How safe are waverunners? share your stories.

They are a lot of fun. They will give instructional lessons before you go out. You will be in a group with one guide in the front and another at the end of the line. They ask the experienced people to go first and the slower riders to go at the end. I would suggest to go at the end, so you won't hold up the faster riders. They will also make a couple of stops to have everyone catch up and trade spots if they want. We did it a couple of years ago and my son 16 at the time had never been on one. He did fine and really enjoyed it. We have already rented our wave runners for our cruise this summer.

Do it, you won't regret it. :D

Madelyn

The waverunner excursion with the cruiseline is very safe. You drive in a line with a great deal of stopping distance between you. Before you take off they make an order based on how fast you think you will be going. I thought it was a trick question and hit my hubby in the ribs for answering yes when the guide asked who liked going fast. We were first in line and followed the main guide. There is another guide who stays back until everyone has left on his command. When he calls your number you take off, this allows for a nice distance between waverunners. He then follows the last person. On Coco Cay we all collected at a drug lords abondon house and heard the story of it. We then stopped at starfish alley where the guide picked up a huge starfish and let us pass it around. There were sting rays in the water at this stop too, fun to watch. We then went out to a lighthouse looking structure where the guide gave us a little more information about the island and answered questions. Back to the dock we went. According to the guide the waverunners will only go 45 at full throtle which we were. Those bringing up the rear were not going as fast which we didn't mind since it gave us more time at the stopping location to look around & ask questions. You will miss out on some of the questions but the guide always allowed questions and gave a speech once everyone had arrived. You never have to get off the waverunner so that is nothing to worry about either. One couple even traded places without getting off or falling over, hehe. You can't just blaze around like a crazy person. I think a 13 year old would love to drive but will be just as happy holding onto your love handle belt you will have to wear. Have fun making your decision.

Bon Voyage

Dawna

We rented a few years ago in Labadee. In the morning I drove with my 15 year old son as passenger and were at the front of the line. He wanted to drive but they would not allow it. We caught a lot of waves, and air, and had a great time. Early in the afternoon I drove with my 13 year old daughter and again had a great time. But, this time around the waves had picked up a great deal. We again were at the front of the line and hit some big waves and air. With a passenger holding on to your vest, the faster you go and more air you hit, it will make for some very sore arms and shoulders. Remember, the driver is holding on to the handlebars and the passenger is holding on to the driver. So, the driver is keeping two riders on the machine. Last year, my son was 16 at the time, and was allowed to drive his own waverunner in Mexico. There were some very good waves and he was riding at a good rate. He hit one wave and went flying head over heels over the front side of the machine. No damage done to him, or the machine, but he lost his Oakley sunglasses in the process. So if anyone sees a shark off the coast of Cancun sporting shades please return. Have fun.

I have never rented one on a cruise being we own a set and to me, the prices are high when it's something I can do at home... so I'm only speaking from personal riding experience.

The answer to your question is "It depends on the driver..."

We've seen some people do pretty bonehead things on them. Just like a car or anything else, YOU can be the safest driver in the world, but it only takes one "show off" to nose spin in front of you and loose control to ruin a good time or cause an injury...

We love them. They're a LOT of fun and I imagine a unique way to "sight see". If you do it, let us know how it goes when you get back! Good luck!

I have a 17 year old son, who has his driver's permit, but not a license. I'm wondering if RCI will allow him to drive a waverunner on Cococay. When I checked it out, the excusion says under 21 must show proof of license.

I'm sure everything has a risk but just curious as to how safe these are ... I'd love to do this with my son (13) but neither one of us have... Good idea or bad?

DH and I rented one on Jamiaca on a lad based vacation. It was the first time for both of us and I cannot swim. There was NO instruction of any kind other than how to turn it on and how to stop. Also, we were given a milage guideline but basically had free reign! My husband likes speed and was racing his friend and his wife. All I can say is that I am here to post about it!

Good idea or bad?

Your son will love it. I rented one past january in Labadee.

I had never 'driven' a waverunner before but since I drive a sport motorbike for fun in my spare time I thought it wouldn't be to hard.. I was lucky enough to be the first (after the guide) 'rider' of our group.

We first went in a straight line for say 200/300 meters and then made an near 90 degree left turn. Routinely I put my left knee out and started hanging to the left side in an attempt to copy the sharp left turn from my guide. As it turned out a waverunner is more like a bicycle then a like a motorbike. As a rusult my waverunner didn't move at all and continued the straight line.

It must have been a real funny 'picture' for the people behind me. Singing me hanging on the side of the waverunner and nothing happening.

It's quite fast. It feels simular as doing 180 (kph) on my bike on the road. You will need to be in good health because it is quite an intensive action to do but if you can... do it!!! My girlfield (who had here own waverunner) enjoyed it just as much as I did!

I don't know the circumstances, but my adult nephew broke his leg on one.

DH and teens rented them at a resort in St. Maarten, ds was 15 & they weren't going to let him drive his own, but I told them he had a driver's permit & they let him go alone. No guides involved or instruction either, just sign a waiver.

I'm sure everything has a risk but just curious as to how safe these are ... I'd love to do this with my son (13) but neither one of us have... Good idea or bad?

We rented the waverunners while on Labadee. They were a lot of fun. YOu have to watch a video and you do recieve instruction on how to drive them, etc. My husband drove and I rode. It is a great way to see the coast and a lot of fun even though we wiped out on ours!!! We were in a group that included some young adults who were goofing around and not going in the line as they were supposed to, therefore making HUGE waves that were impossible to avoid getting bumped around alot. We both knew it was just a matter of time before we were thrown off the runner. Onthe way back, the waverunner flipped and we went flying!!! Unfortunately the waverunner came down and hit me on the head but I survived with just a headache and a bump. My husband did a great save! :eek: The guides were great about getting us righted and back on, then we drove to a beautiful cove and sat for a bit while I recuped!!! The best part about this was that my very expensive brand new perscription sunglasses actually stayed on my head. I couldn't beleive it. Now, you have to take into considereation that I don't really swim so the waverunners were an experience outside my comfort zone. I would DO IT AGAIN in a minute, even after all that because it was so much fun. (I just would make sure that there weren't any show offs in our group):o

Guest OBAYbee

We own two 3 seat Sea-Doos. Love them!

In Alabama you must have a boaters license to drive one. That IMO is a GOOD thing.

We never rent them on vacation. You just don't know how well they have been maintained for one thing. You must also assume those riding with you and near you are for the most part inexperienced.

Three years ago my Sea-Doo was hit by a friend of my sons using our other Sea-Doo. He had never been on one before. The end result was: I now have a bone graft in my upper right jaw and 2 dental implants. When the Sea-Doo hit me, it flipped and the handle bars hit me in the right side of my head.

Just keep in mind.. they are machines some with inexperienced drivers. While riding one have fun but watch out for the other guy if you know what I mean ;)

Just be careful. There is someone killed on one here in the Tampa area about every other week. Recently a son killed his father, the father made a sudden turn and the son following right behind hit him. Other times, boats and wave runners collide.

Be careful, don't follow too close behind and stay away from where other boats are operating.

We have done this in Labadee and Coco Cay, loved them both times. We had never been on one before Labadee. RCCL trys very hard to make sure that no one gets hurt, they have rules and they have two guides (at least) that go with you, I never felt unsafe at any time, or at least any unsafer than with anything else. As with all things follow the rules and use good common sense!Things can happen even with the safest things. I met a lady on the ship one time that broke her foot while walking to dinner in her new shoes!

Thanks for this thread! I'm definitely planning to do the waverunners in Cocoa Cay. Couple questions:

Someone said you need to show proof of license -- do they check it on the ship, or do we need to bring license to the island? I'm not crazy about keeping important identification documents with me on the beach, but if it's necessary I'll pick up one of those water-wallet things.

It sounds like one of those straps that holds sunglasses on your head would be a good idea. Okay, that wasn't really a question.

Finally, I've already asked this on another thread, but I'll post it again: RC's website says that kids must be 10 to be passengers on waverunners, yet I know I've read reviews about younger kids riding. Has the rule changed, or were these reviews perhaps non-ship excursions, or what? I'm asking because my daughter will be 9.5 when we cruise.

I'm so glad I posted this thread... I LOVED all the replys you guys gave,,, thanks so much... It does sound like fun... Looks like alot of fun. I guess we'll just have to give it a try. Don't think this is something 'Grammy" will want to do but she can stay on shore taking pictures.. Someone mentioned if you have a bad back not to do this... Can I ask why? Is it too bumpy? Even if I drive it like a turtle? ps... I'll keep my eyes open for the shark with the glasses! It's now the 30 year anniversary of JAWS too.... Maybe we'll meet up with the next generation Jaws????? Yikes... That wasn't even funny... I remember watching Jaws like it was yesterday. I now feel kinda old remembering something from 30 years ago. This is gonna start another thread isn't it?

Someone said you need to show proof of license -- do they check it on the ship, or do we need to bring license to the island?

I brought my license to the island (Labadee) but nobody checked anything. U guess they check only the younger persons (I'm 32).

The waverunners have little compartment where you can store some valuables.

B.t.w... bring some money.. I can't speak for Coco Cay but in labadee there are some locals on the water trying to sell you some souvenirs. B.t.w if you tell them "no" they leave you alone right away.. they are noway near as agressive as on the Labadee market.

You will have to show your sea pass card. If you are under 21 you will have to show proof of a valid license. They can tell if you are under 21 by the hole(s) punched in the sea pass card.

I think they have lockers to put your valuables in so you don't have to just leave them on the beach unattended.

Madelyn

I drove one last year at Coco Cay with my then 14 y/o DD. We had a great time, although my arms hurt for a day or 2 after from gripping so hard. We may do it this year at Labadee if I can work on my upper body strength.The trick to me is the faster you go the smoother the ride. We were 4th out of 10-12 so we had to go faster than I cared to at least at first. By the end we were loving it. I felt quite safe because of the set up with the guides and speeds as described above. I'm sure you'll love it.

HI,

My son has his learner's permit also but would love to drive so I can take his 12 yo brother with me (there is just the 3 of us). Otherwise I would have to leave one of them on shore while 2 of us go. Does anyone know if a permit is good enough? He will get full license this fall.

Thanks

Seems those that had trouble or heard of trouble were not on Royal's excursion on either CocoCay or Labadee. We own a Sea-Doo and you can get way out of control without the structure of this excursion.

Price: It can sound expensive but rider goes for free so it's not so pricey if there are two of you.

Lockers: There are lockers on the backside of the Waverunner hut, ok they are not lockers just shelves. Keep this in mind when packing your bag.

Cococay is MUCH MUCH different then Labadee as far as vendors. This is off topic but comment above was correct about Labadee, stay clear of the vendors unless you are a tough cookie. We had two vendors fight over a $1 wood flute sale. Cococay in our experience (2 trips there) is the complete opposite. You have to engage vendors in conversation and prices are clearly marked. Cash only at either place.

Drivers License: We showed ours and had them on us. It's been a few months but I can't imagine we showed them without being asked. I am 38 & hubby 42 so we don't look like tinny boppers by any stretch of the imagination.

Excursion Times: We opted for the 11:30am tour because that gave you plenty of time to get off the ship without being rushed, warmer at 11 then the first tour at 8:30am and once your done the buffet had already started so the big lines had made it through. Don't worry they won't run out of anything, hehe. Plenty of time to eat and get shopping in before last tender.

Minimum Age: Hum 9.5 would be close but unless you feel like fibbing on the form you have to fill out & sign.... Wonder if the reviews read were by private operators which as you can see by broken legs & such don't seem to have any rules but get the money up front.

Know its a bit of time from the Freedom for us but that the Waverunner excursion is one were considering on Labadee since we loved it on Cococay.

BonVoyage

Dawna

It seems like they were alot stricter on Coco Cay than on Labadee.Not sure why and it may not be that way now as we have not been to Labadee in a few years. They did ask for license for the driver, and we seen them ask for weights of the riders too, as there is a weight restriction, not sure now what that is, it says on the excursion list.

I agree that we think that Coco Cay is alot nicer than Labadee, the vendor area is alot more plesant. Coco Cay is just a beautiful place. I cannot believe how much it has changed over the years. RCCL has put alot of money into that Island, and well worth it, that is one of our favorite stops, we are sorry that is not on the list of stops for us this cruise.

The waverunners have little compartment where you can store some valuables.

That's good to know. Would this compartment be big enough /dry enough to store a point-and-shoot camera? Or would this be too risky for a $300 item?

Minimum Age: Hum 9.5 would be close but unless you feel like fibbing on the form you have to fill out & sign

No, I'm not trying to get away with anything that would be dangerous for my child. Sometimes it's just hard to know what's a hard-and-fast-rule and what's a suggestion (for example, jeans in the dining room and BYO sodas).

Carrie:

Waverunners are safe. It is the other operators you need to be concerned about. I have done the waverunner tour in Labadee in 5-7 foot swells, with a passenger. It was quite a ride, but they were safe and reliable in this controlled environment. Living in Florida, I can tell you that there is an accident or two every year involving waverunners. If I look back, most, if not all involve people who either are not aware of what is going on around them and thus are being reckless or people who are under the influence of alcohol. Enjoy the waverunners if you get a chance. They are truly a fun ride!!!

That's good to know. Would this compartment be big enough /dry enough to store a point-and-shoot camera? Or would this be too risky for a $300 item?

I'm not 100% sure; it's been a few months already since I 'drove' it. I actually didn't use the compartment myself but the guide showed it to use. If I remember correctly it's big enough for a small camera but dry... I would not bed on it.

To be honest I took my chance with leaving my camera on the island but that's not something I would recommend.. The boxes aren't really lockers and anyone can access them... If I would of thought of this on forehand I would probably put the camera in a plastic bag and then in the compartment.

Archived