Recomend an inexpensive snorkle set?

wyaracing

Looking for an inexpensive snorkle set that I can order online for my wife and I before our Bahamas cruise in a few weeks. I've seen a few good looking sets on Amazon, but am unsure of which brands are decent?

Looking to spend somewhere around $50 for each set including fins if possible. They won't be used too much after this cruise, but will keep us from renting the expensive germ filled sets on the islands.

Any recomendations?

Just picked up a couple sets for the wife and I from Costco.

U.S. Divers set with mask, snorkle, fins, and carrying bag for $40! Considering they get $29 to rent on Coco Cay, I thought it was worth the extra $11 just so I didn't have to put a used snorkle in my mouth!

Kids sets were only $25 too!

Just picked up a couple sets for the wife and I from Costco.

U.S. Divers set with mask, snorkle, fins, and carrying bag for $40! Considering they get $29 to rent on Coco Cay, I thought it was worth the extra $11 just so I didn't have to put a used snorkle in my mouth!

Kids sets were only $25 too!

When were these put out, do you know? We see them every year - but haven't seen them yet at our Texas stores. Anxiously awaiting!

When were these put out, do you know? We see them every year - but haven't seen them yet at our Texas stores. Anxiously awaiting!

I also have the Costco set and they have worked well. You may try to order online through Costco if you don't see them in your store. Ours came out in the late winter (Feb) when I purchased mine.

Don't order online. What makes a snorkel set "good" is that the mask fits perfectly and the fins are comfortable, but fit closely enough so that they won't fall off. Buy from a shop that will allow you to try them on first. To determine whether the mask fits, place it on your face without the strap and breathe in through your nose. Then hold your breath for a few moments. If the mask stays in place, it fits. If it falls off, look for a different one.

They are in Texas stores but not in the middle section yet - on the side, over by automotive and other sporting stuff. I was looking for where they usually have all the summer stuff, but we are just getting spring gardening stuff out.

Bought - we'll try them on and see how well they work but they HAVE to be better than rentals!

Don't order online. What makes a snorkel set "good" is that the mask fits perfectly and the fins are comfortable, but fit closely enough so that they won't fall off. Buy from a shop that will allow you to try them on first. To determine whether the mask fits, place it on your face without the strap and breathe in through your nose. Then hold your breath for a few moments. If the mask stays in place, it fits. If it falls off, look for a different one.

I totally agree. You are so much better off going to a local dive shop, getting a mask that fits correctly, than just buying cheap junk from Costco/Wal-Mart/Online. The difference between a great snorkeling experience and a miserable time in the water is the fit of the gear.

Another piece of gear that is highly underrated is a good snorkel. Get one that has a comfortable mouthpiece and preferably a large bore. (the diameter of the tube) This will make the snorkel easier to breath through. If you are a beginner snorkeler I recommend the "dry" snorkels, as they will keep water out if a wave washes over you.

You can get good fitting gear at a reasonable price, and if you take care of it it will last. My current gear is almost 10 years old and still looks and works like it was nearly new, and I use it a lot. I am a Rescue Diver and I volunteer as a diver at a local aquarium so they see a lot of use. If you take care of it they will last you for years.

I always wonder

do people post looking for

inexpensive ski's and boots?

I figure not breaking a leg would be important

what about drowning?

Expensive ski's and boots are not going to prevent you from breaking a leg, just like expensive snorkel gear will not prevent you from drowning.

I am a very strong swimmer, yet I just picked up snorkel gear at Costco and have had great luck. If I was able to snorkel several times a year I'd be looking for a higher quality mask and snorkel but snorkeling only a few times every other year, I'm not willing to spend that kind of money. Just saying you don't have to pay top dollar to have decent gear.

Looking for an inexpensive snorkle set that I can order online for my wife and I before our Bahamas cruise in a few weeks. I've seen a few good looking sets on Amazon, but am unsure of which brands are decent?

Looking to spend somewhere around $50 for each set including fins if possible. They won't be used too much after this cruise, but will keep us from renting the expensive germ filled sets on the islands.

Any recomendations?

Hi ...my DH and I just bought some online at snorkel mart....there is also a 10% coupon code available.....we got two 100% dry snorkles[that dont let the water in your snorkel]....two PRESCRIPTION googles...so we can see....two sets of long silcone fins for extra power..straps for masks...and a net bag with two pockets that is large enough to hold 4 sets of snorkel gear and towels with extra room...it has a draw string closeure.....buying the "buddy pack" instead of separate saved us $104.00.......it is $99.00 for all including PRESCRIPTION LENSES IN YOUR GOGGLES.....$116.00 WITH TAX AND SHIPPING:)

Expensive ski's and boots are not going to prevent you from breaking a leg, just like expensive snorkel gear will not prevent you from drowning.

I was thinking more along the line of cheap bindings that might be too loose and release too easily, or too tight and not release when they should ... even without getting hurt they can sure cut into the 'fun' quotient as would poorly fitting boots .. and you are right an expensive binding can still be improperly adjusted or maintained.

and a cheap mask that floods, a cheap snorkel causing water to be inhaled by an inexperienced user, or a fin starp the breaks while the swimmer has a way to go to get back to the boat: any of which causing panic or at a minimum so much insecurity that the person decides snorkeling ain't for them

good equipment does not necessarily mean expensive equipment. most of the time it means equipment that fits rather than a bag of stuff bought from the discount house. Sometimes one, especially a beginner, needs help finding the right fit while at the same time being steered away from items that are too advanced for their skill level. As I recall very long ski's might be on sale but are a poor choice for a beginner - ditto long stiff fins.

I only been on skies a handful of times but I alway had GREAT respect for the importance of the equipment working properly. And I've been an active snorkelor & diver for nearly 40 years during which time I've towed a few folks back to shore/boat after their panic attack from poorly fitting gear (both rented/loaned and purchased)

So in Colorado DO people buy ski's and boots at SAM's?

BTW - I saw a parachute at a great price at a pawn shop the other day . . .

• 3 weeks later...

So in Colorado DO people buy ski's and boots at SAM's?

BTW - I saw a parachute at a great price at a pawn shop the other day . . .

Yes, people even buy used ski equipment. People also go to the cheapest places possible to rent skis in Colorado. They sell more snowboards than skis at Costco and I have seen plenty of people buying them.

• 1 month later...

Walmart has a good travelers set for $29.95. The fins have straps so they fit more than one person. The mask and snorkel are OK for the casual once in a while snorkeler. We chose them to fit in a small back pack as we hike and bus to shore spots. Check out shorediving dot com.

I just noticed in the newsletter Undercurrent that there has been a recall on some US Divers snorkel sets sold at Costco and elsewhere. More info by googling I guess.........

I just noticed in the newsletter Undercurrent that there has been a recall on some US Divers snorkel sets sold at Costco and elsewhere. More info by googling I guess.........

I checked Undercurrent.org, could not find it. Do you have a link? Thanks.

My wife and I picked up a pair of U.S. Divers snorkeling sets from L.L.Bean, $70 each. The mask is low volume, clear silicone, and very comfortable. The snorkel has a purge valve and is easy to clear. The best part of the kit is the fins. They are shorter than normal, but are very flexible and provide plenty of power for snorkeling. Being shorter, they pack easily into a medium to large suitcase. The whole set comes in a bag with a shoulder strap. We've used this gear in a variety of conditions, and it doesn't disappoint.

This is an excellent set for the casual snorkeler. If you're thinking of taking up scuba in the near future, however, then definitely go to your local dive shop and look at gear that will take you toward your certification. Fair winds and good cruising!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived