Booking future cruise on board question

AndiandMike

Last November, my family went on the Caribbean Princess, and my parents did a future cruise booking. I was under the impression that this would allow them to book a cruise, at the lower depsosit rate of $100pp. When we just booked our upcoming November cruise, the cruise agency still took $300 from my parents to equal the $500 deposit. I don't understand what the benefit was of booking on board, if they still had to put down a higher deposit. Now I know they got some cruise credits, but I'm not sure how much. We always get balconies so it must be a little higher than the insides.

Any insight? Did I totally misunderstand the whole thing?

Andi

That's odd. Any time I've used open bookings, I've simply given my TA the booking number and received a reservation on the cruise I've requested. No other costs are needed. If the agency in question is requesting an additional deposit, is it fully refundable? Something doesn't seem cricket here.

Andi... the only thing I can think of is that your parents didn't give their TA their open booking #. Either that or the TA is not reputable. I'd do the following:

1. Check with the TA to make sure they checked with Princess and used the future cruise booking.

2. If they did use the future cruise booking, it's possible but very doubtful that their TA is unaware of what the future cruise booking is and how to apply it.

3. If they did use the future cruise booking and don't refund the $300, I'd change TAs. Charging additional is dishonest at worst and clueless at best.

It's easy to change TAs -- just call one you want to use and give them the booking #. They'll handle everything.

That's what I told my mom, that something was wrong with how that worked out. I wonder if she booked online instead of calling an agent, so there was no way that they knew she had an open booking. I must investigate more!

i usually use this service, i pay princess the 200.00 before i leave the ship which entitles me 50.00 pp ( 100.00 for hubby and me ) Balcony room only, for onboard credit, and the 200.00 comes off the amount due. NOT off deposit

you still pay your full deposit, but the 200.00 will come off the remainder, i have found out the hard way that this service winds up being a nuesance and i will not use it again, maybe its me but the 100.00 shipboard credit wasnt worth the aggrevation of trying to make the agen understand this and apply the appropriate credit. What a mess it was.

Hope u all have better luck than me!

i usually use this service, i pay princess the 200.00 before i leave the ship which entitles me 50.00 pp ( 100.00 for hubby and me ) Balcony room only, for onboard credit, and the 200.00 comes off the amount due. NOT off deposit

you still pay your full deposit, but the 200.00 will come off the remainder, i have found out the hard way that this service winds up being a nuesance and i will not use it again, maybe its me but the 100.00 shipboard credit wasnt worth the aggrevation of trying to make the agen understand this and apply the appropriate credit. What a mess it was.

Hope u all have better luck than me!

The $200 is the deposit on your future cruise, NOT the final amount due. That is one of the advantages of the future booking - in addition to the shipboard credit you only have to pay the reduced deposit.

i have found out the hard way that this service winds up being a nuesance and i will not use it again, maybe its me but the 100.00 shipboard credit wasnt worth the aggrevation of trying to make the agen understand this and apply the appropriate credit.

Give up on your agent, not the future bookings. It's one of the best things about cruising with Princess.

Give up on your agent, not the future bookings. It's one of the best things about cruising with Princess.

I agree - it should be as easy as your TA calling Princess for the reservation and telling them you made a future cruise deposit. :D

DH and I received yesterday an "emergency notification" from Princess regarding our January 28, 2006 booking on the Caribbean Princess. The "important information" is with regard to passport requirements for this voyage.

Our $200 deposit is indicated on the current statement, along with the $100 onboard credit. No further deposit is required, and final payment isn't due until November 14.

This is the way an onboard booking should work. I hope you can resolve your situation promptly.

Bon Voyage!

Chris

I agree with the others. If ANY TA is charging you more or creating a hassle with the future cruise booking, then notify Princess since they need to know which TAs are not complying with the onboard / future cruise booking, and then run, not walk, to a new TA. This should be an easy and seamless process with the TA and any TA not doing that is not worth getting your business.

When your TA looks up your Captain's Circle #, they can see the future cruise booking right there on the screen. There's NO excuse other than pure laziness for them not to credit the future cruise booking deposit of $100/pp towards your new booking. And they should never, ever, charge you an additional deposit.

Just curious, I'm taking a cruise in July. If I pre-book a cruise with Princess while on board, how long to I have before I have to a)book the next cruise and b) take the next cruise? It seems like a good deal if there isn't a short time requirement to book and take the cruise.

Thanks,

Ron

Just curious, I'm taking a cruise in July. If I pre-book a cruise with Princess while on board, how long to I have before I have to a)book the next cruise and b) take the next cruise? It seems like a good deal if there isn't a short time requirement to book and take the cruise.

Thanks,

Ron

I believe you have 4 years to use it! (And its refundable if you don't use it).

It is true that Princess has your money for up to four years. But then on the other hand, if you think you might want to go on a cruise, you can make the booking without laying out another penny until final deposit. To me, it's a wash whether Princess has my $100 for a few months (since I know I'm going to cruise in the next year) or if I book without the future cruise deposit, putting down a $300 - $500 deposit and then Princess has THAT money for the months before final payment. I'd rather they had the $100.

You don't have to cruise within 4 years of making the open booking, you just have to book a cruise within those four years. Since cruises are generally open for booking anywhere from 12-18 months before sailing, that gives you 5-6 years. It's a great deal, I think. I just applied mine toward a group cruise, and not only did I not have to come up with any deposit, but we are getting our $100 shipboard credit through Princess, as well as another $100 shipboard credit for being part of the group cruise.

Just so I understand, you have 4 years to book but you don't have to take the cruise within the 4 years, you can book it for 12-18 months out. What's the deal with the ship board credit? If you put $100.00 pp down, you get a $50.00 onboard credit? That sounds like a great deal, so your really only putting $50 pp down if the other is for onboard credit. How can you loose, especially if it's refundable. One more question please. Since my daughter will be traveling with us, would we just put down another $100 for her and get the same deal, or is it restricted to only 2 pax?

Thanks for the help.

Ron

I have a question about the future cruise bookings. We have 2 bookings, made on our last cruise. I have used one for a 10 day cruise next March. We just booked last week for a 15 day in Jan., using the other credit. Now, when I check the personalizer on Princess, I see that my Jan. cruise booking has been cancelled. I called Princess, and was told that I had to use both ($200) for that cruise, and since I didn't, it had been cancelled. I should mention that this Jan. cruise was booked through an agent, and the March was directly with Princess.

Does this sound right? The best answer the Princess rep I spoke with was that some cruises require 2 future cruise bookings, some require only one.

... What's the deal with the ship board credit? If you put $100.00 pp down, you get a $50.00 onboard credit? That sounds like a great deal, so your really only putting $50 pp down if the other is for onboard credit. How can you loose, especially if it's refundable. One more question please. Since my daughter will be traveling with us, would we just put down another $100 for her and get the same deal, or is it restricted to only 2 pax?

The OBC is limited to first 2PAX/cabin. The OBC/pp as of last week was:

Days/Inside/Outside

7-9 / $25 / $50

10-15 / $75 / $100

16+ /$125 / $150

Guest caribcruzin

MFH....

When you do a future cruise booking, you have to do one for each of you. So you can't just use one on a cruise you have to use two...one for each. So in order to do two cruises...you have to have 4 future cruises booked. If you booked 2 bookings at a total of $200 that is only enough for each of you for one cruise. One for you and one for whomever is traveling with you. I

The $200 is the deposit on your future cruise, NOT the final amount due. That is one of the advantages of the future booking - in addition to the shipboard credit you only have to pay the reduced deposit.

i am soooo confused!!!!! my 200.00 came off my remainder due????

I have a question about the future cruise bookings. We have 2 bookings, made on our last cruise. I have used one for a 10 day cruise next March. We just booked last week for a 15 day in Jan., using the other credit. Now, when I check the personalizer on Princess, I see that my Jan. cruise booking has been cancelled. I called Princess, and was told that I had to use both ($200) for that cruise, and since I didn't, it had been cancelled. I should mention that this Jan. cruise was booked through an agent, and the March was directly with Princess.

Does this sound right? The best answer the Princess rep I spoke with was that some cruises require 2 future cruise bookings, some require only one.

I have always been able to use just (1) $100 deposit to hold a cabin for (2) people and we have both gotten the shipboard credit. I know others who have also done this. Though, I think a lot of times it depends on who your agent speaks with. It was a Princess agent who told me to do it this way "and to save the other deposit for later". Since then, I have done this for many cruises.

Regardless - I don't think they should have cancelled the 2nd booking, after all, there is a deposit for at least one person in the cabin.

Thanks, Coral, that's what I was told when I made the first booking directly with Princess. However, I wasn't able to do that with the second cruise. I ended up cancelling the March booking and putting both on the January. I doubt we would have been able to do both so close together, and it was the only way we could both get the onboard credit.

If you are using a FCC that you piad $100 - (1 passenger only) when you book a cabin for 2 - you have to charge $100 for the 2nd pasenger in the cabin.... this is in addition to your $100 FCC ___Actually it comes out the same cost - but you are only advancing Princess $100 per FCC booking....Always works for me - I always keep 3 FCC's in my husband's name AND 3 FCC's in my name - in my "back pocket" READY and SET TO GO for any cruise booking that looks good........As I use one - I replace it!

and don't forget to request your "Share the wealth" Certificates - 1 for each FCC - you will be able to give to anyone cruising with you and they will get the same benefits - of course they will have to deposit $100 for each passenger upon booking.

Good luck! GotToCruise (aka Renee)

Archived