Scuba in Ft Lauderdale?

mahdnc

We are going on a 14 night cruise out of Port Everglades in late Dec 2013 (and will be doing some diving at a few of the islands).

As a hedge against bad weather here in Chicago, we are likely to fly down to Ft Lauderdale early before the cruise and stay there for 2 nights.

My question, is there any good diving in the Ft Lauderdale area that we might want to consider? Or should we save our money for the diving we will end up doing on the cruise?

We dove Key Largo and Key West this past summer so I don't feel the need to going there and I would like to avoid renting a car.....

There are quite a few dive ops in FLL or Miami area. But unless you stay at a hotel right by one of them, chances are you'll still need to rent a car.

Key Largo would have better diving than FLL. Key West not too good, unless you get a longer boat ride. Also, diving is not cheap in FL.

If you're going to get some good diving in your cruise ports (e.g. Cozumel, St. Lucia, Cayman, Dominica) then they'll be better diving than FLL/Miami.

If you had a car I would recommend a 30 minute drive up to the Palm Beach area. Drift diving is the standard there over the many reefs that run along the coast. This is a very different experience than what you had in the keys. Usually the current runs 2-3 knots and makes for long easy drives over hard bottoms. With the Gulf Stream closer to shore here that anywhere in the world. You are more likely to see larger marine life than most places in Florida.

If you had a car I would recommend a 30 minute drive up to the Palm Beach area. Drift diving is the standard there over the many reefs that run along the coast. This is a very different experience than what you had in the keys. Usually the current runs 2-3 knots and makes for long easy drives over hard bottoms. With the Gulf Stream closer to shore here that anywhere in the world. You are more likely to see larger marine life than most places in Florida.

Agree with G.C. Don't tell anyone but it's lobster season.If you rent a tank under Blue Heron Bridge at slack tide is great.

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/USA_East/Florida/Blue_Heron/index.htm

Agree with G.C. Don't tell anyone but it's lobster season.If you rent a tank under Blue Heron Bridge at slack tide is great.

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/USA_East/Florida/Blue_Heron/index.htm

I had forgotten about the Blue Heron Bridge. Thanks for reminding me!! Funny how that spot been in lots of dive articles lately as one of the top dives in the world. Certainly a one of a kind spot. If you go make sure it`s at the end of incoming tide when the water is it`s cleanest. The end of the outgoing tide is to be avoided.

Key Largo would have better diving than FLL. Key West not too good, unless you get a longer boat ride. Also, diving is not cheap in FL.

If you're going to get some good diving in your cruise ports (e.g. Cozumel, St. Lucia, Cayman, Dominica) then they'll be better diving than FLL/Miami.

How does the diving at Key Largo compare to Curacao, Aruba, St. Lucia, or St Thomas? Just asking because Key Largo is a known point of reference for me........

How does the diving at Key Largo compare to Curacao, Aruba, St. Lucia, or St Thomas? Just asking because Key Largo is a known point of reference for me........

Key Largo has some neat wrecks. The reefs were not bad, but it's much better at St. Lucia. For St. Thomas, I did 4 boat dives from Coki Beach. They were all good. At one of them, there were thousands of those small fish, forgot the name.

Those other Caribbean islands are also further south of KL, and with warmer water, there can be more abundant coral reef growth.

Oh, at St. Lucia, try to ask to dive at "Superman's Flight". It's a dive site near the pitons. If you go there, you can also see the pitons. The pitons have to be seen from the see (therefore boat). Most of the dive boats start further north, and may not go south enough for you to see the pitons. So by asking for it, you may get it.

Archived