Share Private Tours

lgfromdg

We'll be on the Epic in May and are really having a problem deciding between ship sponsored and private tours. While it would be nice to save some money on private tours, a big concern for us is how comfortable we would be in the vehicles used by the private tours. I've taken private tours in the Caribbean and Canada and the seating has left a lot to be desired. Since we're getting older with teh accompanying aches and pains, climbing into the back of a van isn't as easy as it used to be and having 3 adults squished on a bench seat in the back isn't very comfortable.

My question for those who've taken these shared tours is - what did you think of the comfort of the vehicle provided? If there were 8 people, did you have to climb over the middle seat and then have someone sit on a small jump seat in the middle row? Was there one tour operator who provided much more comfortable vehicles?

Thanks for any guidance you can give us.

We've put together tours with Romeinlimo on our roll call for many years. I've never been stuck with a van with no one to join me. Please please do not go with the ship tours to these amazing cities! Romeinlimo has a tour share board. But I truly think you'll do just fine in getting someone to join you on your roll call. That ship is huge, you must be able to find a few :D Have a great time!

Generally speaking, all of the vans we had from RIL were pretty spacious. Some were larger than others, but that wasn't always a negative (for example, driving through Positano). Either way, I don't think anyone was compacted in a party of 8 and we all traded positions on various legs.

Another option is to limit the group size to 6 people instead of 8. We choose to do that when we use RomeCabs to go from Rome to the port. We get a group of 6 rather than fill the van with 8 people and all their luggage. We just pay a little more per person and nobody is cramped.

That would be more important on a long tour, especially if it is hot out.

We have done three ports with Rome in Limo, one with a independent tour guide, and one with RomeCabs. Everything from six people in a mini van to 14 of us in a 15-passenger mini bus with a guide and driver. We were always comfortable, but since these tours were shore excursions, there was no luggage storage needed. Like others have said, it's a much better experience with vans than a bus -- better air conditioning too :D

And the tour sharing option really makes for a competitive bargain compared to what you get on the (cattle) cruise ship sponsored tours. Only have a group of 6-8 people to do the tour with, not 30-40 people on a bus you have to wait on to get on and off. Plus the vans can go down the more famously narrow streets that a bus never could. Just sayin'....;)

there are several private tour companies well reviewed on these boards

most use 8 seater mercedes type vans which are new spacious and extremely easy to get in and out of

I've never heard anyone complain about the type of vans you experienced in Canada and Caribbean

We take private tours as my husband has 2 metal hips and needs a van easy to access!

We have always been able to fill the van with other tour mates from our roll call

Archived