Santos or Sao Paulo

wailea4me

Our ship docks in Santos.

which means you could have a very nice day at a nearby beach.

Is it worth it to make the trip to Sao Paulo. I've heard that Sao Paulo is quite the shopping destination. Is that true? Also is the traffic so bad to get there?

The traffic can be bad, sometimes very bad. (Locals can only drive at certain times of the week, depending on the numbers on their license plate.)

Shopping? No bargains, and the exchange is still not very good. There are upscale, famous big name stores, mostly in Jardins, yes.

There are few tourist sights. A few OK musuems, but not what a world city that size might have, and a couple of towers to see a view. Some fairly interesting neighborhoods to explore. Lots of highrise reidential and business buildings.

Worth it? Very subjective and entirely up to you.

Here are some ideas of what is possible in the city:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/03/13/travel/13hours-saopaulo.html?_r=0

http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/10/14/travel/14hours.html

After due consideration of the fact that I would have completed an 11 hour flight, 6 hour transit, 10 hour flight and crossed 10 time zones I booked at the Ceasar Park Sao paulo International in Guarulhos so as to avoid more travelling.

I was planning to get the hotel to organise something for me to get to Santos, however I was wondering what advice there is from CC members about transfers to Santos the next day.

Just back from a cruise which included Santos. We stayed in Santos - a very friendly place, good transportation. Not many "sights" but still worth a few hours. We toured the coffee exchange. Others enjoyed the swimming. We had just spent two and a half days in Rio after our flight

The ship's tour to Sao Paolo was several hours late coming back to Santos because of heavy fog (this was in early December). The ship delayed its departure from Santos by several hours.

We are living from Santos on a cruise. Is Santos a good place to stay overnight? Our alternative is to stay close to the airpot in Sao Paulo and drive next day to our cruise terminal.

Note that "the airport" GRU is well on the other (north) side of the city from Santos, adding to any traffic woes, so leave adequate time. Driving yourself is not recomended.

Note that "the airport" GRU is well on the other (north) side of the city from Santos, adding to any traffic woes, so leave adequate time. Driving yourself is not recomended.

Thanks for your answer. We have booked a hotel in Santos. Any ideas how much does a taxi from Guarulhos cost to Santos?

Archived