Why can't I find a model of the Cruise Ship I'm on?

MarKandi

It’s not only the experiences from cruising that I am beyond passionate about, it of course is the ships too, but even beyond that I enjoy learning more about the workings of the ships upon which I sail.

On one of our cruises, I became curious about what lies beneath the hull of the ship and it's propulsion system, mainly the Azipods, so I went on a quest to find a model of the Zuideram of which I could find none. No big deal...I'll check it out some other time.

A few years later while sailing on the Eurodam, again, I attempted to find a model of the ship..again..none was to be found so this time I was able to ask one of the officers if there was a model of her that I could view.

He replied that there was one, but it wan't in the publics view....asked why that was, but he didn't know.

Anyone have an answer?...is it just HAL, or is it all cruise lines. I don't recall seeing a model of other cruiselines I've been on (Princess and Carnival :( ). Whats funny is I can usually find the info I need online, but not on the cruise ship itself...

:rolleyes:

I have no idea what HAL does with their model ships. During an innaugural cruise on the Veendam in 1996 [the last of the S class] they had a beautiful model of the new Rotterdam {the first of the R class} in a glass case in the Atrium. I'd guess it was 5-6 feet long. Where it resides now is anyone's guess. Perhaps Copper 10-8 can answer this question for you.:)

It’s not only the experiences from cruising that I am beyond passionate about, it of course is the ships too, but even beyond that I enjoy learning more about the workings of the ships upon which I sail.

On one of our cruises, I became curious about what lies beneath the hull of the ship and it's propulsion system, mainly the Azipods, so I went on a quest to find a model of the Zuideram of which I could find none. No big deal...I'll check it out some other time.

A few years later while sailing on the Eurodam, again, I attempted to find a model of the ship..again..none was to be found so this time I was able to ask one of the officers if there was a model of her that I could view.

He replied that there was one, but it wan't in the publics view....asked why that was, but he didn't know.

Anyone have an answer?...is it just HAL, or is it all cruise lines. I don't recall seeing a model of other cruiselines I've been on (Princess and Carnival :( ). Whats funny is I can usually find the info I need online, but not on the cruise ship itself...

:rolleyes:

What does PDX stand for? Been in Vancouver over 40 years and never heard of PDX.:confused:

There are some HAL model ships around but they are not readily available.

I've not found a website where you can buy them but HAL did, at one time, give some as gifts.

I'm not a big e-bay person but this is the second time in a week, I've suggested trying e-bay. Seeing I know some exist, to scale, beautifully done, it's worth a try to look there.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived