Overnight Onboard in Venice

YankeeClipper581

I'm considering a cruise for an upcoming honeymoon that includes an overnight onboard in both Venice and Barcelona. I have previously sailed on HAL but have not done any with overnights in port. On such occasions, are you free to come and go from the ship as you please, or is there a certain time that your are required back on the ship each night? Also, when in Venice, does HAL provide a free water shuttle to/from the ship or must you make your own arrangements? Thanks for the help.

Yes, you can come and go as you please all night.

No free shuttles on water or land in Venice. HAL used to provide a $5/p/direction land shuttle to/from Piazzale Roma (the nearest vaporetto stop), but I don't believe that's been offered since the People Mover opened in the summer of 2010. The P.M. is 1 Euro/p each way.

Definitely you can come and go as you like.

There was a water taxi transfer when we were there - I believe it was 5 euros per person :)

It's a great experience - go for it.

Barcelona is a piece of cake - there are shuttles (charge) and/or take a cab - you are not far from Las Ramblas and that is a joy to walk:D

Yes, you may come and go as you wish. The people mover does close at night - not sure what time though. However, if walking is not an issue for you, try walking it - about 15 minutes max.

Just follow the crowd - there will be a large pack going towards the people mover (which is a very short trip), and another group that will be walking.

Ditto, we loved the overnight in Venice. If I wasn't so whipped from the plane ride I'd have done more. The water transport by HAL was very well organized and easy. I researched Venice a lot before leaving but once there it was Waaaay easier than I thought.

Book it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, you may come and go as you wish. The people mover does close at night - not sure what time though. However, if walking is not an issue for you, try walking it - about 15 minutes max.

Just follow the crowd - there will be a large pack going towards the people mover (which is a very short trip), and another group that will be walking.

According to the Living Venice blog section on the people mover it stops at 11pm on weekdays and 10pm on Sundays. Probably that is late enough for most HAL guests :rolleyes:

See http://livingveniceblog.com/venice-instructions/venice-transportation-options/peoplemover-tram-marittima-port-piazzale-roma/

The people mover is in the port complex - there are no shops nearby. It drops you off close to Piazzale Roma, but you must continue, past the train station to find shops, or cross the bridge into the main part of Venice.

Regarding late nights and HAL, I disembarked at 6AM, and was surprised at the number of people returning to the ship on foot - mind you it could have been crew as well as passengers. I think the Med sailings skew younger - in this case, about half the ship were Spaniards, and much younger than HAL's typical demographic.

Are there shops in the vicinity of the people movers in venice?

thanks

I don't really recall, because when we were in P'le Roma we weren't looking for any shops - whatever kind you are asking about. It's mainly a transportation connecting area for buses, taxis, vaporettos, and the RR station just over a bridge. I think you would have walk a little way to find much more than things like news stands.

Archived