Drinks Package Info and Experience

boxman266

Condidering a RCL crusie was am potentialy interested in the PI but these petty behaviors are a turn-off. Then they wonder why people smuggle liquor on board.

Also, I think it's unfair that both people in a cabin have to purachse it. My mother would be coming with me on the cruise and she is a diabetic and can not drink. I doubt they would make any provision for this. :mad:

In the FAQs on the package it clearly states that if one person in the cabin has a medical condition they are exempt from the "all over 21 must purchase" rule.

This package is very new to RC so the kinks are still being worked out. Why not give them a chance to get into the swing of things before criticizing too much? I do sail RC most often and am not thrilled with the package as it looks right now but holding off judgement until things calm down a bit and they figure out how to implement the package.

We purchased the PI Package on our 11 night Vision cruise on 12/24. All drinks up to $10.50 were included in the package, as was beer and house wine up to $6.75/glass. The house wine is Beringer's White Zin or, you guesses it..La Terra :( We didn't have any issues with slow bar service or any bartender not happy about the package. At the pool bar, I requested to have a double so i could avoid the small glasses and again this was not an issue. Overall we at least broke even, and I believe we even saved a bit of money.

We did tip the few bartenders we frequented often $20 per person at the end of the cruise, which we would have done anyway.

In the FAQs on the package it clearly states that if one person in the cabin has a medical condition they are exempt from the "all over 21 must purchase" rule.

This package is very new to RC so the kinks are still being worked out. Why not give them a chance to get into the swing of things before criticizing too much? I do sail RC most often and am not thrilled with the package as it looks right now but holding off judgement until things calm down a bit and they figure out how to implement the package.

The cruise I am considering is months away, so hopefully they will have worked all out the kinks out by then.

And thanks for letting me know that there is a provision excluding those with medical conditions.

Thank you for taking your time to explain all of this. I was afraid someone with knowledge, instead of speculation, would clarify that the wine included was very limited, and a poor wine at that. Too bad. If this was like X's package, with wine up to a certain price, I might buy it. Guess I'll keep buying drinks as I go and get what I actually want!

Agree!

It doesn't make sense to "exclude martini's". Just order a double vodka (or whatever liquor you want) straight up. Would they exclude that?

Yes, you can only purchase one drink at a time. Apparently above poster got a double???? I guess it depends on what bartender serving you.

I've purchased the soda package for my Feb. 11 cruise on RCCL. Do I have to carry the cup with me everywhere around the ship, or can I just go to a bar, show my sea pass and get a soda?

Mary Lou

SeaPass at the bar will work fine. However, you do need the cup to use any automated dispenser.

I'm sailing Saturday on the Indy. I was thrilled when I read that RCCL had added a unlimited beverage package, always purchase the premium on Celebrity. However after reading all the confusion and limitations(especially the exclusion of water/coffee) I'm thinking the convenience of not having to keep up with a stack of paper slips is not worth the trade off of discussion of whether martinis are or are not included. I've never had any bad service or attitude from any bartender on X due to them not getting a tip included in my drink. At the end of the week I often tip bartenders that took care of me, but they didn't know this during the week.

Maybe it's just a process of the crew getting used to this, X has had it for quite a while, maybe their staff wasn't thrilled at the beginning.

There should be a clear cut answer, and the easiest way to do this is to set a maximum amount per drink(this would help a great deal with wines by the glass).

After reading this, I think I will skip the package for the January cruise.

A price limit like on X would make it all easier. However, one of the best things about the RCL package was the big selection of drinks. Lots of 12 year old different Scotch, Grey Goose and I think all vodkas and rums were in.

It seemed to us ill thought out, but we enjoyed it.

Those worrying about measures shouldn't as they are very generously poured. Also often they didn't scan the sea pass and mostly only one card for all the drinks so don't think you will be cut off.

I was thinking about buying the package for our upcoming cruise but am having second thoughts. Although it is brand new and that is probably where the confusion comes, I'm not sure it will be worth it. It seems rather silly to allow a cocktail up to $10+ but beer only to $6.50 and terrible wine. And not to give me a $0.15 bottle of water to take with me off the ship? Plus they will give me a Grey Goose screwdriver but not a $3.50 mocha? Will they give me a Baileys and coffee?

Then the thought of them keeping track of your drinks and cutting you off? I know they can check to see how many I have had anyway without the PI package, but I am worried it will become somewhat like the Coke Freestyle machines that only allow you so much soda per hour. I saw an adult on our last cruise try to get soda from the machine and he had to wait another hour to get more in that cup.

To the OP: Thanks for sharing your experience. There seem to be lots of questions and speculation, but not too many first hand experiences out there yet.

As with many RCCL options, it appears rules seem to vary from ship to ship.

Initially, I thought it was too expensive to purchase for my husband and I.

But then we put pen to paper and figured it might not be a bad option afterall... since alcohol and internet are the only expenses we generate each cruise. Getting a drink package and an internet package would mean we would know how much our SeaPass bill will be.

Since we won't be cruising until May, I'm going to keep that decision pretty fluid - hoping the pkg gets better reviews, and better instituted across the company.

Hope you're listening RCCL!

Ann

Kind of sucks how they force all adults in same room to buy it. I'll be in a room with my 18 year old son, so I could buy it no problem, but my sister is in a room with our mother, mom was an alcoholic long ago, so we're not buying it for her, so that means my sister can't buy it. You'd think there'd be a way around that.

Kind of sucks how they force all adults in same room to buy it. I'll be in a room with my 18 year old son, so I could buy it no problem, but my sister is in a room with our mother, mom was an alcoholic long ago, so we're not buying it for her, so that means my sister can't buy it. You'd think there'd be a way around that.

Put your mom and son in the same room. Then you and your sister can buy it. Or am I missing something? That would be a way around it. You're not cheating the system.

Except my son won't want to room with grandma lol.

You can book it that way and switch once on board, or keep it as is and go to guest services to explain the situation. They have stated there are exceptions for those with medical conditions, etc. My guess is your sister would be able to purchase without mom getting it as well, it will just take a little extra effort.

You can book it that way and switch once on board, or keep it as is and go to guest services to explain the situation. They have stated there are exceptions for those with medical conditions, etc. My guess is your sister would be able to purchase without mom getting it as well, it will just take a little extra effort.

Thanks!

Loved the beverage packages on X (DH had the Premium Alcoholic & I had the Non-Alcoholic package) and was told (by a bartender there) that RCI has the same packages available on most ships. Also, another passenger told me he'd been on Majesty recently, had the premium drinks package, loved it, and that it was the same as on X.

So I was looking forward to that, as it's so nice to know ahead of time what we'll be spending and not need to check over each purchase to make sure we're not getting charged for things we didn't buy.

But it sounds like the PI may be more hassle than it's worth. I know we'd be very embarrassed if anyone were to tell us we'd had enough for the day. Not to mention, angry enough to never sail with them again. :o

From looking at their site, and what everyone is saying here, there is no equivalent of Celebrity's Classic OR Premium Non-Alcoholic Beverage Package, so that's a bummer.

I will keep watching this thread and hope to hear that others have had more positive experiences, and/or that RCI gets more in step with how X handles these prepaid packages. :)

I know that X and RCI are owned by the same people but management is different, but if X can get an alcohol package right, why can't they do the same on Royal?

Not including specialty coffees, actually telling people they have had enough, no water? Having been successfully implemented all these years on X, you'd think they could transfer it over to Royal with barely a glitch, yet they cannot.

I'm going with my mom and there is no way to get it since she does not drink at all. She doesn't even buy a soda card as she only gets maybe 1 or 2 cans a day maximum. Not what we would want.

Archived