How good is the wine selection with drink package?

Beachdude

Hi All

We are new to Celebrity but I think we are going to do the drink packages. What I understand is there are two package choices, Classic and Premium. I'm thinking the Premium for me because while I only have a couple drinks a day, I prefer top-shelf quality. But we aren't sure about Sally. She doesn't buy a lot of drinks, but really enjoys good wine. Are the wines under the Classic package pretty good or would you suggest the Premium package. I know it is matter of personal taste but I would still enjoy your opinions.

Thanks a head for you opinions.

Thanks and Mahalo

Burt

...I'm thinking the Premium for me because while I only have a couple drinks a day, I prefer top-shelf quality. But we aren't sure about Sally. She doesn't buy a lot of drinks, but really enjoys good wine. ...

If you are not drinking a lot then I'd suggest you consider NOT purchasing any beverage package and instead just pay as you go.

First off, the beverage packages are expensive! They are priced above the average passenger's spending amount. Because of this they are best for cruisers who either drink above average quantities of the included beverages or who are willing to pay extra for an all inclusive experience.

Second, the wine selection with the packages is limited. The wines available under the classic package are very limited, and even the wines available under the premium package is a pretty small selection in comparison to the ship's great selection of bottled wine. If you're concerned about consuming an entire bottle of wine then keep in mind that your server in the dining rooms will store any unfinished wine for the next evening for you - this is very common on the ship.

Take a look at the following Cruise Critic thread which remains pretty current on the selection of wines by the glass and bottled wine on the ship. Keep in mind that the classic package is limited to wines by the glass priced at or under $8. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=32406318

If you are unsure what to do then you might consider taking a pass on purchasing a package for now and just paying as you go. You can always purchase a package after the start of the cruise at a pro-rated price if you decide once on board that a package would be best.

Archived