1st Impression - Oceania - NOT SO GOOD (Resolved !)

goodvig

Now that our kids have grown - my husband and I have looked to cruise with smaller ships that offer a more upscale cruising environment than RCCL or Carnival...last year, we had two amazing cruises with Azamara. We loved the itineraries and the longer stay in ports and seriously looked at the Feb 3, 2013 Asia sailing on Azamara Journey...however what prompted us to book with Oceania (for the first time) was the opportunity to fly to Siem Reap from Sihanoukville to photograph Angkor Wat...

Imagine our disappointment when we get a call three weeks before embarkation that the Angkor Wat land program was cancelled - that's it - no discussion, no alternatives, just cancelled...who cares that it's past the cancellation time frame for the cruise - and the airlines...just sorry, it's cancelled. Really??!! What kind of customer service crap are we dealing with...

Then imagine my frustration when I receive the lastest brochure from Oceania advertising the 2014 Asia cruise with the Angkor Wat land discovery program...

Is this really how Oceania conducts business??!!

I'd be very unhappy too. This is one of the problems with any ship's excursions - they can be cancelled for a variety of reasons including not enough participation (there is usually warning of this posted) or a supplier has pulled out last minute or ... Just speculation that would not help you get there in an event.

Though not a lot of time but I would jump on the Roll Call and see if there are others who have arranged private travel and still have room, check CC Port of call section for suggestions on self-travel. I did a quick internet search and found a travel agent / touring company with Angkor in their name and a good looking website. While they might not have day trips such as you are looking for they may be able to point you to someone who can help with your plans

Not what you wanted I am sure but if you can make the arrangements I am sure it will be all the more memorable. Good luck!

Thx YoHoHo...

I did in fact look into other arrangements that I had heard about but the big problem now is that direct airfare is sold out and indirect (with one stop) cost starts at $1,300pp...include guide and two nights hotel and we are WAY above what the cruise line was offering it at...what I gather from the little info I was told by Oceania..."someone" responsible for the flights on this tour dropped the ball and they couldn't "secure" air transportation for this trip...meaning someone waited too long to book the airfare for this sold out excursion and it was going to cost too much to conduct this tour so they cancelled it...

Kind of lame...

Goodvig-

I'm learning about this right now from your thread.

This is not right, but if there is a way to make it right, we will.

Please call me tomorrow at 305-514-2301.

My apologies?

FDR

CEO

Oceania Cruises

Goodvig-

My apologies?

FDR

CEO

Oceania Cruises

While FDR may not be able to solve your excursion issue due to overwhelming logistic issues, you have to appreciate the level of customer service that "O" is capable of and willing to provide! KUDOS

While FDR may not be able to solve your excursion issue due to overwhelming logistic issues, you have to appreciate the level of customer service that "O" is capable of and willing to provide! KUDOS

Absolutely! We were on the original maiden voyage of the Riviera last year. It had to be rescheduled twice due to a shipyard strike where the ship was being built-------not Oceania's fault at all. They did everything they possibly could to make up for it. They were more than fair as far as we were concerned. Wonderfully managed cruise line!

Goodvig-

My apologies?

FDR

CEO

Oceania Cruises

We have not yet had the pleasure of experiencing Oceania, but I am very impressed with the fact Mr. Del Rio is monitoring this forum. Hopefully this will end up with a "win-win" result....new and loyal passengers, and a successful service business.

I have booked consecutive cruises on Marina next year, but have yet to sail on Oceania despite my wife and I having cruised 16 times on so called "luxury"lines.

Mr Del Rio's impressive and timely response certainly gives me a lot of confidence that we are on the right track.

And it goes a long way in explaining Oceania's success and growth in a very competitive market.

Rob

Mr. Del Rio is known for his proactive management and his wanting to make sure that Oceania is doing things right.

A couple of years ago, my family had an issue with one of Oceania's "best" agents where the agent did not follow through on promises. Mr. Del Rio stepped in and made things right.

His personal involvement is what makes Oceania the great line that it is.

I have to disagree with the poster in that Oceania do do things correctly. I do hope that the poster Goodvig does respond to Mr Del Rio's very kind offer to give him a ring. Let us hope that they do and things are sorted to everyones satisfaction.

I have only done one Riviera cruise last year but have two more booked for this year and I do belive that we will enjoy our next two like the last.

Thank you Oceania and staff.

I have to disagree with the poster in that Oceania do do things correctly. I did notice that the poster Goodvig has not responded to Mr Del Rio's very kind offer to give him a ring. Let us hope that they do and things are sorted to everyones satisfaction.

I have only done one Riviera cruise last year but have two more booked for this year and I do belive that we will enjoy our next two like the last.

Thank you Oceania and staff.

Really?? Have you had Oceania cancel a land excursion on you three weeks before sailing? So according to you that is doing things right? Also, I don't remember you calling me at home and asking me if I'd taken FDR up on his request that I contact him...if you read his response he didn't ask me to repy to his post - he asked me to contact him via phone...which I have...left a message for him...but thanks for judging me without ever haven spoken a word to me before...

I look forward to hearing back from him when has has a chance with maybe a more concrete answer as to why this wonderful opportunity won't take place...in the meantime...maybe you can put off judging others until you have all the facts.

Now that our kids have grown - my husband and I have looked to cruise with smaller ships that offer a more upscale cruising environment than RCCL or Carnival...last year, we had two amazing cruises with Azamara. We loved the itineraries and the longer stay in ports and seriously looked at the Feb 3, 2013 Asia sailing on Azamara Journey...however what prompted us to book with Oceania (for the first time) was the opportunity to fly to Siem Reap from Sihanoukville to photograph Angkor Wat...

Imagine our disappointment when we get a call three weeks before embarkation that the Angkor Wat land program was cancelled - that's it - no discussion, no alternatives, just cancelled...who cares that it's past the cancellation time frame for the cruise - and the airlines...just sorry, it's cancelled. Really??!! What kind of customer service crap are we dealing with...

Then imagine my frustration when I receive the lastest brochure from Oceania advertising the 2014 Asia cruise with the Angkor Wat land discovery program...

Is this really how Oceania conducts business??!!

On our last European cruise there were 2 ports cancelled while on the cruise...disappointed..we were also looking forward to them (having organized private tours, deposits etc..)...but 'things' happen. As it turned out our plan B was great. I would check your Roll Call...could be others planning an alternative you haven't considered ..there might still be some way to make it happen. Your cruise itinerary looks great, enjoy.

C'est la Vie

Goodvig- glad you called.

But, I left the office early today (think flu bug has hit me) so didn't see your message.

I will return the call on tuesday (holiday on Monday) but think I have good news for you.

Plan on going to AW!

FDR

Goodvig- glad you called.

But, I left the office early today (think flu bug has hit me) so didn't see your message.

I will return the call on tuesday (holiday on Monday) but think I have good news for you.

Plan on going to AW!

FDR

FDR,

I am so sorry to hear you are down with the flu...feel better soon. I look forward to hearing from you next week but just know that your responsiveness to this issue is truly amazing and I'm so very impressed that you care enough to listen to your customers.

I believe that customer service seems to be on a critical decline in our society and I'm thrilled that I've found a company that takes it so seriously...never would I have believed that my posting would garner a response from the CEO...

Again, thank you for your attention to this matter but more importantly to the attention you give everyone on this forum...

Cheers!

OP please keep us posted on your resolution to the AW problem. You were right to be outraged as AW would be reason enough to book the cruise. I am taking my family on our first Oceania cruise this Xmas (have cruised SS & Regent in the past). Mr. FDR's initial response to you is quite extraordinary. If this works out for you due to his intervention I'am going to be very impressed and delighted with my choice to try Oceania.

In the past FDR A.K.A "THE BOSS" has pulled many rabbits out of his magic hat

I am never surprised anymore (well sometimes ) at the miracles he pulls off :D

If he says he will do something you can be sure he will if it is within his power

Lyn

Yes please do keep us posted. I too have to say I am very impressed with FDR's response and involvement and hope this all works out for you and you get the excursion you so much wanted. Good luck and have a great cruise.,

We have only sailed O once, most of our cruises in the past few years have been Regent, but I really would like to try them again soon, especially on one of the new ships

We are just back from a 37 day cruise and part way through each segment, we filled in our "mid cruise" comment card. We were pleased with the results of our comments - we were contacted and the issues were dealt with to our satisfaction. We were really pleased to see that they actually read the comment cards and they talk to you about any issues you are having. Great customer service. So it isn't just Mr. Del Rio who listens!

We are just back from a 37 day cruise and part way through each segment, we filled in our "mid cruise" comment card. We were pleased with the results of our comments - we were contacted and the issues were dealt with to our satisfaction. We were really pleased to see that they actually read the comment cards and they talk to you about any issues you are having. Great customer service. So it isn't just Mr. Del Rio who listens!

LIKELY it is because of Mr. Del Rio that they listen, BY EXAMPLE!

Archived