snorkeling in Tahiti

walkerspt

We're leaving for our first cruise in the South Pacific and have booked a number of snorkeling excursions. We usually take our own equipment when we snorkel but have got the impression that fins are not necessary or not generally used. it would be great to save the weight if this is the case. Can anyone shed some light on this?

If you take organized excursions, then fins will probably be supplied. I have never taken fins, and have sometimes done excursions without them altogether. But for drift snorkels, you'd want them for sure, since we're talking about fairly strong currents, so I'd just make sure that your booked excursions include equipment. Water shoes are invaluable to bring as well.

Polynesian tour operators, in my experience, have very little respect for the coral, or the fauna in general. It's sad really--you have to find a marine biologist, most of whom work really hard to put in protection programs, including, sadly, educating the local populous. Traditionally, this was an unlimited resource to them, one that was meant to be exploited.

I have seen tour guides standing on coral heads on Bora Bora, for instance. Yes, fins would get in the way at times, but I frankly feel safer wearing them if I'm out in deep water, with any kind of water movement. If you find yourself getting too close to coral that's very shallow, then the fins can help you get out of the way more effectively. But you do have to be careful.

Archived