Disappointed Belize Traveller - Carnival

cruiseman34

Well, hooray for you...but you have been there multiple times,correct? What "amazes" you about people booking a vacation to a dreamed about location???? Just because you have cruised and can continue to cruise many times, not all folks are able. Have some compassion....it is not about CCL's contract, or rights, it is about having some empathy for those whose dreams are being squashed....period!

all the empathy or sympathy in the world doesn't change the circumstances, and compassion doesn't get the port back. i think the reason a lot of folks when commenting emphasize the fact that ports aren't guaranteed is because people rarely read their contracts and are not even aware that a change in itinerary would ever be done or why. it isn't only the op who reads the thread but lots of other cruisers who may not know and now have a lot better understanding by reading the thread.

a cruise is not a mode of transportation just to get you from point a to point b. the ship, itself, is the destination for the vacation. all the rest is just hoped for fru-fru, just like most of us hope for good weather and calm seas you can only hope that visits to your favorite place will happen.

Frankly I love both places, Belize and Cost Maya. I did a ship excursions for both ports. I haven't gotten enough of either port. I'm hoping to plan a cruise soon to that area again. We went to saw the Ruins and did a Zip line. There are many tours at both locations that you can do. We didn't just stay in the ports areas. We book a tour and went and saw the country.

I think you can makes Lemon Aid out of Lemons. I don't see this to be a loss.

Like one person said any cruise line can change the route with out notice. We have had that happen to us. That is a chance you take when booking a cruise. All I have to say it has never happen to us with out good reason. Cruise Line don't like doing that as it does cause headaches on both sides.

Well, hooray for you...but you have been there multiple times,correct? What "amazes" you about people booking a vacation to a dreamed about location???? Just because you have cruised and can continue to cruise many times, not all folks are able. Have some compassion....it is not about CCL's contract, or rights, it is about having some empathy for those whose dreams are being squashed....period!

Well said, I couldn't agree more.

Those of you that don't line Belize City....Have you actually BEEN there and if so...Did you DO anything???

One of the BEST excursions one is likely to ever go on is to the Lamanai Ruins. Talk about HISTORY! The trip up the New River was an adventure in itself! I'm thinking about doing Altun Ha coming up in April! If you like outdoors/history, there is no reason not to like Belize.

One negative is that it IS a rather long tender!

Snorkeling is great in Belize - far superior to anything around Costa Maya. And a pharmacy that doesn't care if you have a prescription.

Years ago, Costa Maya was much better than it is today. Back before Hurricane Dean and the modernization of Costa Maya and the sleepy fishing village next door.

belize is my least favorite of all the Western Caribbean ports. Most people will also tell you that due to crime, you need to book a ship excusrion in Belize as you really don't want to go outside the port area on your own.

I completely agree with this - the LONG tender ride is enough to make me not want to book with an outside vendor for an excursion - no way would I want to risk missing the ship there! Plus I refuse to do the cave tubing excursion after the terrible story of the lady from Miami that drowned doing it a few years ago.

I know, I know, one person out of how many? Still - I'm not doing it.

OP - you mention this cruise is a graduation gift. don't want to assume anything but, are you still before final payment? If so, you may be able to cancel and re-book. Even if you booked early saver, it will be a $50 loss, but if she really wants Belize, it may be an option. Or a land vacation. You can go to various websites like cruisett.com to see what a port load might be for any given day and find a cruise that might not be so "busy".

I wish you luck. I am one of the few, it seems, that LOVE Belize. Both times we have booked private excursions and both times have had WONDERFUL experiences, been back to port in plenty of time. First was snorkeling at Shark Alley reef (?) and then lunch on Caye Caulker. The second was cave tubing and my kids still talk about it. Yes, a woman died....high water in the cave...but they have made changes in the ratio of guide to passengers to prevent such tragedies.

Costa Maya was one of our ports on a previous family cruise. Our high school aged teens said it was the best of the four ports, including Belize. Tropicante (search for it on the Web) at Mahahual, a short taxi ride from the tourist area at the pier, is where we went to a really great beach. We reserved loungers before we sailed and there is great food, drink, massages, etc. Search the following thread for Steve Uhl: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=31669402&highlight=steve+uhl#post31669402 and you can get more info.

Here's hoping you have a great cruise. Bon Voyage!

I second Tropicante on Costa Maya. We had the best time there. The beach was just beautiful and Steve was an amazing host.

I understand your disappointment with Belize. Our ship will be in Belize next week and I was really looking forward to it until about 20 min ago when I checked my email. I booked a tour with Coral Breeze and they emailed me this morning to tell me that they didn't have enough people sign up for the tour so they canceled it. They are the only tour company that I could find that would take us to Caye Caulker which I have been dying to see since I first read reviews about it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that things happen and sometimes it's for the best. As long as you guys go and keep a positive attitude, you will have a blast no matter where you go or what you do. We have to start over again with our planning, but I know that we are going to have fun no matter what we do.

My senior in high school wanted to take a cruise with the family to Belize as her graduation gift...although very expensive, I booked it and also talked another family into the trip....I was notifed a couple of weeks ago that Belize was being cancelled as one of our destination ports because of "port congestion". They let me know how excited I should be that they had replaced the port with Costa Maya and given us an extra hour in Cozumel.....when I contacted them today, they said they had chosen not to give anything to the passengers for this and I should "just accept it".

Thanks Carnival from my Senior '13!

I am sorry your daughter is disappointed. I don't blame her. I would be upset, too.

I am also sorry that some people here feel that it is their duty to inform you that Belize is a crappy choice anyway because that is how THEY feel. Who cares what others think of the port? It's where your daughter wanted to go for her graduation gift, and she has every right to decide for herself what she thinks of it!

When is the cruise? Did you ask Carnival if you can cancel and get a refund? Do they not offer at least partial reimbursement of anything you've paid already if it is a long time from departure date? I can't remember what I read about refund policies specifically.

I am really sorry that the graduation trip was ruined (and yes, when you are no longer going to the destination of your choice, it is ruined), but I hope that your daughter and the rest of your family have a wonderful time if you elect to go on the cruise.

Sherry

I understand your disappointment with Belize. Our ship will be in Belize next week and I was really looking forward to it until about 20 min ago when I checked my email. I booked a tour with Coral Breeze and they emailed me this morning to tell me that they didn't have enough people sign up for the tour so they canceled it. They are the only tour company that I could find that would take us to Caye Caulker which I have been dying to see since I first read reviews about it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that things happen and sometimes it's for the best. As long as you guys go and keep a positive attitude, you will have a blast no matter where you go or what you do. We have to start over again with our planning, but I know that we are going to have fun no matter what we do.

I agree with you that they can still have a fantastic time, but I can sure understand the young lady's disappointment, and the parents' frustration.

I am so sorry about your excursion. Have you looked at the excursion board here and asked about private tour recommendations? I found some excellent excursions that way. Good luck!

Now before anyone gets butthurt, the next is just my opinion. Unless you are Cavetubing,,,

Belize sucks!

Unless you're into the history of a third world country, you're better off!

Although I heard the snorkeling is some of the best in the world but we didn't have time for it so it was too late for us.

Don't be disappointed. We were in Belize for the second time in December. Our first trip we did cave tubing. As a previous poster said, unless that is what you want to do you are not missing anything. That port is a real eyesore. One friend of mine even came across a man yielding a machete and threatening someone. Last week another friend returned and said that there was civil unrest. NOT someplace I ever want to go again. Tell your graduate not to be disappointed and enjoy Costa Maya!

Don't be disappointed. We were in Belize for the second time in December. Our first trip we did cave tubing. As a previous poster said, unless that is what you want to do you are not missing anything. That port is a real eyesore. One friend of mine even came across a man yielding a machete and threatening someone. Last week another friend returned and said that there was civil unrest. NOT someplace I ever want to go again. Tell your graduate not to be disappointed and enjoy Costa Maya!

Agreed.

Learned a long time ago there is no guarantee you will go to the ports you signed up for. That is just the way cruising works and if missing a port will RUIN your cruise than I would say cruising is not for you.

Maybe if you guys didn't bash Belize so much, maybe they would have the opportunity to get enough tourist cash flow to improve the conditions around the city. Just saying! :cool: Opinions, Opinions... are just that.

Hope your graduate has lots of fun no matter what the circumstance.

I've been to Belize several times. Once I went cavetubing, another time I went to see the ruins and another time I just hung around the port and had lunch.

I'm sorry that you're going to miss the port and will not be able to determine for yourself whether or not you like it. Just because someone else doesn't like something doesn't mean you won't like it either. When reading this board, I always wondered why people have this attitude.

I do love Costa Maya very much and wish the stay was longer. As others have said, the Tropicante is an excellent place to spend the day and Steve is an excellent host and he'll even let you use his phone to call home if you'd like and it's free! You can get a bucket of 5 Coronas for a measley $10.00!

Can't wait to go back in March!

I hope whatever you decide that you and your daughter will have a wonderful time celebrating her graduation!

Maybe if you guys didn't bash Belize so much, maybe they would have the opportunity to get enough tourist cash flow to improve the conditions around the city. Just saying! :cool: Opinions, Opinions... are just that.

Hope your graduate has lots of fun no matter what the circumstance.

To be fair, Belize is one of the hottest, fastest growing tourist areas in the Caribbean right now, so they likely have a lot of tourist dollars. Granted, though, they're up and coming so they don't have years of tourist dollars going for them so they are just getting started.

Archived