Coffee on Princess Cruises

coloradocruisers101

Thanks for this great write-up on coffee. I am also a big K-Cup fan. My favorite blend is Green Mountain Breakfast Blend and the Donut Shop Medium Roast Decaf.

Question - Have you compared prices for K-Cups at different stores? I've checked a bunch of stores and it seems to me that Bed, Bath and Beyond have the best selection and prices.

Just thought I would chime in here. I love my K-Cup Keriug Coffee Pot! That is the best Valentines day gift I have ever boughten myself.

I tend to buy my K-Cups on the Keriug website. They have a rewards program and it comes in a reasonable time. I also buy them from Costco and split the boxes with a friend of mine. That way we don't always have to have the same kind. I find Target has some good sales on them also from time to time.

I guess we just like the flavor of our burnt Starbucks coffee ;)

Tried the other flavor of the VIA we received as a gift, it was the Columbian. Still tasted like instant coffee to me.

I had a co-worker a fe years back that roasted and sold coffee, I bought a couple lbs. from him. It was really horrible. He charged a whole lot more than Starbuck does for whole roasted beans. I had to do some quick talking to get out of his sales pitch. He even brought the coffee to work and would brew it, I just couldn't drink the stuff...it was oily and definitely tasted burnt. It was really weird the day he asked for donations for his coffee, no one would give him money because none of us would drink it...I guess he didn't notice he was dumping out an almost full pot every single day.

I think we drink too much coffee to get a single cup brewing machine. My sis has one and we love the coffee they fix, but we go through a whole 12 cup pot every day. We brew it and transfer it right to a thermos so it doesn't sit on the heat.

I think we drink too much coffee to get a single cup brewing machine. My sis has one and we love the coffee they fix, but we go through a whole 12 cup pot every day. We brew it and transfer it right to a thermos so it doesn't sit on the heat.

How does that last pot of coffee taste out of each can versus the first pot when you open the can?

I would like to see the buffets on ships install Keuring machines for the passengers to use, with K-Cups they bring on board or K-cups they could be selling in the store on board. Keurig would probably give them the machines for the exposure it would give them to the people who have never tried it.

This is a brilliant idea! Please suggest this to Princess, I'll back you up!

It could be that you are "drinking too much coffee". I probably was when I brewed a whole pot at a time, even if and when I ended up pouring some down the drain. Using K-cups, you would probably cut down on consumption. I did.

Most "experts" would agree that drining coffee in moderation is not bad for you, but excessive coffee drinking could be harmful.

Hi all cruise friends. Just wondering your thoughts on coffee on Princess. Last time on the Sapphire, we had horrible coffee everyone on the ship except the specialty places. Just off the Crown last month and the room service coffee was actually good which we had every morning. Of course this is knowledge after packing a small pot in our luggage. Could have brought more shoes! :eek:

I know coffee like food can be subjective. DH is a coffee snob, and he even said he was drinkable. Your thoughts to help others not to waste space in luggage.

Warm Regards,

Sharon

I agree with your coffee comments. The coffee served at buffet is terrible. However, the coffee served in the dining room is good, not great. I buy the coffee card (the cost of which has increased every time I cruise) and it entitles you to free drip coffee at the barrister bar. Of course, the speciality coffees are very good. Forget the Coke card, go for the coffee card.

Sewbsy

icon11.gif

In a word: Yes.

You get to have breakfast in Sabatini's.

While there you can enjoy fresh brewed coffee, Espresso and Specialty Coffees, and the special Teas at no charge and without a coffee card.

Rick

Thanks a bunch, Rick!

I am so happy to hear this. Although still have the quandary about hauling a coffee pot to South America or waiting for the delicious first cup and going to Sabatini's. I did check the location on the deck plans!!

I think it's the same fleet-wide. I was on the Coral recently (sister to Island) and the room service coffee was exactly the same as it was on the Golden, Ruby, etc. Anything people have said in this thread about how they like the coffee should apply to any of the ships.

...... We brew it and transfer it right to a thermos so it doesn't sit on the heat.

I will only consider a coffee maker that brews directly into a thermal carafe. There is no need for a heater in the bottom (which makes it safer, too.) The heater continues to cook the coffee, which ruins the flavor.

I really like my current one, which burr grinds from a bean hopper right before brewing directly into a thermal carafe. Yum!

I really like my current one, which burr grinds from a bean hopper right before brewing directly into a thermal carafe. Yum!

I would like details on such a marvelous contraption. Not necessarily for taking on a cruise, but it sounds ideal for the kitchen!

Rick

admitted coffee snob

I would like details on such a marvelous contraption. Not necessarily for taking on a cruise, but it sounds ideal for the kitchen!

Rick

admitted coffee snob

Rick, it's none of those in the above post. It's a a Cuisinart "Fully Automatic Burr Grind and Brew" DGB-900BC. (http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DGB-900BC-Automatic-Coffeemaker-Stainless/dp/B000T9XPHC)

My second one of the series. Love it! (Sipping some delicious Island Blend from World Market right now.)

And, yes, it's great in the kitchen.

• 6 months later...

Our Peruvian waitress (didn't get her name) at the Santa Fe dining room convinced me to purchase the card when I ordered a decaf cappuccino after our first dinner. I thought at first that it was just an upsell, but I'm glad I went for it anyway. The HC coffee was drinkable, but as someone who grinds his own beans in the AM, I found it lacking. As LES (NSWP) said on thread 1489905, "any coffee is better than no coffee." The IC brewed was much better than the concentrate coffee and some of the specialty coffees were exceptional. My wife (a confirmed tea drinker) even liked some of them.

I only managed to use 13 of the 15 punches (my wife didn't go for the fancy teas, prefers Lipton) so if anyone wants the card, I'd be happy to pass it along as I won't be back on Princess :( for a long, long time, if ever.

• 2 years later...

I haven't cruised with Princess in years, prefer Rcl. I booked a Thanksgiving cruise with Princess this year, I forgot about the coffee syrup. It was horrible and I'm not even a coffee snob. Well I guess I will be buying a couple of coffee cards. Princess has a good scam going for them.

I haven't cruised with Princess in years, prefer Rcl. I booked a Thanksgiving cruise with Princess this year, I forgot about the coffee syrup. It was horrible and I'm not even a coffee snob. Well I guess I will be buying a couple of coffee cards. Princess has a good scam going for them.

Scam??

Many restaurants have concentrate as well. Is that a scam? Hardly.

Have no issue with Princess coffee concentrate or fresh brewed.

Depends on the ship - Royal and Regal have better free coffee.

Most people don't have a problem with the coffee in the buffet or dining room. I know I don't. It's a matter of taste and preference. As I posted on another coffee thread, I've found that if you like Dunkin' Donuts coffee, you'll probably think the ship's coffee is fine. If you prefer Starbucks, you won't. Personally, I think Starbucks is so bad that the few times I've tried it, I had to toss it out as undrinkable. So, it's really a preference.

I agree that it is a matter of taste. I enjoy Dunkin Donut coffee and I have no problem with the coffee on any cruise line on which we sailed.

We have found on 8 Princess cruises that the coffee is horrific.The coffee in th ebuffet is made from a serup.We always buy the coffee card and use it for the regular brewd coffee as well as for the fancier ones.

In defense of Princess we have found on the other lines that their regular coffee is equally horrible.

IMHO

Jeff:(

I'm hitting the like button on this one.

Tony

• 4 weeks later...
We both have coffee cards which we purchased. The International Cafe has great coffee and specialty coffees, too. I sometimes just throw something on quick and run down in the AM to pick up our coffee on the balcony.

Will be on Caribbean and Regal in December. What is the price of the coffee card? If I don't use all 15 punches on one ship, can I use the remainder punches on the other ship or must I buy a separate card? Thanks.

Will be on Caribbean and Regal in December. What is the price of the coffee card? If I don't use all 15 punches on one ship, can I use the remainder punches on the other ship or must I buy a separate card? Thanks.

You should look at the Princess website for details. I think they're $35 and yes you can use any unused punches on future cruises. Some people have reported unlimited brewed coffee as long as you have at least one unused punch. (Punches are supposed to be for speciality coffee)