Roll Call: Celebrity Solstice Transpacific Sydney to Honolulu 04-11-2014

World Member

I thought it was about to turn into a fist fight! Ugh, keep me out of that stuff. And they think we are drama queens, ha! We booked a studio in Darlinghurst between our two cruises, the March 22nd Auckland to Sydney and then the April 11th trans pacific. Sherri email on the way.

Jeff

Jeff, the April 2013 Millennium Asia cruise always referenced had a Roll Call that went much the same way with the same individuals, plus a 2nd set of equally obnoxious and controlling drama-meisters, so much so that I cancelled that cruise for fear of being stuck on a ship with that lot for three weeks. :eek: Ugh! :eek:

Edited by ThursdaysChild

:::cross-posted from Drama Central:::

Hi James/DingoBoy/Vicky !

First of all, what a truly FABULOUS way to celebrate your 50th! We'll have to raise a few glasses at the Martini Bar in your honor.

I'm going back and reading from February, where I last left off and found the post below about having a "big old Aussie BBQ" the day or evening before we set sail. Anything further on this? Because I would be all in for this!

Thanks for your insights and advice; can't wait to meet you and your posse!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dingoboy

G'day all,

As this is my 50th birthday extravaganza I'm determined to make it as special as possible.

So I'm happy to put my hand up and organise a few little events.

All my mates call me Vicky from the love boat (rather dis-respectively I might add) simply because I'm always organising stuff - especially on a cruise - It's just the way I roll - Although it appears we are lucky enough to have a 'real life' Vicky who is hard at work organising all the fabulous day trips. (THANKS VICKY!!!! )

So these are a few things I'm considering - we'll need to start a list, just hit reply and tell me what you're interested in, and I'm happy to collate it all in one place - eg Our cruise map.

1/ Big old Aussie BBQ.

It's a long way off and the idea might evolve (or devolve into simply being a room party with cocktails at sunset) - but at this stage I'm thinking about organising some sort of BBQ in Sydney the afternoon or night prior to departure.

Sydney has some amazing roof top spaces that we'd be able to reserve with stunning views of the harbour, bridge and opera house or it could be at one of the many beautiful public BBQs on the foreshore.

2/ A wrap party in Hawaii - the night we are in port - at a groovy little bar like the Tiki Bar and Grill or Dukes on the beach.

3/ A cabin crawl one of the first days at sea.

4/ A gift exchange - might try to do something with a twist here.

5/ A pub crawl on board

6/ A list of cabins that I can add to a map of the ship so we nknow who our neighbours are.

Anyways let me know what you are interested in

James

Any suggestions for a centrally located Sydney Hotel for this solo traveler? I get in the morning of the 9th. Any suggestions on how a young 60-ish Jersey Girl can maximize her 2.5 days in Sydney? I have some health issue that make extensive fast-paced walking or stair climbing difficult, but I can stroll to window shop or bar hop with the best of 'em.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

(And happy to find the non-headache-inducing Roll Call for this cruise.)

Hi Liesa,

Was laughing at your description of yourself because it reminds me of me! LOL! Am up for a good stroll but no hiking, please!

I also arrive on the morning of the 9th (like to have at least one hand in hand for airport screw-ups, particularly at that time of year!). Which flight are you coming in on? I was just in Sydney for several days in January and stayed at the Radisson Blu. It's very near to Circular Quay which is where the ship docks, The Rocks area (historic area), the Opera House, etc. Enjoyed the hotel and so have re-booked it for this trip too.

Getting the Aussie visa is easy as it's all done in line. Issued immediately so can be done right before the trip. All they want is your passport info and a credit card!

Going on the tall ship cruise in the Bay of Islands-----just because I've sailed a lot but never on a tall ship before!! Not sure re. Auckland. Was there in January too and loved the tour I went on then so may just repeat it! Booked with lilyloveselvis for the Bora Bora lagoon cruise which is highly recommended. No plans for Moorea or Papeete yet. Staying on in Waikiki for 2 nights after the cruise then 5 on Kauai (my favourite Hawaiian island), then 2 weeks back home before I go to Morocco!! LOL!

Diane

Don't know if I was on the original Roll Call but if not, here are my details:

1/ Screen name - ThursdaysChild

2/ deck - cabin number if known - 1538

3/ names of people in cabin - Liesa (pronounced "leeza")

4/ where you live - New Jersey, US

5/ early, late or select dining-Blu

I was hoping to have my brother and brother-in-law join me on this voyage, but they and another couple they travel with decided to go back to Italy for that May. Alas, I'll need to find some other Martini Bar afficionados to help me keep the bar hopping!

I just booked airfare today, and feel pretty good about the pricing and the relatively small number of miles I had to use for First and Business First upgrades. For me, the trip becomes real when the airfare is paid! Now I need to start to look into getting a visa and finding private tours to jump into or start.

Any suggestions for a centrally located Sydney Hotel for this solo traveler? I get in the morning of the 9th. Any suggestions on how a young 60-ish Jersey Girl can maximize her 2.5 days in Sydney? I have some health issue that make extensive fast-paced walking or stair climbing difficult, but I can stroll to window shop or bar hop with the best of 'em.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

(And happy to find the non-headache-inducing Roll Call for this cruise.)

Welcome Liesa,

I am travelling with my two sons and with teens club I will be left on my own.

So if you would like to ever catch up for a chat or join me for trivia, lunch or just don't feel like being on your own let me know.

Lillyloveselvis

:::cross-posted from Drama Central:::

Hi James/DingoBoy/Vicky !

First of all, what a truly FABULOUS way to celebrate your 50th! We'll have to raise a few glasses at the Martini Bar in your honor.

I'm going back and reading from February, where I last left off and found the post below about having a "big old Aussie BBQ" the day or evening before we set sail. Anything further on this? Because I would be all in for this!

Thanks for your insights and advice; can't wait to meet you and your posse!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dingoboy

G'day all,

As this is my 50th birthday extravaganza I'm determined to make it as special as possible.

So I'm happy to put my hand up and organise a few little events.

All my mates call me Vicky from the love boat (rather dis-respectively I might add) simply because I'm always organising stuff - especially on a cruise - It's just the way I roll - Although it appears we are lucky enough to have a 'real life' Vicky who is hard at work organising all the fabulous day trips. (THANKS VICKY!!!! )

So these are a few things I'm considering - we'll need to start a list, just hit reply and tell me what you're interested in, and I'm happy to collate it all in one place - eg Our cruise map.

1/ Big old Aussie BBQ.

It's a long way off and the idea might evolve (or devolve into simply being a room party with cocktails at sunset) - but at this stage I'm thinking about organising some sort of BBQ in Sydney the afternoon or night prior to departure.

Sydney has some amazing roof top spaces that we'd be able to reserve with stunning views of the harbour, bridge and opera house or it could be at one of the many beautiful public BBQs on the foreshore.

2/ A wrap party in Hawaii - the night we are in port - at a groovy little bar like the Tiki Bar and Grill or Dukes on the beach.

3/ A cabin crawl one of the first days at sea.

4/ A gift exchange - might try to do something with a twist here.

5/ A pub crawl on board

6/ A list of cabins that I can add to a map of the ship so we nknow who our neighbours are.

Anyways let me know what you are interested in

James

Hi,

I am also turning 50 on the cruise, count me in for the ships plans, won't arrive in Sydney until day of departure so will miss the BBQ. What information will you need besides name and cabin number? Will get back with cabin details.

Lillyloveselvis

Private Auckland West Coast Full Day Tour

09:00 to 17:00 or to adjust for our cruise ship time requirements

In January I did the Solstice's NZ to Australia trip and while in Auckland I did a half-day tour with a company highly recommended by local friends. Boy, were they right! Had an excellent tour.

I just contacted them again to see if another great tour can be arranged and they suggested the following (gorgeous areas!). This would be a small group, just Solsticers, so we could modify it as the day goes if necessary and be able to stop wherever we want for those all-important photos!

Here's the suggestion:

"Experience the famous Waitakere Ranges on Auckland’s West Coast on a very personal tour with multi award-winning global tourism award winner TIME Unlimited Tours. Be amazed by Auckland's famous West Coast with its subtropical rainforest, soaring cliffs, roaring surf and stunning black sand beaches. Walk along the deserted shore, with the sound of the sea in your ears, the wind in your hair and the salt spray on your face. Keep away from the masses and try this multi award-winning tour just for your group on a Private Tour! Includes transport to and from your cruise ship, as well as snacks and hot/cold drinks.

After pick-up from your cruise ship, drive to the West, leaving behind beautiful Auckland surprisingly quickly as you pass through Titirangi, which translates to "Fringe of Heaven" in the local Maori language. Titirangi has several nice cafes and bakeries, which the locals love to spend time in. Then enter the beautiful native rainforest that is the Waitakere Ranges, made famous by many movies that have been filmed here. Oscar-winning movie "The Piano" is a good example. As you drive through lush subtropical rainforest, learn about the local Flora and Fauna that inhabit these ranges.

We drive towards the West Coast and reach it in form of what is often referred to as one of the most beautiful black sand beach of them all. Here you will be guided personally to the glorious, roaring surf that constantly pounds this beautiful place. You will have enough time to experience this beach and ensure you have a good understanding of its significance. Of course your guide will always keep a watchful eye out for the Flora and Fauna that live here and will point these out to you. Many native plants were used extensively by Maori and you can learn which ones were the most useful; in fact Maori still use these plants for medicinal purposes today. We will go for a few short walks to show you some of the stunning nature in this part of Auckland before having picnic lunch, the location depending somewhat on the weather on the day. After lunch, we continue on to Muriwai Beach, famous as the location for one of only 2 mainland Gannet colonies in New Zealand, as well as beautiful cliffs and beach scenery.

This Private Full Day West Coast Tour through the Waitakere Ranges shows you some beautiful scenery that will explain why these black sand beaches and these ranges are so special.

Highlights:

 Titirangi (Maori for Fringe of Heaven), the artists’ enclave on the Manukau Harbour

 Spectacular ocean vistas along Auckland’s wild West Coast in our famous Waitakere Ranges

 Unique indigenous flora and fauna

 Soaring cliffs, roaring surf and spectacular, volcanic black sand beaches

 Visit 2 of the most stunning of all the black sand beaches on Auckland's famous West Coast, incl famous Gannet Colony

 Ancient native rainforest including our New Zealand Christmas Trees (Pohutukawa Trees) and the amazing Kauri Trees

Included: Picnic lunch, snacks, hot/cold drinks, transport, all equipment, all taxes and park fees included, so NO hidden costs!!"

Back to me......

If we can get between 5-11 people the cost is NZ $245 each but the exchange rate makes that about US$192 per person which isn't at all bad for a whole day including lunch! This is a top-class outfit with wonderful guides.

Any interested parties? Already got 2! Need another 3 or so!

Diane

Private Auckland West Coast Full Day Tour

09:00 to 17:00 or to adjust for our cruise ship time requirements

In January I did the Solstice's NZ to Australia trip and while in Auckland I did a half-day tour with a company highly recommended by local friends. Boy, were they right! Had an excellent tour.

I just contacted them again to see if another great tour can be arranged and they suggested the following (gorgeous areas!). This would be a small group, just Solsticers, so we could modify it as the day goes if necessary and be able to stop wherever we want for those all-important photos!

Here's the suggestion:

"Experience the famous Waitakere Ranges on Auckland’s West Coast on a very personal tour with multi award-winning global tourism award winner TIME Unlimited Tours. Be amazed by Auckland's famous West Coast with its subtropical rainforest, soaring cliffs, roaring surf and stunning black sand beaches. Walk along the deserted shore, with the sound of the sea in your ears, the wind in your hair and the salt spray on your face. Keep away from the masses and try this multi award-winning tour just for your group on a Private Tour! Includes transport to and from your cruise ship, as well as snacks and hot/cold drinks.

After pick-up from your cruise ship, drive to the West, leaving behind beautiful Auckland surprisingly quickly as you pass through Titirangi, which translates to "Fringe of Heaven" in the local Maori language. Titirangi has several nice cafes and bakeries, which the locals love to spend time in. Then enter the beautiful native rainforest that is the Waitakere Ranges, made famous by many movies that have been filmed here. Oscar-winning movie "The Piano" is a good example. As you drive through lush subtropical rainforest, learn about the local Flora and Fauna that inhabit these ranges.

We drive towards the West Coast and reach it in form of what is often referred to as one of the most beautiful black sand beach of them all. Here you will be guided personally to the glorious, roaring surf that constantly pounds this beautiful place. You will have enough time to experience this beach and ensure you have a good understanding of its significance. Of course your guide will always keep a watchful eye out for the Flora and Fauna that live here and will point these out to you. Many native plants were used extensively by Maori and you can learn which ones were the most useful; in fact Maori still use these plants for medicinal purposes today. We will go for a few short walks to show you some of the stunning nature in this part of Auckland before having picnic lunch, the location depending somewhat on the weather on the day. After lunch, we continue on to Muriwai Beach, famous as the location for one of only 2 mainland Gannet colonies in New Zealand, as well as beautiful cliffs and beach scenery.

This Private Full Day West Coast Tour through the Waitakere Ranges shows you some beautiful scenery that will explain why these black sand beaches and these ranges are so special.

Highlights:

 Titirangi (Maori for Fringe of Heaven), the artists’ enclave on the Manukau Harbour

 Spectacular ocean vistas along Auckland’s wild West Coast in our famous Waitakere Ranges

 Unique indigenous flora and fauna

 Soaring cliffs, roaring surf and spectacular, volcanic black sand beaches

 Visit 2 of the most stunning of all the black sand beaches on Auckland's famous West Coast, incl famous Gannet Colony

 Ancient native rainforest including our New Zealand Christmas Trees (Pohutukawa Trees) and the amazing Kauri Trees

Included: Picnic lunch, snacks, hot/cold drinks, transport, all equipment, all taxes and park fees included, so NO hidden costs!!"

Back to me......

If we can get between 5-11 people the cost is NZ $245 each but the exchange rate makes that about US$192 per person which isn't at all bad for a whole day including lunch! This is a top-class outfit with wonderful guides.

Any interested parties? Already got 2! Need another 3 or so!

Diane

Hi Diane,

I am definitely interested in this tour. It sounds like a great opportunity to take some good photos and experience some of the lesser know but beautiful spots. How vigorous is the walking part of the tour? Do you need any special hiking/walking shoes? I am traveling solo so I can fill one of the 3 or so additional spots available. Please keep me in mind and posted on this excursion.

Thanks,

Travler3824

Hi Diane,

I am definitely interested in this tour. It sounds like a great opportunity to take some good photos and experience some of the lesser know but beautiful spots. How vigorous is the walking part of the tour? Do you need any special hiking/walking shoes? I am traveling solo so I can fill one of the 3 or so additional spots available. Please keep me in mind and posted on this excursion.

Thanks,

Travler3824

Hi Travler3824

Excellent! You're on!

Regarding the walking, I definitely won't be bringing any heavy hiking shoes. In fact, I'll just be packing the lightweight sneakers I love so much! I think, as this is our private tour, that we can adjust things as we like. I mean, if we get somewhere and have a 30 minute stop or something, some can gently stroll and some might want to stride out for a bigger/harder walk. I'm more inclined towards the gentle side (lazy thing!!), but we can play it by ear. If there's a great photo up a slope, I'd probably climb it! LOL!

Could you email me at Diane underscore green at Telus dot net so I can gather up details? Just include you are "travler" so I can identify you! Thanks.

Diane

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Mate

Rob here from Sunshine Coast.I will be on this cruise with my partner Geoff.We have also booked an Aft cabin on deck 7

Cheers Rob & Geoff

Great to have you aboard. Lots of time until the cruise for planning. Jeff and Bob

Sent from my BNTV600 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

James, (Dingoboy), you mentioned in a previous thread your reservation of staying in north Sydney. I have my eye on one property for our foursome from Monday to Friday and was wondering if I could pick your brain on it. I've sent you a friend request to initiate.

Thanks in advance,

James, (Dingoboy), you mentioned in a previous thread your reservation of staying in north Sydney. I have my eye on one property for our foursome from Monday to Friday and was wondering if I could pick your brain on it. I've sent you a friend request to initiate.

Thanks in advance,

As a Sydneysider for most of my life, I may be able to help ... what hotel are you looking at?

Cheers

Bob

As a Sydneysider for most of my life, I may be able to help ... what hotel are you looking at?

Cheers

Bob

Bob, thank you for reaching out. We saw a place on airbnb directly across across from your beautiful opera house and beside the famous bridge. Yesterday evening we found a more spacious apartment closer to the cbd with a view of the cruise terminals which we're going to book. Looking forward to meeting you!

Bob, thank you for reaching out. We saw a place on airbnb directly across across from your beautiful opera house and beside the famous bridge. Yesterday evening we found a more spacious apartment closer to the cbd with a view of the cruise terminals which we're going to book. Looking forward to meeting you!

Pleased you got something that works for you ... I am sure you will appreciate and enjoy your precruise time in Sydney.

Cheers

Bob

Welcomed you guys on the other thread too. Should be a great cruise. Lots of us onboard. Two friends from Scotland are joining us plus we hope to guys from Boston. Are you new to cruising? Celebrity?

Sent from my BNTV600 using Forums mobile app

Hi all

Those of you spending some pre-cruise time in Sydney might appreciate this feature on the Independent Traveler website:

http://www.independenttraveler.com/destinations/australia-new-zealand/sydney

Cheers

Bob

Thanks Bob, looking forward to reading it.

Allan (and Paul), we're Mark and Jim's friends

• 2 weeks later...
Pleased you got something that works for you ... I am sure you will appreciate and enjoy your precruise time in Sydney.

Cheers

Bob

Bob, Allan here. The accommodations we hoped for was booked for our time. We found another location but I wonder if you have an opinion about the area. Having grown up in Niagara Falls :) anything in close proximity to the end of a bridge is not considered a safe area to walk. Do you know this area at all? https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=140+-+142+Cumberland+Street,+The+Rocks,+NSW+2000&hnear=140%2F142+Cumberland+St,+The+Rocks+New+South+Wales+2000,+Australia&gl=ca&t=m&z=16

Thanks in advance,

Hi All,

Sorry that I've been missing in action !! Currently demolishing our house and rebuilding.

So what with getting council approval and dealing with builders and trades - UGH !!

Anyway we are all finally starting to turn our mind to this cruise getting excited.

Will try to go back and answer questions as I find them.

Cheers,

James

Hi Mate

Rob here from Sunshine Coast.I will be on this cruise with my partner Geoff.We have also booked an Aft cabin on deck 7

Cheers Rob & Geoff

Hey we lived on the sunshine coast for 7 years.

We have 4 aft balconies on deck 6.

Thanks in advance,

Hey only just seen this - haven't been onto CC for ages.

And hence haven't seen your notification.

my email for direct contact sirjameshardy at me.com