E737 and E736 - Island Princess - Lounge Noise?

vancouvergirl2010

I am thinking of booking E737 on the Island Princess for a 14 day Panama Canal Cruise. Does anyone have first hand experience in this cabin? I am curious about noise from the Universal Lounge. I like quiet mornings and waking up to Zoomba would not be agreeable! However, we really want an aft cabin…

• 4 weeks later...

heard no noise from the Universal Lounge.going though the locks in this cabin was the best got to touch the walls on the locks.only the last 4 cabins can.we went from la to fl sun was on balcony the first 5 days.only problem was the toilet sometimes it would not flush other time it took up to 1 hour or more to flush called maintenance 5 days before it was fixed.you will love it

heard no noise from the Universal Lounge.going though the locks in this cabin was the best got to touch the walls on the locks.only the last 4 cabins can.we went from la to fl sun was on balcony the first 5 days.only problem was the toilet sometimes it would not flush other time it took up to 1 hour or more to flush called maintenance 5 days before it was fixed.you will love it

Thank you so much for letting us know!

I am looking forward to touching the walls! And sitting in the sun.

And thanks for getting the toilet fixed for us :eek:

Edited by vancouvergirl2010

We were on the Island (14 day Panama Canal) in early Dec 2012, and had cabin E722. We have previously had cabins near the aft of Emerald deck on Princess, and enjoyed them. I like being near to the water. This one was the noisiest, by far. The early Zumba class was the worst (especially with the clock changes), but throughout the day you could always hear the bass from the lounge below. BUT.... we did enjoy the rear facing deck off the back of the ship, and our balcony while IN the canal. YMMV........

Sounds like it's a pretty great spot for experiencing the canal... we have E736 for our Panama cruise next year. So you can actually touch the canal walls? That's awesome!!

Questions... is the balcony smaller or the same size as the one beside it? It appears to be slightly smaller due to the curving glass... is that the case? What furniture was on the balcony - was it two regular charis and small table... or did it include "reclining" style chairs with ottomans and a larger table? Or something entirely different?

Thanks so much for your info. :)

Celine

We were on the Island (14 day Panama Canal) in early Dec 2012, and had cabin E722. We have previously had cabins near the aft of Emerald deck on Princess, and enjoyed them. I like being near to the water. This one was the noisiest, by far. The early Zumba class was the worst (especially with the clock changes), but throughout the day you could always hear the bass from the lounge below. BUT.... we did enjoy the rear facing deck off the back of the ship, and our balcony while IN the canal. YMMV........

It was the Zumba I was worried about. I am thinking that the aft cabin may actually be further aft than the stage below. Resulting in no bass sounds That's my hope anyway!

Sounds like it's a pretty great spot for experiencing the canal... we have E736 for our Panama cruise next year. So you can actually touch the canal walls? That's awesome!!

Questions... is the balcony smaller or the same size as the one beside it? It appears to be slightly smaller due to the curving glass... is that the case? What furniture was on the balcony - was it two regular charis and small table... or did it include "reclining" style chairs with ottomans and a larger table? Or something entirely different?

Celine

From the research I have done, the balcony seems to be a little smaller, yet still bigger than the balconies at the front of the ship.

A small word of caution about those two balconies nearest to the aft of the Emerald deck on the Island or Coral. They are directly adjacent to the public aft area, and you might have people peering onto your balcony when you least expect it. We became friends with the folks in the portside cabin on our cruise, and they said the balcony was NOT very private. In the photo below, the far rail ends where the private balcony rail begins.....

And yes..... you can definitely touch the canal walls! Below is a photos from my balcony looking back the above mentioned cabin.

844620506_DSCN2846(640x480).jpg.3c8f2af17cbc5fed0c1bbded771f43da.jpg

1251888036_DSCN3126(640x480).jpg.65e09bae9cc904d090c261b5acc6844b.jpg

Celine

it is smaller

A small word of caution about those two balconies nearest to the aft of the Emerald deck on the Island or Coral. They are directly adjacent to the public aft area, and you might have people peering onto your balcony when you least expect it. We became friends with the folks in the portside cabin on our cruise, and they said the balcony was NOT very private. In the photo below, the far rail ends where the private balcony rail begins.....

And yes..... you can definitely touch the canal walls! Below is a photos from my balcony looking back the above mentioned cabin.

yes there is a lot of people on canal day but not the other 13 days

we did not let it bother us at all

We are on the Emerald in E701 directly over Club Fusion and hear nothing at all!

I love these cabin, and the location. Hope this helps!

Nice to hear the music did not enter your cabin. I think the Emerald and Island have a different design. Many people state that they can hear the Universal Lounge music in the cabins above on the Island. It seems that the far aft cabin may be far enough aft to not hear the music. I hope so! I like to sleep in sometimes and a Zumba wake up call would not be welcome.

yes there is a lot of people on canal day but not the other 13 days

we did not let it bother us at all

We're not too worried about people peering at us on that day... it's not like we'll be sitting out there naked or anything. :p

As for furniture, any info on what is on that balcony? Thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is my experience of this cabin, from someone who spends a lot of time on their balcony -

* Amazing view to the side and aft! best on the ship I think!

* Daily visitors on the balcony - as other passengers can see you when they stand on the aft deck at the edge.

* We could touch the walls of the canal going through the locks! It was incredible! Only the last few balconies on our deck could do this.

* The only time we heard noise form the lounge below was during the Bayou show.

* This was the noisiest and most vibrating cabin we have ever had in regards to engine sounds. Initially I thought something was wrong. Sleeping was a challenge.

* When the ship went slow, there was no engine noise.

If you do not mind noise and vibration this is a great cabin.

We sailed on the Island Princess on a partial transit through the canal in December of 2012. We were in cabin E724. Zumba woke us up at about 9:00 a.m. on our at sea days. We were up earlier on port days, so it wasn't a problem. Bingo in the late morning was also a bit loud. The noise at night was usually finished by 10:00, although sometimes continued until 11:00. All in all, we loved the quietness of the back of the ship. The laundromat is close. The large open expanse in the back is great for photographs as you go through the locks. I"d recommend watching from the front as you go though the first set of locks. (Bring rain gear just in case and get there by 5:00 am.) then, retire to your balcony. It's great fun to be on your balcony as the guys driving the mules go by at eye level! For better overall photos, just step outside your room and a few steps away is the great back viewing area. There were only about six people there on our cruise. then, pop back onto your balcony to enjoy the rest of the transit.

It was a great experience and you'll also see a lot of the new construction and widening of the canal while you're there.

• 1 year later...
i don't know about noise but I am booked jan 23 in e737

from all our research it is a great cabin for going though the locks

I too am booked into room E737 on the Panama run aboard Island Princess. How did you find this room? Was there another room to your right as you peered out the ships aft ? Or maybe a public place or observation deck where someone could disturb your privacy? Thanks for any reply. Dan