Hiking diamondhead

timetravler

How hard is it to hike diamond head? I have hiked vernal falls and Nevada falls and the 4 mile hike in Yosemite. So even though I am a bit chubby, I am pretty much "inshape". Also if you wear sturdy sandals for this hike is that do-able?

...you won't have a problem. The hike up Diamond Head is easier than Vernal and Nevada Falls (we live 1 1/2 hrs from Yosemite. Hiked up Diamond Head several times).

Just beyond the parking lot, the first part of the hike takes you through a cement pathway. As you climb, it becomes hardpan dirt and rocks with numerous switchbacks...a bit more difficult. It becomes steeper but stairs and handrails appear. Just before the top, you enter a dark area with circular steps (a flashlight really helps) up and out into open.

One of the most wonderful, beautiful, and if I may say...romantic views of Waikiki and surrounding areas. Note: Plan you hike; it is popular and cna get crowded at the top and along the path. Sturdy sandals...yes, doable. I hiked it once wearing Tevas. Don't forget your camera. Aloha! :)

How hard is it to hike diamond head? I have hiked vernal falls and Nevada falls and the 4 mile hike in Yosemite. So even though I am a bit chubby, I am pretty much "inshape". Also if you wear sturdy sandals for this hike is that do-able?

I would wear tennis or hiking shoes. A lot of different size rocks and gravel.

View from the top....

P1010335.jpg

P1010334.jpg

I hike Diamond Head every trip. It's an awesome hike. Anyone can do it. (I'm 52 and not an exercise enthusiast).

I agree, sandals are not a good idea, but I've seen them (as well as high heels and baby carriages -- don't recommend either).

Here is a VERY detailed description of the entire hike, complete with pictures.

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/hikediamondhead.html

I hike Diamond Head once. Nobody told me about the stairs at the end of the walk. It's been years since I've done this and heard that the path has been improved. My suggestions are: go early in the morning, bring water, wear good shoes, and dress in layers (short sleeves and long sleeves).

It was spectacular.

Renee (displaced local girl)

You are not chubby, your're still a hottie! Give us your reviews when you come back from your cruise.

If taking the bus, don't get off when Diamond Head Road is announced or else you'll need to walk another two stops. But you will still need to walk through the tunnel to the park entrance inside the crater unless you take a taxi.

Archived