing by Blu and see if the Maitre'd or Daniella (Assist MD) are at their podium and let them know that your daughter will request vegetarian meals. The had a separate vegetarian menu available. I think she will love the options and be able to enjoy her meals fully. I LOVED Blu. I also understand that vegetarian burgers are available at the burger grill, although I did not check this out myself

The maitre'D will actually stop by your table if you want to let you know what modifications they can do to that night's menu for you. After not dining in Blu for 5 consecutive nights because I just didn't like the menu compared to the MDR, I got a phone call in my room asking me to try them again. They are the most accommodating restaurant on the whole ship, even moreso than the specialty restaurants.

Archived