The Brilliant Reflection - A Review of 1-12-2013 Sailing with Photos (Very Long)

librarylady19

We found the storage to be adequate for us for a 7 day cruise. I did bring a hanging shoe bag (a lifesaver!) and lots of hangers. The pull down bar in the closet was helpful for hanging shorter items.

76c0c826670be904f9ce292d00be74c2.jpg

001323534a9c324c940877a690520211.jpg

The cabin had a deep, angled balcony with a large overhang (from the pool deck above).

P1010234_zps367dc4aa.jpg

P1010235_zps81c4ba57.jpg

There was a view forward but aft views were blocked by the hump.

P1010236_zps811a3356.jpg

As I noted in my cabin report, there definitely was noise in the early mornings (6:00 a.m. or thereabouts) when chairs were being moved and occasional thudding from joggers but the balcony size and convenient location more than made up for those "issues."

After meeting our cabin steward Desmond from India and asking him for cheese plate in lieu of afternoon canapes, it was off to explore a little more before Muster Drill at 3:30 p.m.

Great review and pics Sandy. Ironically I have the same cabin booked for our 2014 cruise. This will be our first hump experience the last two have been in the aft. I wish the newer ships had Aqua in the aft but they seem to limit them now to suites and concierge class. How did you enjoy 2146 on the Reflection? I just took advantage of the Celebrity pick your perk promotion and booked 2146. We were suppose to do this identical itinerary on the Silhouette this year but had to cancel so we are already looking forward :)

Great review and pics Sandy. Ironically I have the same cabin booked for our 2014 cruise. This will be our first hump experience the last two have been in the aft. I wish the newer ships had Aqua in the aft but they seem to limit them now to suites and concierge class. How did you enjoy 2146 on the Reflection? I just took advantage of the Celebrity pick your perk promotion and booked 2146. We were suppose to do this identical itinerary on the Silhouette this year but had to cancel so we are already looking forward :)

Glad you were able to book a great cabin! Some people have mentioned excess noise on the hump but we did not find this to be our experience. Just loved the central location too. Take a look at the reviews on the cabin spreadsheet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you were able to book a great cabin! Some people have mentioned excess noise on the hump but we did not find this to be our experience. Just loved the central location too. Take a look at the reviews on the cabin spreadsheet.

Be sure to check out the amazing artwork - one of my favorite features of this ship.

this spring i sailed the reflection from miami to rome. while it was a great cruise, the blu experience was a disappointment. i had booked blu because our summit sailing in aqua had been so much fun, special and delicious. on the reflection food in blu was essentially the same food as in the mdr, prepared and presented, it seemed, in much the same fashion as in the mdr. the service felt rushed even though there was a long wait between plates. i ended up eating in the mdr more nights than in blu; service there wasn't rushed, very good food was hot. with friends i met on-board tried the tuscan grill twice and the service was properly paced, all the staff were friendly.

the best meal by far was in murano, even though the host stood and chatted (hovered) at our table for far too long.

on the last dress-up night i did go to blu for the lobster and found it to be the best i've ever had on a ship, but the service was still poor. my waiter even made her assistant cry in the middle of the dining room, though the waiter was the one doing the poor job while the assistant was trying to do everything in her power to make sure her section was happy.

reflection had too many aqua and suite passengers for the size of the dining room, it was always packed from start of supper to end of service. at times the line was long enough outside the maitre'd from the tuscan came over with menus.

oh, unlike some others commenting in this wonderful review of your sailing i had a good experience with the wine steward, he was attentive and friendly. it was obvious though he did have too many tables to cover.

• 2 months later...

P1010391_zpsa4ce81d1.jpg

Sandi,

Now within 3 weeks of our cruise on Reflection, I've made this picture the wallpaper on my phone. And I note you posted it last year on our anniversary (we're sailing a week prior for the itinerary.)

Anyway, thanks again for sharing a great review with wonderful pictures.

Can't wait! :)

Tim

Have a great trip. Sadly we are not going to the Caribbean this winter as we went to London and Belgium in October and have our first med cruise coming up in May. Given the winter weather we have already "enjoyed" in Chicago, I really wish we were joining you.

• 5 weeks later...

Weird question, but do the foot rest part of the chairs on the balcony come away from the chairs, or are they attached? The chairs don't look too comfortable, or are they? Thanks.

library lady, your review is fantasic. Thanks so much for writing it, and glad that

I found it. You had a list of everything that you were invited to as an Elite guest.

We'll be Elite too... do any of those things have fees for us? The wine tasting, etc?

Thanks! I miss Celebrity. We are trying Azamara for the first time in May - will be interesting to compare the 2

To answer your qursu

Hi, librarylady... I think your message got cut off?

Sorry about that...I'm having issues with my iPhone battery.

To answer your questions, the footstools are separate from the chairs. The chairs are pretty comfortable if you put a pillow (from the bed) on them for back support.

We did not attend the wine tasting (free for elites) as we had been on one on Summit and found it was mostly people interested in getting free wine samples (which we couldn't be bothered with since we had the premium beverage package). Best perk for us was the internet minutes !

Edited by librarylady19

We love the sunset bar also. It's really one of the best place to sit and lounge and enjoy a cocktail. Peaceful ad quiet and I did not even get bothered by the second hand smoke :)

People can smoke outside at the Sunset Bar?

Also, I've read that it's a great place to go for sail away, but

are you able to see everything as you leave port... or would it

be better to go to the deck above the pool? It looks like there's a pool

bar there. I ask because we're trying to figure out the best place to

meet friends for sail away after the muster drill.

Thanks very much.

Edited by JB3
added something

Sorry about that...I'm having issues with my iPhone battery.

To answer your questions, the footstools are separate from the chairs. The chairs are pretty comfortable if you put a pillow (from the bed) on them for back support.

We did not attend the wine tasting (free for elites) as we had been on one on Summit and found it was mostly people interested in getting free wine samples (which we couldn't be bothered with since we had the premium beverage package). Best perk for us was the internet minutes !

Librarylady, Thank you so much for this fantastic review. I read it all in the past few days.

We're sailing soon, and it'll be our 20th cruise, but first on X. I actually saw a YouTube video of a guy showing those storage cubes in a cabin that's similar to ours. I showed the video to my husband, and I was laughing... I said why on earth would anyone want to pack stuff for storage!? Well.... now I keep reading more and more about those cubes, and they're on sale this week at Target, and I'm going to go pick up a few. haha First I will check the ones out at the Dollar Tree, and then I will check the dollar bins at Target too, but still... going to get a few. I can't remember a cruise when we haven't had shelves in the closet, and lots of storage space, although it seems sorta sparce in these cabins. Thanks for the tip--and for all of the wonderful info!

People can smoke outside at the Sunset Bar?

Also, I've read that it's a great place to go for sail away, but

are you able to see everything as you leave port... or would it

be better to go to the deck above the pool? It looks like there's a pool

bar there. I ask because we're trying to figure out the best place to

meet friends for sail away after the muster drill.

Thanks very much.

H:)i....yes, there is smoking allowed outside upstairs at the Sunset

Bar. Portside only....you will see the ashtrays and yes, it is a great

view up there for sailaway:).......

There is a bar at the pool but in my opinion, not nearly the view.....

Sunset Bar is awesome:)

H:)i....yes, there is smoking allowed outside upstairs at the Sunset

Bar. Portside only....you will see the ashtrays and yes, it is a great

view up there for sailaway:).......

There is a bar at the pool but in my opinion, not nearly the view.....

Sunset Bar is awesome:)

Thanks so much, sounds like a plan then. : )

I imagine that smoking is on the port side on the open decks too then. Good to know.

• 1 month later...
To continue with Day 2....we were relaxing in the Persian Gardens on the divine heated loungers.

2db22bf2593a064e9c5126dfc3b99a0a.jpg

There are also a variety of saunas and steam rooms in this area for use by PG guests (AQ guests and those purchasing a PG pass).

Sauna, with ocean view:

P1010275_zps257b30d7.jpg

Steam room:

P1010281_zps5ff92cfd.jpg

Cold Room:

P1010278_zps6059582f.jpg

There was an aromatherapy steam room but I did not really notice too much aroma in there, as well as a hammam (which was just a very steamy room) and 2 sets of rain showers that were very chilly. We primarily used the loungers.

I have not had the chance to complete this review yet but oh my gosh - that picture of you enjoying the heated loungers is GORGEOUS! Seriously. I am so ready for some relaxation!

We board Reflection Saturday for our first ever cruise. I have always been apprehensive about cruising despite extensive world travel and at 56 I'm finally ready to give it a go - it was this review that ultimately changed my mind. Thank you Sandi, I'm sure this is going to be one of the pleasures of my life.

Thanks for posting your review & photos!

This may be a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyways - on the Captain Bob excursion in St. Maarten, you said that you had to swim from the boat to the shore to eat - Did you eat in your bathing suit? Otherwise, I would assume you were soaking wet by the time you got ashore? Or was the water not that deep where he anchored the boat? Or was it very casual (ie, sitting outside at the beach eating)? We loved boating at home, and I think we'd enjoy a tour of this nature on our trip to St. Maarten next year.

I am loving this review...but I did not realize the threads on this forum quickly move to page 3, 4, or 5 pretty quickly. I've stayed up far longer reading so hopefully this post will bump it up. Looking forward to reading the rest...I think I'm only a little more than halfway through.

One question...why did you choose to fly out of MDW compared to ORD? We used to prefer MDW when we flew Delta but those flights now are a nightmare with overnight layovers...ugh! Otherwise MDW is such a breeze compared to ORD.

• 4 weeks later...
I am loving this review...but I did not realize the threads on this forum quickly move to page 3, 4, or 5 pretty quickly. I've stayed up far longer reading so hopefully this post will bump it up. Looking forward to reading the rest...I think I'm only a little more than halfway through.

One question...why did you choose to fly out of MDW compared to ORD? We used to prefer MDW when we flew Delta but those flights now are a nightmare with overnight layovers...ugh! Otherwise MDW is such a breeze compared to ORD.

Thanks for the compliment! I just booked a return visit to the Reflection for January 2016 - she will be doing Western Caribbean itineraries and we haven't yet been to Coco Cay or Ocho Rios. Look forward to revisiting our favorite ship.

We always fly out of Midway for domestic flights in SW. Most convenient, closer to home, and we generally have free flights through our Rapid Rewards points!!

Thanks for the compliment! I just booked a return visit to the Reflection for January 2016 - she will be doing Western Caribbean itineraries and we haven't yet been to Coco Cay or Ocho Rios. Look forward to revisiting our favorite ship.

We always fly out of Midway for domestic flights in SW. Most convenient, closer to home, and we generally have free flights through our Rapid Rewards points!!

I agree...we fly SW for domestic flights as well....great fares. Although MDW is a little further, it's much quicker to get in and out of so returning home, it's a toss up...drive an extra 15 minutes or spend much less time getting back to the hotel to get our car.

We always flew Delta to the Caribbean out of MDW but the flights for us are now a nightmare too with the overnight layover so we've changed to ORD. Hopefully, Delta will start offering the good flights again.