Let's talk Lobster

marym933

Thank you for all the helpful comments! I think we'll give NCL lobster a try. We can do our specialty dinner on the second day which is a sea day. It won't be as rushed as embarkation day, especially since I want to be on deck when we go under the Skyway bridge. I've been under it 3 times and it is always a thrill.

Keep in mind the dining rooms will be very busy on the first night.

Lobster comes with steak or fish. Just ask for two tails instead. It is not the best but four of us found it very tasty last year on the Epic. They are bigger in the paid restaurants but remember lobster is an extra charge in those places

Normally when you ask for two, you get two full meals. It's kind of a PITA but it worked. As mentioned, the lobster was doable but I would have not ordered in a restaurant at home......That and they spoon butter on the tail when they deliver so no warm butter to help.

So, if I understand correctly, they always serve lobster in the main dining room on all NCL ships on the first night on the ship? Can kids have it too? My 11 year old has wanted to try it and we are sailing on the Jewel to Alaska in June.

Thanks - Kim

So, if I understand correctly, they always serve lobster in the main dining room on all NCL ships on the first night on the ship? Can kids have it too? My 11 year old has wanted to try it and we are sailing on the Jewel to Alaska in June.

Thanks - Kim

Yes, you are understanding correctly! Order away!

Thank you for all the helpful comments! I think we'll give NCL lobster a try. We can do our specialty dinner on the second day which is a sea day. It won't be as rushed as embarkation day, especially since I want to be on deck when we go under the Skyway bridge. I've been under it 3 times and it is always a thrill.

You are on the Dawn one week before Me! Have a great cruise

Pictures can't tell you how something tastes. Something can look beautiful but be totally inedible. I'm not suggesting the lobster on NCL is totally inedible, but I can tell you that most anyone who knows what good lobster from cold waters such as those from Maine and Nova Scotia tastes like will be ordering something else on lobster night in NCL's MDR.

We're doing a Canada/New England cruise on the Gem in September, and our "shore excursions" will revolve around eating lobster in our ports of call (all of which we've visited in the past) and finding which lobster we like the best. NCL's lobster will not even be invited to the "contest"...it's already been disqualified for impersonating a lobster.

Enjoy your cruise. September is a beautiful time to enjoy this area.

There is nothing that can compare to a steamed Maine lobster. On our last few cruises with Carnival, broiled Maine lobster tails were served. They were tasty, but couldn't compare to a fresh steamed lobster. If you have the opportunity to indulge yourself with lobster, make sure it's from the cold waters of the North Atlantic.

We'll be sailing on the Pride of America, our first NCL cruise since '98. It'll be interesting to see what "type" of lobster will be served.

Good to know you can ask for melted butter on the side.

Will they let you just replace the steak with a lobster and get two lobsters instead? I'd rather not even eat the steak.:)

Maybe I can say I'm a seafoodtarian if there is such a thing...:D

Nope. A couple of weeks ago when I place my order for Steak and Lobster, I said two lobster tails (knowing they were small and quality somewhat iffy) and she responded with "OK, two steak and lobster dinners". Obviously, I got two plates.....

If one thinks about the way the ship's kitchens operate and the mass production, it makes sense. Back when, I used to absolutely pig out on lobster night but with these lobsters, it's nothing worth getting excited about (unfortunately).

Nope. A couple of weeks ago when I place my order for Steak and Lobster, I said two lobster tails (knowing they were small and quality somewhat iffy) and she responded with "OK, two steak and lobster dinners". Obviously, I got two plates.....

If one thinks about the way the ship's kitchens operate and the mass production, it makes sense. Back when, I used to absolutely pig out on lobster night but with these lobsters, it's nothing worth getting excited about (unfortunately).

This is not always the case. We got our steak & lobster plates, and then they brought out 2 plates of just extra tails (4 on each - there were 6 of us at the table). And ours were quite tasty and larger than we'd had before. Is it Maine lobster? No, and it's not billed as such.

If lobster is your thing and you are silly enough to judge your cruise on the lobster served in the MDR go the Red Lobster the night before departure for Lobster Fest. Pretend you are on your first night of the cruise and I guarantee this will be 100% better than any lobster served in any cruise line's MDR, which isn't saying much.:eek:

Just off Jewel 12 nighter. To answer one question, we did not have lobster night the first night as that night was also the divisional playoffs and it was a longer cruise. Generally on a 7 nighter you can count on embarkation night being lobster.

Happy to say that the small Caribbean lobster tails have been replaced by cold water tails. We were told by the Fleetwide Exec. Chef that they are 5 oz. tails, served with a 5 oz. steak. DH ordered this and really enjoyed both. I didn't want steak because we had been to Moderno the night before so requested 2 tails. Actually the Maitre d' had to approve this.

Best lobster tails we've had on Norwegian in a long time. Jaja and others here mention having good tails on Jewel a couple of months ago so not sure when they made the improvement.:)

We sailed on the Sun Jan 6-16 and had the Surf and Turf the first night. Having grown up on Cape Cod, I know I'm spoiled when it comes to good seafood and I can't say what kind of lobster was served that night, but it was definitely not Maine lobster. Not nearly as tasty. The size was decent, but I think it was a bit overcooked - as was the steak. It was the ONLY meal that I was disappointed in during our 10 day cruise.

Ken

Archived