tipping questions

kat923

Can o' worms.

Short answer, yes, you can have them removed.

The tips are split among several people, including your room stewards, servers in the MDR, lido buffet workers, etc. The better question is why would you remove them (as in, what happened that is so bad that you would feel the need)?

We did that on one cruise, thinking it was a good idea, and we could just tip everyone as we encountered them. I wouldn't mess with it if I were you. It means that the people who count on those tips would have to see you personally or you would have to know to tip them.

We ended up going back and adding it back on at the end of our cruise. We just tip our steward and our dining staff/bartender, etc. additionally for good service. I know you may think you're saving money or that you'll divide it the way you want, but I think you're going to find that it's not worth the hassle, and the service is certainly worth the money (and then some!).

Sure you can.

5.80 goes to your dining team.

3.70 goes to your room steward.

This is per person per day.

They also take $2 per person per day to augment the salaries of non service personnel. This is anything from guest services to the entertainment.

Sure you can.

5.80 goes to your dining team.

3.70 goes to your room steward.

This is per person per day.

They also take $2 per person per day to augment the salaries of non service personnel. This is anything from guest services to the entertainment.

The $2 also includes the laundry people. Won't enjoy the cruise if your sheets are dirty.

We did that on one cruise, thinking it was a good idea, and we could just tip everyone as we encountered them. I wouldn't mess with it if I were you. It means that the people who count on those tips would have to see you personally or you would have to know to tip them.

We ended up going back and adding it back on at the end of our cruise. We just tip our steward and our dining staff/bartender, etc. additionally for good service. I know you may think you're saving money or that you'll divide it the way you want, but I think you're going to find that it's not worth the hassle, and the service is certainly worth the money (and then some!).

Thank you! :-)

can you have the tips removed from your bill and tip individuals based on service... who is the daily tipping fee divided amoung anyway?

I would not remove them unless you have a problem. You can remove them for just the dinning room or you room steward team. I did it once for our waiter & had our issue taken care of very quickly. Hope I never need to remove a tip again.

If the service is as expected, I think it's only right to leave the tips in place. If someone stands out for providing extra service, I always tip that person extra. Usually the cabin steward and dinner waiter but others also. I haven't ever taken off the auto-tip and if I had sub-standard service I would try to work it out through Guest Services or the department manager rather than remove the tip. Of course that would be available as a last resort if the problem couldn't be resolved.

Again with those who really dont get what a tip is. Lets just use a simple example of going to a restaurant. You only tip your SERVER? Why? Because they server you directly. All of you please dont hurt those behind the scenes people, get a grip. I bet no one of you go to Red Lobster and give a tip to the hostess that sat you, nor the dishwasher that made sure you had clean plates and silverware, and I pretty sure you didnt leave money in a jar for the staff that did the linens or floors or the for the customer service staff. Wait I also know you didnt ask the manager to give a few bucks to the entertainment. Think about it like that and then tell to worry about all those behind the scenes people..

Again with those who really dont get what a tip is. Lets just use a simple example of going to a restaurant. You only tip your SERVER? Why? Because they server you directly. All of you please dont hurt those behind the scenes people, get a grip. I bet no one of you go to Red Lobster and give a tip to the hostess that sat you, nor the dishwasher that made sure you had clean plates and silverware, and I pretty sure you didnt leave money in a jar for the staff that did the linens or floors or the for the customer service staff. Wait I also know you didnt ask the manager to give a few bucks to the entertainment. Think about it like that and then tell to worry about all those behind the scenes people..

You are exactly right. When I go to Red Lobster I don't tip ANY of the people you mentioned as they are getting paid a flat hourly. I DO however tip the waiter/waitress. I couldn't give a darn about the 'behind the scenes' people at Red Lobster. I tip based on service from the waiter. However, that is not the case on a cruise.

Guilt trip - fail.

Yes, you tip the server when you go to Red Lobster. He or she then takes money out of her pocket to pass on to the busboy, the bartender and the hostess, and yes, sometimes the dishwashers. So yes, you do tip those people indirectly. This is pretty much SOP in all restaurants....wait staff passes tips along to those who help them

Yes, you can take it off. You can also lower it or raise it. We left it as it was and then personally gave the steward a extra tip on the last night. He honestly made us feel like we were the only guests that he had to take care of. If we needed something he was right there with it.

Yes, you tip the server when you go to Red Lobster. He or she then takes money out of her pocket to pass on to the busboy, the bartender and the hostess, and yes, sometimes the dishwashers. So yes, you do tip those people indirectly. This is pretty much SOP in all restaurants....wait staff passes tips along to those who help them

Exactly.

Really? Where does the money for the meal and drinks go?

In my parts, if a server was told his tips had to go elsewhere, he'd go elsewhere as well.

Exactly. Those "behind the scene people" don't get server wages. They get an actual salary, and are hired at that actual salary. And by law, they can't even be paid server wages, although, in 4 states, even servers HAVE to be paid minimum wage.

In my parts, if a server was told his tips had to go elsewhere, he'd go elsewhere as well.

Tipping out is pretty standard in the service industry. But as I always say- I leave my tip and don't worry about who gets what. Same with the tips onboard.

The extra $2 gets divided between various behind-the-scenes-people.

Actually, no. It's just put in the pipeline to pay their salary. It doesn't go up or down based on the tips. It's a fixed amount agreed upon at the point of hiring.

All the $2 is is to help Carnival pay that salary, taking it from you as a tip instead of a fare, for creative bookkeeping.

The only people that actually receive tips are the waitstaff and the stewards. Bartenders as well, from a separate process.

Tipping out is pretty standard in the service industry. But as I always say- I leave my tip and don't worry about who gets what. Same with the tips onboard.

Exactly. There are many here that when the auto tip was put in place, it actually became a convenience. I am one of them.

I even engage it on other lines that offer it as an option.

OT

Just for your info;)

Have worked for Red Lobster for over 22yrs.

We HAVE TO TIP OUT 4% of our sales (not tips), split between......

Bartenders....whether we they did or didn't make drinks for our guests.

Busboys....whether they did or didn't maintain the tables.

Food runners, $7 per shift.

Server assistances, who help refill drinks and so force.

This is the standard of operation in all restaurants in the Darden chain.

So if ALL our guests tip out 20% (never happens) of a $100 check ($20)

The server gets only $8 to $9 of that $20.

This I speak of this I know;)

Exactly. Those "behind the scene people" don't get server wages. They get an actual salary, and are hired at that actual salary. And by law, they can't even be paid server wages, although, in 4 states, even servers HAVE to be paid minimum wage.

where i am from the server tips his busboys the host who sits good people at his stations and an assistant waiter if he has one. this ensures that these behind the scenes people help him keep his customers happy. now restaurants that have waiters seat people bus their tables and pour their drinks, they probably keep their tips to themselves.

tips are funny things. i have never quite figured out why we tip some people and not others. its like why should i tip the guy who is working at the drive up window, or a hairdresser who sets her own fees, or a cab driver when i have no luggage, etc.

personally i just go with the flow on a cruise. if they have set what they consider a fair tip process i just pay what they bill me and let it go at that. i am sure the staff know what wages they are working for and who gets extra money out of the tip package. its much to confusing any other way, and since the only cash i carry is to tip the person who brings me room service (which i can easily avoid if i want to haul my fat butt up to the buffet) i just don't sweat tipping anymore.

OT

Just for your info;)

Have worked for Red Lobster for over 22yrs.

We HAVE TO TIP OUT 4% of our sales (not tips), split between......

Bartenders....whether we they did or didn't make drinks for our guests.

Busboys....whether they did or didn't maintain the tables.

Food runners, $7 per shift.

Server assistances, who help refill drinks and so force.

This is the standard of operation in all restaurants in the Darden chain.

So if ALL our guests tip out 20% (never happens) of a $100 check ($20)

The server gets only $8 to $9 of that $20.

This I speak of this I know;)

All fine. And not contesting what you do.

I would not take the job if the set up was anything less that me getting 100% of what I earned. I can bus my own tables and make more money.

I also know of places that just pool all the tips. That's another place I would avoid.

But all depends how the owners set up their establishment. Do they raise the prices of food to pay for more employees, or do they build in a web tip structure to try to keep the prices down. Their choice.

the point is, i think, is that none of us really know the wage/tip payment structure on a cruise line. we can best guess based on our knowledge of a myriad of other examples but unless we receive a check from carnival for being on their shipboard staff we don't know. all i know is that carnival suggest i tip x amount of dollars and provides me a way to do it. good enough for me.

All fine. And not contesting what you do.

I would not take the job if the set up was anything less that me getting 100% of what I earned. I can bus my own tables and make more money.

I also know of places that just pool all the tips. That's another place I would avoid.

But all depends how the owners set up their establishment. Do they raise the prices of food to pay for more employees, or do they build in a web tip structure to try to keep the prices down. Their choice.

I agree with you, as this was not the case when I first started with the company.

Was optional for the servers to tip out if they felt they were a great help.

Not anymore, ..... Ah the joy of working in the industry:p

Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread:(

Back to the topic......

Archived